NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Things that people say that wind you up

Hate for people doing things is such a common occurrence that I can't bind it to particular things. It's just become a continuous, all encompassing feeling of dire, baleful rage.

How has no one said YOLO yet?

About a month ago someone said YOLO to me and I said "what?"

I was quite pleased that I didn't know up until then. What a stupid fucking thing to say.

Didn't the term "GTFO" carry an infraction in this forum a few years ago?

Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Didn't the term "GTFO" carry an infraction in this forum a few years ago?

Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

No, that was the GTFO clan.

A friend that my housemate and I invite around all the time has replaced a word in the popular phrase FML... He's replaced the last word with 'arse'.. He says it out loud all of the time, whenever something bad happens to him in any game we play etc. etc. The worst part is that it caught on amongst our mates, so now everyone is saying it.. Goodness knows what the others who live in our apartment block think of it all =/

"Am I the only one that thinks [iNSERT MAJORITY VIEW]"

Drives me absolutely fucking nuts.

4240352.jpg

Edited by Jim

How has no one said YOLO yet?

Because...YOLO!

I hate 'man cave' and 'man flu'. Bleurgh.

What is man cave?? Man flu I don't mind so much, cos I'm like 120% sure it actually exists, but man cave is...?

The whole 'LAD' thing. Fuck off.

I dunno, I don't mind it in the ironic way. There's that facebook page(lad bible maybe?) that quite amuses me.

What is man cave??

A room for grown men to keep their toys and, I assume, masturbate in private.

Tbh, thinking about it; whilst I get the point of most of the things in this thread they don't irk me terribly irl. Some are annoying, but my biggest peeve with people is saying things that aren't quite what they mean.

'I could care less' for example is a perfect example of being exactly and completely opposite/wrong to what you mean. My biggest, possibly without a doubt, pet peeve are people who say things in the extreme - usually done so in a negative context(probably due to trying to make a point).

'Omg, you lost my letter? That is the worst thing you could have done to me' no, no it most likely is not.

'Omg, you found my letter! This is the best thing anyone could have done for me!' no, no it probably isn't.

'Omg, you lost my letter? This is the worst thing that has happened to me today' ok yes, that may actually be true.

'I'll never be the same again' Are you sure?

'I don't know if I'll ever be the same again' Well, that is a legitimate opinion to express.

The above sounds really silly/petty, unfortunately I couldn't think of any decent examples. Classics are my parents saying you have to do this, or must do that - but no, that isn't the meaning of those words/terms. I maybe ought to or should do the things you're talking about, but I really don't like full blown certainties/resulting dichotomies. I wish I had better examples, but I just grossly dislike expression of opinions/uncertainties as fact or with much more certainty than warranted (ie 100% when it's not) .

Unfortunately, I'm sure I'm quite guilty of it sometimes, too.

*definitely didn't make the joke peeps already made, here*

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

'I'll never be the same again' Are you sure?

Yes, yes I am. I can say that at any point in time, and be 100% certain that I am correct.

What is man cave??

A mangina.

"Do you know what i mean"

Thats annoying

804.png

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING?

'You know?' 'You get me?' etc.

'Literally' when used for emphasis that is not needed or for emphasis in general. Want to use emphasis, use another word.

'Could care less' obvious why.

'Same difference'

'or whatever' so what you said could mean anything?

I get that language is fluid, but evolve in a way that makes sense.

It is a bit different but if I'm having a sort of disagreement with someone but it isn't an argument yet and they say "alright, calm down", it will become an argument.

You can debate and have a disagreement and still be calm but something about being told that I'm not calm makes me really angry!

Maybe they're saying it pre-emptively because they know you will need to calm down.

"Women shouldn't build muscle, muscle is a masculine thing"

Ah, now here we have someone I wanted to start a separate thread about, but here will do:

"Be more ladylike!"

Translation: Acquire a small set of semi-useless skills; be able to talk relatively coherently about the weather and food; wear dresses all e time even in winter; speak only when spoken to; find some rich twat to marry you and produce babies.

Conclusion: Shut up.

"Man up!/Be a man about it!"

Translation: I am not smart or emotionally mature enough to accept that males have complex emotions, therefore I am forcing a stereotype on you in order to deal with something I don't understand. No, I don't mean grab a spear and go hunting; no, I don't mean have forced painful sex with females who get nothing from the experience; no, I don't mean go chop down a tree, just... Just... Just do what I expect you to do!

Conclusion: Would you say it to a woman? Shut up then.

"Man up!/Be a man about it!"

Translation: I am not smart or emotionally mature enough to accept that males have complex emotions, therefore I am forcing a stereotype on you in order to deal with something I don't understand. No, I don't mean grab a spear and go hunting; no, I don't mean have forced painful sex with females who get nothing from the experience; no, I don't mean go chop down a tree, just... Just... Just do what I expect you to do!

Fair go mate.. man up a bit ey?

Fair go mate.. man up a bit ey?

Has your lot even discovered fire yet?

The kind of people who do this will see a woman and think "if I comfort her, she may sleep with me".

I hate the phrase "Strong female character".

People who use the term "strong female character" are mostly male writers who are really bad at writing women. Mostly because they separate them into some different species other than human who only talk about the male characters or sex up every scene they're in.

And it's so used and abused. For example Catwoman in Arkham City is so clearly written by a man who uses that term.

I'm sorry, but...

I don't mean to be annoying, but...

I'm not racist, but...(usually followed by saying something that is probably racist)

I'm not being awful, but...

Yes, I don't like those things either. It's like:

"I'm not sexist but...(some sexist comment goes here)"

"I'm not being a bitch but...(some bitchy comment goes here)"

"I'm not being funny but...(you get the idea)"

I don't like those. Just come out and say what you have to say. I don't really mind "I don't mean to be annoying but..." because that could be genuine. The person might not mean to be annoying but feels a nuisance but the one that gets me is "I'm sorry but...". Why are you apologising for what you have to say? Just say it! 9/10 it's not even offensive, it's just a meaningless opinion.

I think I've said this before as well but I don't like street talk. I HATE being called "blood", "fam" or "cuzzie".

Yes, I don't like those things either. It's like:

"I'm not sexist but...(some sexist comment goes here)"

"I'm not being a bitch but...(some bitchy comment goes here)"

"I'm not being funny but...(you get the idea)"

Except for the last one they probably aren't being funny. Quite the opposite.