N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

The great thing about motioninjoy is that its compatible with all sorts of pc games including normal pc controllers. The 360 controller only works on certain games which tend to mostly be console ports.

If I understand what you are saying, then you are kinda wrong there:

"Most modern games support Xinput. This 'Xinput' is a thing that allows you to use a game pad (Like the X360 controller for Windows) in a game. Xinput does not take hardware into consideration, meaning any Gamepad (Including the DualShock 3) can use Xinput as long as they have the Drivers. Warframe uses Xinput, meaning as long as you are using a Xinput supporting device, you can play it with said device."

Also guys, really stop using MotioninJoy. For me, it had adware/spyware that upon my computer starting up, would open particular websites. I tracked the cause right to MotioninJoy and after a quick google search, found that I wasn't the only one. For some other unlucky people, it installs faulty drivers that cause BSOD.

Some games do have mods that change it (but probably not many).

Dark Souls is a good example. Phantasy Star Online 2 is another although that was built into the game.

Edited by Deathjam
Automerged Doublepost

Sony set to announce PS4 launch timing for Japan

Sony has today announced that it'll stream the SCE Japan PlayStation press conference this coming Monday, September 9 via the PS Blog.

The English translation will starts 7.00am BST. Sony is set to announce the launch timing of the PS4 in Japan and possibly a few more launch games for the region. Whether we'll see any of the new titles remains to be seen. We do hope so.

http://www.shopto.net/news/43982/Sony-set-to-announce-PS4-launch-timing-for-Japan/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I tend to wake up at about 6:30am these days so I expect I will probably watch this live

If the Dual Shock 4 rumours are true then you wont need to manually install a driver for pc usage. It will be installed as a direct input device. Sony should support Mac's for controller support. I would love that. Windows is very outdated nowadays.

If I understand what you are saying, then you are kinda wrong there:

Nope. Xinpunt is MS's own proprietary, 360 controller system. Its pretty shitty for support actually. Only MS seem to support it hardware wise. PC manufacturers have not had it easy though as software support for 360 controllers(Made by MS) are strong in console to pc ports. Its fractured the peripheral support on pc's. The best devices cant use xinput as its pretty weak so some manufacturers have just stopped bothering altogether.

Nope. Xinpunt is MS's own proprietary, 360 controller system. Its pretty shitty for support actually. Only MS seem to support it hardware wise. PC manufacturers have not had it easy though as software support for 360 controllers(Made by MS) are strong in console to pc ports. Its fractured the peripheral support on pc's. The best devices cant use xinput as its pretty weak so some manufacturers have just stopped bothering altogether.

What is so bad about xinput when most controllers are based around the design of the 360 and ps3 pad (for obvious reasons)?

I had a look at an old pc controller I had from years ago. If you are referring to the extra crap they put on the controllers then I'm glad that isn't supported so well as those superfluous buttons and extras barely get used and really aren't even needed.

Apologies for being so offtopic.

What is so bad about xinput when most controllers are based around the design of the 360 and ps3 pad (for obvious reasons)?

360 controller made by MS.

I had a look at an old pc controller I had from years ago. If you are referring to the extra crap they put on the controllers then I'm glad that isn't supported so well as those superfluous buttons and extras barely get used and really aren't even needed.

Apologies for being so offtopic.

They are needed. A good example is steering wheels. The best Fanatec 'official 360' wheels supported by the 360 can not use many of its features. On PS3 and PC(and PS2) you can use more of these features and get a better experience. 900 degree steering wasn't even supported until very recently on xinput/360( even Playstation '2' had it). This stuff is a huge deal in racing games for example. Which is why some joke about MS caring about fps more than other genres. Obviously pc steering support is a big deal in racing games. Even Gran Turismo focuses on pc wheels mainly.

No need for apologies. Its on topic as PS platforms support pc inputs via USB or bluetooth. Its up to the individual games or manufacturers to take advantage. I hope we do get some solution for touch pad and motion control on the PS4 controller and pc's.

I can understand people hate adverts built into programs but there is nothing as thorugh. With motioninjoy you can shut it down after setting though and play games. On steam plenty of games don't use the 360 controller so having classic pc input mode is big.

360 controller made by MS.

Apart from the Dpad, the 360 is a fine controller template even though I prefer the DS3.

Which is why some joke about MS caring about fps more than other genres. Obviously pc steering support is a big deal in racing games. Even Gran Turismo focuses on pc wheels mainly.

In all my years of gaming I have never bought a steering wheel, but I am not a driving nut.

I can understand people hate adverts built into programs but there is nothing as thorugh. With motioninjoy you can shut it down after setting though and play games. On steam plenty of games don't use the 360 controller so having classic pc input mode is big.

Also, it's not the adverts IN motioinjoy that are the problem, it's the websites it opens up while you play, the fact that it's sending information to servers in china and that it can seriously screw up bluetooth and usb components with it's shitty drivers. It's also a right bitch to uninstall requiring registry editing.

A sum of the good that xinput has brought it:

Xinput standardized what it meant to use a controller on a PC game. Most games that come out today support xinput, and because of this, they can tell the player to press the "A" button, or "LB" button, and it will always mean the same thing. Back when directinput was the standard, games couldn't really consistently put button icons into their UI's, or even guarantee that your controller had two clickable analog sticks.

Differences between Xinput and Directinput:

1. XInput supports only "next generation" controllers. This limits it basically to controllers for the Xbox 360 that also have Windows drivers. Legacy Windows controllers, joysticks and generalized force-feedback devices are not supported.

2. XInput supports a maximum of four controllers at a time. This is an Xbox limit, carried over to Windows. Although as of 2010 few PC games require more than four controllers at once, DirectInput itself has no such limitation.

3. XInput does not support keyboards, mice, or mouse-type devices. While this mirrors Microsoft's recommendation not to use DirectInput with these devices,[8] programmers can use DirectInput with these devices.

4. XInput supports maximum of 4 axes, 10 buttons, 2 triggers and 8-direction digital pad per controller, compared to DirectInput's support for 8 axes, 128 buttons, and full-range POV. (Incidentally, the number of axes, buttons and triggers XInput supports corresponds directly to the Xbox 360 controller.)

5. XInput support only very basic control of vibration motors. Which is in contrast with the great amount of various effects supported by DirectInput..

IMO most of the directinput stuff is superfluous to a typical game player's needs for example '128 buttons'.

These days, you would be very hard pressed to find a recent game that is designed for controller's, yet doesn't support the 360 pad and in kind, the DS3 as well.

I don't know what these supposed adverts in Motionjoy are. I've never had any.

Yeah mine does not open up websites. So i am not sure whats up? Sounds dodgy. I havent updated mine in ages though so is it new versions of the program?

Mine is basically ads in the program. I can close it any time i like for the session and no need to keep it open.

Either way i still want to dump it and go the PS4 route.

Edited by Choze

Also, it's not the adverts IN motioinjoy that are the problem, it's the websites it opens up while you play, the fact that it's sending information to servers in china and that it can seriously screw up bluetooth and usb components with it's shitty drivers. It's also a right bitch to uninstall requiring registry editing.

This has never happened to me, on several machines and many many hours of playing. Think you might have something else on your machine causing that...

This has never happened to me, on several machines and many many hours of playing. Think you might have something else on your machine causing that...

I know it was motioninjoy. Repeated scans detected the file, which was a part of motioninjoy, not an infection, and it happened as soon as got that program. As soon as I uninstalled it, problems stopped AND several google searches confirmed that other's had the same problems. Older versions of the program on other computers didn't give this issue but somewhere something changed and motioninjoy is just not trustworthy anymore.

Some links for further evidence, not proof, as it doesn't seem to effect everyone, but this is the exact problem I had: http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/MotioninJoy

Neogaf thread reporting problems

EDIT: I guess no one believes me so I'll leave it at that. If it works for you with no problems then that's great.

EVEN IF none of that happened and it was just a nice little program that did exactly what was on the tin, I would still recommend the SCP driver I linked over MotionInJoy. It's smaller, easier to install and run, and just more convenient overall. It simply tricks the computer into thinking the DS3 is a 360 controller. It was developed out of a need to get around MotionInJoy, actually, but isn't as popular or well known since it hasn't been around as long.
Edited by Deathjam

I know it was motioninjoy. Repeated scans detected the file, which was a part of motioninjoy, not an infection, and it happened as soon as got that program. As soon as I uninstalled it, problems stopped AND several google searches confirmed that other's had the same problems. Older versions of the program on other computers didn't give this issue but somewhere something changed and motioninjoy is just not trustworthy anymore.

Some links for further evidence, not proof, as it doesn't seem to effect everyone, but this is the exact problem I had: http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/MotioninJoy

Neogaf thread reporting problems

EDIT: I guess no one believes me so I'll leave it at that. If it works for you with no problems then that's great.

I agree if you dont need the other features such as emulation of pc controllers and other systems then use alternatives as they are simpler.

p0BkvHP.jpg

Wipeout: Warehouse Dodgems ? No wonder Studio Liverpool got panned.

Edit - That's actually just made me really sad that there won't be a PS4 Wipeout. That would've been a real tempter at launch, HD still looks gorgeous.

Edited by dwarf

Wipeout: Warehouse Dodgems ? No wonder Studio Liverpool got panned.

Edit - That's actually just made me really sad that there won't be a PS4 Wipeout. That would've been a real tempter at launch, HD still looks gorgeous.

Well...Sony still own the the franchise, so here's hoping they throw it to some other studio. Still, I can't imagine a launch window for a Sony console without Wipeout.

Japan date revealed.

Sony has announced that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan on 22nd February 2014, several months after Europe and North America.

It's the first PlayStation console not to launch first in Japan.

To make up for the wait, the Japanese version will include a digital download of launch platformer Knack and a year's extended warranty.

Sony named the Japanese launch details at a press conference in Tokyo this morning.

Man, bad news for Sony fans in Japan (I bet that Nintendo are breathing a sigh of relief right now!)

The PS4's launch lineup in Japan is looking pretty damn weak too...

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Totemo E Mahjong Plus (ASW)***

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] FIFA 14 (Electronic Arts)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Natural Doctrine (Kadokawa Shoten)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Strider (Capcom)*

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Extreme Legends (Koei Tecmo)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Square Enix)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: A Real Reborn - Beta (Square Enix)*

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Yakuza Ishin (Sega)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall (SCE)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Doki-Doki Universe (SCE)**

{2014-02-22} [PS4] DRIVECLUB (SCE)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Knack (SCE)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Hohokum (SCE)***

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Resogun (SCE)***

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Dream Club: Hosts Girls on Stage (D3 Publisher)***

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku (Hamster)***

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)

*=Undecided

**=Free to play

***=Digital only

Not counting their first party titles (of which all of them other than Knack are western focused and developed by western studios - and that latter game is not only included with the first run of consoles, but it's also not exactly looking like a great title anyway, with about as much hype as a wet fish), they don't have a single exclusive retail title.

Considering that it's gonna retail for about 40,000 yen, who in Japan would buy the console for THAT lineup when all of those 3rd party titles are also gonna be on PS3?

Sony don't need to rush in Japan. There's absolutely no pressure on them. It's the US they're gunning for, and need, and that line up reflects it.

Edit:

Got to say, this cell-shading is...phenomenal.

Edited by Daft