NEurope
Charlie

Tennis 2013

That was incredible. Can't believe he did it in straight sets. Djokovic was gracious in defeat, a true champion, but Murray ruined him over those 3 sets. Some of the shots he made were amazing, I can't believe how many times Djok tried to play a drop shot or smashed a shot wide and Andy just got there time and time again. He fought for every point.

Loved that.

I'm so happy for Andy Murray, a great win for British tennis, while you could argue that Novak Djokovic was tired from his grueling semi final win you gotta hand it to Andy Murray to make the most of the situation.

So so happy after that. Murray's performance was impeccable. He got absolutely everything back today. By far the best player.

I've been following Murray since 2004 when he won the junior US Open and 9 years later he's finally proved to the world he's a grand slam champion having won 2 Grand Slams. Next stop World Number 1. I think he'll reclaim the US Open in August and be World Number 1 by the end of the year.

Loooool, genuine facebook status update from somebody I went to school with:

"What a final from Murray - He's really made tennis big in Britain now."

laughing-puppets-o.gif

Just honoured to have it happen in my lifetime, considering it's been that long since a brit last did it -- and over a century since a Scot managed it. I love this kind of history-in-writing stuff!

Well done to Andy Murray - an amazing achievement particularly after coming back from last year's defeat. It was a fantastic final to watch right from the very first rally and will be remembered highly imo up there with recent Wimbledon finals between Federer & Nadal. Am I in the minority in just not caring about the whole 70+ years since a Brit won Wimbledon that the media hype on about? For me, it's about appreciating high quality tennis regardless of their nationality. Having said that, how shocking was Djokovic at the net?! He had so many opportunities to volley a winner but Murray ended up winning the point. Novak must have felt everything was against him today.

A most excellent match, Murray kicked some serious ass today. Congrats indeed.

We watched the first set. To be honest, I was amazed this morning when I woke up and saw Murray did it in straight sets, Djokovic is such a talented player.

To beat the world number one -and Djokovic was BEATEN - is a fantastic achievement.

Hopefully now my dad will shut up about Brits being in love with big-hearted underachievers like Frank Bruno, Tim Henman and the England Football team.

That was some game. Murray went after any and every available point. Returning some shots he had no right to hah. Great match. Not quite sure what was wrong with Novak. Agree with @Charlie in that I can see him retaining his US Open title.

Reading in other areas people questioning if he'll be knighted soon, or if he'll be knighted at the end of his career, Has he done enough to warrant being knighted now? I'd say his contribution to British Tennis / British Sport is defiantly worthy of it. In comparison to some other sporting personalities that have been knighted while they are still active in their sporting careers.

Is he already an OBE or CBE? If he isn't knighted he'll definitely be on the honours list.

Well, if you look at what Wiggins did to become a knight, then yes. It's hard to compare the different sports but British Grand Slam champions aren't exactly a plenty, let alone multiple ones. Not forgetting about the Olympic Gold as well.

I'm glad he won it, he played very well. I only caught the last set, but it was still incredibly nail-biting.

However, i don't see what's particularly historic about it if you have to add 'since 1936' after the achievement.