N-Europe

Am I the only one...

Daft

Basically, I want to use a twist on the phrase 'Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.' in some writing at work. But absolutely no one recognises, what I thought was, a very famous line from Shakespeare's Julius Ceaser (I didn't know which play it was in and I've never read Julius Ceaser...I don't think, but I knew Shakespear wrote it).

So am I the only one who recognises/knows this line or am I surrounded by people who had an enjoyable childhood while I sat in a dimly lit room absorbing a library of relatively useless information?

I need to know because I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Anyone else have these moments?

In order to not get that reference you've basically got to have never read a book or a newspaper. Even the sports pages would be bound to use the phrase from time to time.

Even if you've seen it multiple times, you may not know where it originated.

Uneducated swines?

Caesar*

EDIT: To be fair and all, just about everyone I meet thinks I have read every book, know all authors and have memorised every line of Shakespeare. I literally can't remember the name of the last book I read. Which is kind of a play on words. As was that.

I've heard the line before. Not heard it all of the time but I've heard it said before. I know how you feel though. Sometimes I can reference stuff and nobody at all knows what I'm talking about and I thought it would be something everybody knew. Screw 'em, that's what I say...not literally though...unless you want to and they want to then it's all good for you both...but...erm...yeah, have fun...

I know the line. Without trying to sound like a twat I've had to seriously dumb myself down just to talk to some of my friends. I can't think of any examples right now but a lot of the time I can't say what I want because I know they wouldn't understand. It's not a massive issue but it does get annoying.

I know the line. Without trying to sound like a twat I've had to seriously dumb myself down just to talk to some of my friends. I can't think of any examples right now but a lot of the time I can't say what I want because I know they wouldn't understand. It's not a massive issue but it does get annoying.

I don't think you do sound like a twat but I know what you mean. Not disrespecting anybody but I find it annoying when people say "Reem" or "Totes emosh" and shit like that. Half of the words I can just about translate to English but half of them are like "Ah yeah", smile, nod and walk off slowly. I don't think it's anything to do with dumbing down in my case but I can see where you're coming from.

It doesn't help that I have nothing in common with many of my mates either. The only ones I truly have anything in common with, really, are the friends I've made on the Xbox 360. We pretty much have the same sense of humour, the same likes and dislikes and we can have some seriously interesting conversations sometimes.

I don't really feel excluded or alone or anything most of the time but there are those rare times where I don't feel like me when I'm with certain people if that makes sense. It's like, you can be in a room full of people and you can still feel alone. Still, just crack a smile and tell yourself that they're the insane ones (even if they're not) and everything is usually okay! ;)

I've never heard the line. I think 'dumbed down' is a bit of excessive as reading Shakespeare is not a mark of intelligence, but of interest in literature. You wouldn't like people to say that you were too dumb to talk to if they were describing quantum theory (or Swahili culture) and you had no idea what they were talking about because you're not interested in it.

I got into trouble this year at Christmas with my family, they told me that they feel I am "Too smart, and insult our intelligence."

Apparently the correct reply was NOT "How can I insult that which you do not possess?"

So, I don't think I'm invited next year.