Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

People like Candy Crush. There's nothing wrong with that. Don't be so judgemental.

We should all be happy that gaming is becoming normalised. You'd have to be really narrow minded to think Candy Crush is actually bad for the industry. That opinion is Daily Mail-esque.

It's probably more accurate that 'smartphone crap' is killing Nintendo (since they tend to target less discerning consumer - as well as the few hyper-discerning ones). And since Serebii think Nintendo is the be-all, end-all of the industry, his statement isn't actually that inaccurate.

God @Ashley DONT BE SO INSENSITIVE.

Smartphone crap is killing the industry :(

I would much rather see people play Candy Crush than be burnt by consoles like they were with the DS/Wii. I know so many casuals gamers who purchased the DS and Wii for games like Brain Training, Nintendogs and Wii Sports and basically left them alone for months/years. It's a bit silly to expect them to buy a console from a manufacture that you support when it's terrible value for them. Candy Crush and mobile gaming has been fantastic as it's actually given people the opportunity to play games on the go without paying ridiculous amount.

Remember when Brain Training came out for £20? Laughable when you think about it. There's better stuff available for free.

I would much rather see people play Candy Crush than be burnt by consoles like they were with the DS/Wii. I know so many casuals gamers who purchased the DS and Wii for games like Brain Training, Nintendogs and Wii Sports and basically left them alone for months/years. It's a bit silly to expect them to buy a console from a manufacture that you support when it's terrible value for them. Candy Crush and mobile gaming has been fantastic as it's actually given people the opportunity to play games on the go without paying ridiculous amount.

Yeah, I agree with this. Trying to bring "casual" gamers into traditional gaming has never sat right with me. The idea that they'll be "converted" to core gaming would be somewhat sinister if it wasn't such a fantasy. I also know people who've bought these machines for Nintendogs/Wii Sports/Brain Training, then they try Metroid/Zelda and it's just too confusing for them. Not in a "needs to be dumbed-down" sort of way (please no! It's been tried), but on a fundamental level.

It's not that I'm a snob (I'm honestly not). Everyone should be welcome if they are interested in what gaming is, but trying to make gaming something it's not affects the hardware and software in a way that arguably satisfies no-one. If people are not massively interested in gaming, I'd rather they had Candy Crush to play on phones/Facebook instead of it influencing the existing industry.

Ubisoft take their second All Formats No1 of the year, and smash the week 1 sales record for new IP in the process as event title ‘Watch Dogs’ takes the crown.

It eclipses the new IP record set by ‘L.A Noire’ three years ago with an increase of 58%. In terms of units, ‘Watch Dogs’ breaks into the Top 20 for best ever launch weeks taking 17th spot on the list. The new release finds itself in good company with only titles from mega-brands GTA, Call of Duty, FIFA & Battlefield ahead of it. For Ubisoft it’s also a personal best with ‘Watch Dogs’ beating ‘Assassin’s Creed III’ as their biggest launch in the UK by 17%. By format PS4 dominates software sales, boosted by exclusive content and the release of a new Watch Dogs hardware bundle. This accounts for just over 53% of PS4 hardware sales while claiming the credit for a near 94% increase in total sales for the PS4 hardware format this week.

While there is no contest for top spot Wii U exclusive ‘Mario Kart 8’ races comfortably into second place. The much loved series makes an impressive debut becoming the bestselling week 1 for any Wii U title since launch and the second best in the Mario Kart series ever. ‘Mario Kart 8’ like ‘Watch Dogs’ also launches an official hardware bundle this week boosting the sales of Wii U hardware by a whopping 666%, of which 82% are the Mario Kart 8 Bundle. Last week’s No1 ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ (-65%) makes way for the newcomers, dropping down to round off the Top 3. With half term in full swing many titles benefit from increased sales. ‘FIFA 14’ (+46%) is at No4 while ‘Minecraft: PS3 Edition’ (+20%) continues to sell strongly despite dropping to No5. Outside the Top 10 there’s a re-entry for ‘Borderlands 2’ which is propelled back into the chart at No18 thanks to the release of the new PS Vita version.

Good result!

Individual Format Top 5

Individual Format charts:

#1 Watch_Dogs PS4

#2 Watch_Dogs Xbox One

#3 Mario Kart 8

#4 Watch_Dogs 360

#5 Watch_Dogs PS3

Edited by Serebii

It's a great result but between being outsold by the PS4 and even the XBO versions of Watch Dogs individually - as well as the use of % (and then a % of a % for the bundle) - it's clearly not even close to good enough.

To be fair, the PR isn't from Nintendo, it's from the chart company who only ever do percentages rather than sales figures. And remember that Watch Dogs was a Tuesday launch as well. It's a good result for Nintendo in the UK.

Still, a good start, hopefully it has some legs on it, or should I say petrol in the tank, to keep selling.

It's a great result but between being outsold by the PS4 and even the XBO versions of Watch Dogs individually - as well as the use of % (and then a % of a % for the bundle) - it's clearly not even close to good enough.

Perhaps, but factor this in.

Watch_Dogs was the biggest launch of a new IP in the UK ever.

Watch_Dogs had the 17th biggest launch in the UK ever

Mario Kart 8 had the 2nd biggest launch of a Mario Kart game in the UK ever.

Stop looking at the percent and thinking that means it's bad. Also, like Mr-Paul said, this wasn't a Nintendo release, but a Chart Track one and they ALWAYS use percentages.

Edited by Serebii

The percentage increase doesn't really tell us much, but the fact that it's the 2nd biggest launch for a Mario Kart game ever in the UK is definitely a positive sign :)

Interesting that the hardware increase is smaller than the increase that the Wii U got from Wind Waker HD (685%). Hopefully it will last longer though :)

True, but I suppose we can note that MK8 has been in the top 5 of Amazon's best sellers for the past 2 weeks though. That's something that TWWHD never managed to do, not by a longshot...

Edit: It seems to be doing even better on Amazon US. It's even beating Watchdogs PS4! :o

Edited by Dcubed

The percentage increase means very little without hard numbers.

Hopefully MK8 will have legs.

Didn't expect MK 8 to do this well. I'm surprised it beat the PS3 and 360 versions of Watch Dogs, what with their large install base. Congrats Ninty!

Not really. Thankfully gamers have moved to next gen very quickly and don't want the inferior last gen ports.

The percentage increase means very little without hard numbers.

Hopefully MK8 will have legs.

Not really. Thankfully gamers have moved to next gen very quickly and don't want the inferior last gen ports.

Didn't Watch Dogs start as a PS3/360 game? Surely it's a port on to the next gen systems!

Regardless, the point is still relevant as there is undoubtedly a huge install base on both those consoles, as shown by sales figures for Titanfall 360 and Minecraft PS3. People have taken to next gen quickly yes, but for MK to outsell one of the years biggest launches on the consoles with most users is still mighty impressive.

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora

I suspect that the PS4 and Xbone versions will fall down faster than their last gen counterparts though... After all, Titanfall 360 went on to stronger legs than its Xbone counterpart...

Stands to reason that PS4/Xbone owner would be first in line for the game when they have nothing else to play and it's not hard to imagine that last gen laggards might be slower to get in on the action.

Good result!

Individual Format Top 5

A girl at work was talking about taking her son to the Watch Dogs midnight launch at a local supermarket. She was complaining about it being £50 and that you play a cyber terrorist. Erm, don't let your kid buy it then? Idiot-parenting that its best. ::shrug:

Ubisoft are booming tbf and it's great to see them still on the WiiU. How long for is another matter though.

They have successfully captured what people refer to as the 18-25 market, but haven't forgot their creative heritage through titles such as Rayman and Child of Light. They also make damn good games!

I also think that due to the support given by their government to embrace the medium of videogames, their business is solid and is paying dividends. It's amazing how some governments will support their industries. It's a shame that the UK didn't do enough to support their huge pool of talent, resulting in massive losses to its software developers. :indeed:

Stands to reason that PS4/Xbone owner would be first in line for the game when they have nothing else to play and it's not hard to imagine that last gen laggards might be slower to get in on the action.

Yeah...that boat departed white a while ago.

I have quite a few games to play now on my PS4. In terms of games coming out at the present, they're nearly all coming out on the next gen systems too, while there are also some next gen only games. I could quite easily imagine there being a threshold where when a certain number of games are released on a next gen system, people will upgrade. It looks like a lot of people are jumping systems now.

I also think that due to the support given by their government to embrace the medium of videogames, their business is solid and is paying dividends. It's amazing how some governments will support their industries. It's a shame that the UK didn't do enough to support their huge pool of talent, resulting in massive losses to its software developers. :indeed:

We've just changed all this! giving the same initiatives as the film industry, which is excellent excellent news, so I think all this will begin to change now.