NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

I keep reading about weekly game sales and I'm constantly amazed how GTA V is always in the top 10. Most of the time it's even in the top 3, just like this week in the UK.

8 hours ago, drahkon said:

I keep reading about weekly game sales and I'm constantly amazed how GTA V is always in the top 10. Most of the time it's even in the top 3, just like this week in the UK.

I am amazed by this also. Either it keeps selling big numbers or it doesn't take many units sold to be in the top 3 or so. 

People buy an xb1 or PS4 and they purchase GTA V. 

Nintendo should paid whatever it took to get a GTA V port. It would of sold plenty on switch. 

Those weeks Japanese sales will be interesting. Splatoon 2 will sell bucket loads but how much hardware have they managed to supply to to the market? 

These supply issues don't look ending anytime soon.

A lot of people buying GTA V now are doing it for the online so it would depend how well the Switch would actually do with it and how off putting the current options for chat etc with the app are.

52 minutes ago, liger05 said:

People buy an xb1 or PS4 and they purchase GTA V. 

Nintendo should paid whatever it took to get a GTA V port. It would of sold plenty on switch. 

Those weeks Japanese sales will be interesting. Splatoon 2 will sell bucket loads but how much hardware have they managed to supply to to the market? 

These supply issues don't look ending anytime soon.

Would the game even be able to run well on the Switch?

8 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Would the game even be able to run well on the Switch?

The 360/PS3 versions ran pretty well so it could run those fine or maybe a slightly gimped version of the current game.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The 360/PS3 versions ran pretty well so it could run those fine or maybe a slightly gimped version of the current game.

Is the Switch Skyrim game the enhanced version or the 360/PS3 version? Did that even come out?

I guess they could just port over the old gen version of GTAV if they want to do it with the least amount of effort as possible.

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Is the Switch Skyrim game the enhanced version or the 360/PS3 version? Did that even come out?

I guess they could just port over the old gen version of GTAV if they want to do it with the least amount of effort as possible.

I'm not actually sure. In the initial Switch reveal people seemed to think it was the old version but as I expect that was probably fake footage I think it could be the newer one at this point. I havent really followed it past the original trailers (own Skyrim too many times as it is!)

3 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I'm pretty sure I read that it's not the definitive version.

Based on the IGN footage of it running on Switch, it is apparently the Special Edition (and sees to run very smoothly in portable mode at least).

Switch Hardware: 4.7 million

Software 13.60 Million.

Zelda 3.92 Million
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 3.54 Million
1, 2 Switch 1.22 Million
ARMS 1.18 Million

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/fin...oft/index.html

3DS hardware is 1% up YoY (950k), software is 31% down YoY (5.83 million).  And that's before the New2DSxl's release! Amazing! It just won't die!

• Like 1

On a similar matter...

Dragon Quest XI

2.08 million copies sold

3DS: 1.13 million
PS4: 950k

These numbers include DL card and console bundle sales, but doesn't include DL sales.

Disappointing result for the 3DS, but a fantastic result for PS4.  S-E really did release it far too late for 3DS... Makes you wonder how much Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are going to suffer now...

Edit: Switch sold 90K last week in Japan!!! Halleluliah! It looks like Nintendo have finally started improving supplies of Switch consoles! :D

Edited by Dcubed

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

On a similar matter...

Disappointing result for the 3DS, but a fantastic result for PS4.  S-E really did release it far too late for 3DS... Makes you wonder how much Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are going to suffer now...

Edit: Switch sold 90K last week in Japan!!! Halleluliah! It looks like Nintendo have finally started improving supplies of Switch consoles! :D

Wasn't this a PS4 only title then they realized that how stupid that would be and developed a 3DS version?

3DS sold 134k which is a real good bump off the back of DQ being released. 

Hopefully now we will see no more 25k switch weeks due to limited supply. 

That Ratsuken site said they sold 1000 splatoon bundles in 1 min lol. The thirst is real!!! 

July NPD results:

1. Splatoon 2* 
2. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy 
3. Grand Theft Auto V 
4. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age 
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild* 
6. Injustice 2 
7. Mario Kart 8* 
8. Overwatch** 
9. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege 
10. NBA 2K17 
11. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands 
12. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered 
13. Call of Duty: Black Ops III 
14. Minecraft 
15. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 
16. MLB 17: The Show 
17. ARMS* 
18. Battlefield 1 
19. Mass Effect: Andromeda 
20. Tekken 7

* No digital sales
** No Battle.net sales

Switch was the #1 best-selling hardware for the month

Total: $588 million (up 19 percent from $496 million in July 2016)
Hardware: $182 million (up 29 percent from $142 million)
Console software: $263 million (up 17 percent from $224 million)
PC software: $14 million (up 14 percent from $12 million)
Accessories: $129 million (up 9 percent from $118 million)

“Total video game spending in July 2017, which includes hardware, software and accessories, grew 19 percent versus year ago to $588m. Growth was seen across all categories of spending. The launch of Splatoon 2 on the Nintendo Switch, and month 2 sales of Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy drove software gains, while new supply of Nintendo Switch and continued strength of PlayStation 4 pushed hardware higher.

“Nintendo’s Splatoon 2 was the best-selling title of the month. Three of the month’s top seven best-selling games are published by Nintendo. Nintendo was also the best-selling software publisher in July.”

Nintendo Switch

Splatoon 2*
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
Mario Kart 8*
ARMS*
1-2 Switch*
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers*
Lego City Undercover*
Cars 3: Driven to Win*
Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star*
Just Dance 2017*

Nintendo 3DS

Pokemon: Sun*
Miitopia*
Super Smash Bros.*
Pokemon: Moon*
Super Mario Maker*
Hey! Pikmin*
Mario Kart 7*
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia*
Ever Oasis*
Mario Sports Superstars*

The best-selling games of 2017 so far

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
For Honor
Grand Theft Auto V
Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
NBA 2K17
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

The best-selling games over the last 12 months

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Battlefield 1
NBA 2K17
Madden NFL 17
Grand Theft Auto V
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
FIFA 17
Final Fantasy XV
For Honor

Hardware & accessories

“Year to date, hardware spending has grown 20 percent versus 2016 to $1.6 billion. Performance of the Nintendo Switch continues to be the primary cause of the year-on-year gains. Sony’s PlayStation 4 is the best-selling hardware platform year to date.

Accessories for the Nintendo Switch and Microsoft’s Xbox One drove spending growth. Gamepads were the top-selling accessory types for both platforms. Declines in the Interactive Gaming Toys (IGT) segment lessened in July. The IGT segment was down only 15 percent in dollar sales compared to July 2016.”

Can't be underestimated what a great job Nintendo have done with splatoon. Incredible success for a new IP which plenty said would bomb. 

Switch demand still huge. 

• Like 1

Ubisoft's founding Guillemot family has today acquired another 1.75% of the company's share capital by purchasing 2 million shares at an undisclosed price; at the current worth of 56.25 Euros per share, the Guillemots likely spent about 112.5 million Euros on the acquisition. As of June 27 the Guillemot family owned 13.6% of Ubisoft's share capital, and following today's share acquisition that number rises 15.35%, with the family owning 20.02% of the company's voting rights. As of June, Vivendi owns 27% of Ubisoft's share capital and 24.5% of its voting rights.

However Ubisoft won't come cheap--Reuters estimates that Vivendi may have to pay $6 billion to wrestle control of the company away from the Guillemot family. Vivendi's net cash plummetted to $540.355 million as of March 2017, down 1253% since 2015 where it had $7.31 billion net cash.

Good stuff! Keep Vivendi the hell away from a full buyout.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3

Hahaha when I read about the Guillemot family I like to think about a family of Guillemots ahahaha!

Good news for Ubisoft.  Vivendi will be the worst for them if they ever took over.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

Wow... Marvel vs Capcom Infinite super bombed! Landing at No 16 on PS4 (Xbone version is completely absent from the charts), handidly outsold by Pokken DX (at No 5) and even the download codes for Pokemon Gold and Silver! (especially embarrassing considering that the download codes in a box were a limited edition release and the grand, grand majority of its sales were done via direct eShop downloads - triply embarrassing for that to happen in the UK, one of Nintendo's weakest markets even!).

Even Ultra Street Fighter 2 on Switch debuted higher than this! (No 10).  USF2 wasn't supposed to outsell MvsCI!!

Capcom have to be sweating profusely right now.  They're basically betting the farm on Monster Hunter World now...

Edited by Dcubed

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Is this physical copies only?

It's all physical.  We don't get digital sales generally, except in special cases where publishers choose to release them (Nintendo tend to give some limited information for their US sales for instance) or where there's a limited edition release of a download code (like with Pokemon Gold/Silver VC here this week).

In Japan, Famitsu also track sales of download codes in physical stores (you can roughly guess their sales by contrasting them with Media Create), but that's it.  Otherwise we know nothing.

Edited by Dcubed