Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

GAME Group what next?

flameboy

In terms of the Bournemouth stores (Game and Gamestation) they are both closed. Haven't heard about Castlepoint yet. The small one that Dyson was thinking of used to be in Borders, the book shop, but that closed a couple of years ago so there were only two stores in the town centre. According to my colleague they're gone.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of the Bournemouth stores (Game and Gamestation) they are both closed. Haven't heard about Castlepoint yet. The small one that Dyson was thinking of used to be in Borders, the book shop, but that closed a couple of years ago so there were only two stores in the town centre. According to my colleague they're gone.

Castlepoint is still active as far as I know

My local Gamestation closed down :(

They also closed 2 GAME and Gamestation in Newcastle. I'm assuming it's the one in Fenwicks that survived since it's the smallest. Edit: No it's not that one was closed.

One got closed in the Metrocentre as well.

Edited by Ike

There was a board outside my local GAME advertising the Star Wars Xbox pre-order deal, with an extra manager's special discount if you traded in your old Xbox over the weekend. It's been common knowledge on the web for weeks that these consoles won't be sold by GAME, so I just saw it as the store manager's cheap ploy to get used consoles for effectively nothing. Similar situation with games, they were offering special prices with store-made advertising advising people to trade in anything they weren't using for credit as the prices will never be as good again. The whole thing annoyed me on Friday/Sunday when I was in town. When I saw the news this morning it really hit a nerve, over the weekend I only suspected the company was trying to rob it's customers. The news that they weren't going to accept gift cards confirmed it (It's also interesting that you were still able to issue store credit right up to closing. Were you accepting it to pay for goods? My local stores weren't. Not sure if they were still issuing it or not though).

The Game in the white rose center in Leeds had the exact same offer for weeks (still present as of sunday) and i've been laughing at it ever since!

I do get the impression it wasn't a managers special based on store managers, but something the managers at head office have authorized managers to do (read as told them they should offer it) The staff in my local Game's had been lead to believe the issues were only temporary and/or lead to believe that the situation would be fixed soon

SO i honestly think "management" kept the stores and all staff in the dark to get these offers in place and screw customers over, then leave said staff with the problem and then sack them anyway

@Dyson i hope you survive at your current shop, but i hope you are looking for work actively because i wouldn't trust any assurances etc from the top of your company and their administrators!

Are the extended warranties still valid? i got one on my 3DS on launch day (when they were giving tickets to win your purchase with each purchase...i didn't win;( ) i was told if it broke outside of normal nintendo warranty to take it into my local game for repair/replacement (think it lasted 2/3 years) surely Administrators won't honour this?

Have you witnessed any violence? i read somewhere that there had been violence at some stores (after cancelling gift cards..) and police had to make arrests

How bad is the pay situation for you guys? if you haven't been paid are you going to take your pay in the value of goods? you surely are creditors yourself and deserving of some recompense

I know if i was a manager and staff wanted to take stuff as they got sack, i'd let them! hell i'd be right with them if i'd not been paid

The management need to pay for this, they got greedy and ran several companies into the ground (after buying them...still don't know why the monopolies commission wasn't involved)

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Cool that's good I rather keep my reward card thank you

What for? As a collectors item!? If they go bust it's gonna end up worthless....

Anyway they pulled the promotion because it was a bit distasteful let's be honest when people are losing their jobs.

The recent ShopTo promotion may have been a little distasteful depending on your outlook but you can't really blame them for trying, they are pretty much a better place to buy all your games from if you're really serious about gaming.

But each to their own of course as I know some will prefer browsing in an actual shop plus for people who maybe aren't all that clued-up on games i.e parents buying for their kids etc I'm sure the staff are helpful in those instances - I'm sure @Dyson gives good customer service for example - but still how often have we heard stories on these very forums about certain staff members who would make up complete BS just to get a sale... that's the side of Game I don't like.

I do feel bad for those honest workers though who have lost/could lose their jobs but I certainly won't mourn Game as a company as any 'good' memories I might have had about buying hardware on launch day from them have long since been tarnished by what they've become. :blank:

I don't see how the reward cards are related to the job losses, or how the promotion is in any way distasteful.

meh I can see why people woiuld find it distasteful almost a step too far in profiteering in others misfortune whilst there are people waking up this morning wondering what the hell they are going to do.

The recent ShopTo promotion may have been a little distasteful depending on your outlook but you can't really blame them for trying, they are pretty much a better place to buy all your games from if you're really serious about gaming.

But each to their own of course as I know some will prefer browsing in an actual shop plus for people who maybe aren't all that clued-up on games i.e parents buying for their kids etc I'm sure the staff are helpful in those instances - I'm sure @Dyson gives good customer service for example - but still how often have we heard stories on these very forums about certain staff members who would make up complete BS just to get a sale... that's the side of Game I don't like.

I do feel bad for those honest workers though who have lost/could lose their jobs but I certainly won't mourn Game as a company as any 'good' memories I might have had about buying hardware on launch day from them have long since been tarnished by what they've become. :blank:

I will never forget the time a guy in GAME stood and told someone that a PS3 would play PC games because you can install and run them off the HDD. The guy bought a PS3 with PC games...which he likely will have taken home and tried to install therefore opening the package and not be entitled to a refund.

Edited by flameboy

I will never forget the time a guy in GAME stood and told someone that a PS3 would play PC games because you can install and run them off the HDD.

you are joking?! worst i heard was a guy telling some old woman she needed to buy the kinect with the xbox she was buying for her grandson as you needed it to operate the xbox, but PC games on a PS3?1 thats in a whole new league of bullshit!

you are joking?! worst i heard was a guy telling some old woman she needed to buy the kinect with the xbox she was buying for her grandson as you needed it to operate the xbox, but PC games on a PS3?1 thats in a whole new league of bullshit!

nope he even pointed to the fact that the PS3 had a linux based operating system (not true obviously it used to be a alternative option)

Cube - just been to Sheffield, all game / gamestations are now shut except for the on gamestation in meadow hall.

We're going to need a solution for finding new games in the high street, my lad wanted poke park 2. Couldn't find it anywhere :/

There's a tiny little games place, just go up from the moor towards town and it's by the tiny little gregs.

Have you tried that at all?

Trade ins are crap, use eBay, you'll get more money.

Shopto have free next day postage, they usually send your item within 5 minutes of ordering, they send you photo confirmation, they're usually the cheapest, they have a loyalty scheme, their ordering is simple, quick and has more options than other online retailers (PayPal), they have very good customer service, they often/always send pre-orders early.

Literally shit on pretty much everyone else in pretty much every way.

Trade ins are crap, use eBay, you'll get more money.

Shopto have free next day postage, they usually send your item within 5 minutes of ordering, they send you photo confirmation, they're usually the cheapest, they have a loyalty scheme, their ordering is simple, quick and has more options than other online retailers (PayPal), they have very good customer service, they often/always send pre-orders early.

Literally shit on pretty much everyone else in pretty much every way.

Who would buy a NINTENDO Wii when the NINTENDO Wii U comes out

I trade it in so I get the Nintendo Wii U cheaper and why would you need a Nintendo Wii and a NINTENDO Wii U

You would get more on eBay than you would in GAME. Especially now.

And some people may consider the option of having a Wii as a collectors item, and a sentimental item more attractive than getting 5p for it. Or £20 or however much they sell for these days.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!