Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Netflix

Wesley

Anyone watched Good Girls?  Seen a few episodes so far and I'm enjoying it.  The leads are all great.

Been picked up for season 2 as well.  Hope Netflix release them weekly rather than waiting until its over like they did for season 1.

• 4 weeks later...

Trailer for the new Matt Groening series 'Disenchantment' premiered at Comic Con and I think it looks great, looking forward to watching it.

Netflix released another original sci-fi film on Friday, 'Extinction', which I watched last night and it's unfortunately another absolute stinker. Not quite as bad as 'The Cloverfield Paradox' but still a real mess of a film. It takes itself far too seriously and the 'twist' is clunkily implemented, the worst sin is that the cast just don't seem interested in their performances at all - Lizzy Caplan basically has nothing to do and Michael Pena really doesn't convince as a dramatic lead but I think that says more about the director and source material than their abilities as actors. 

Really like the look of Disenchantment. Its obviously got that typical Groening look to the characters but from the trailer it looks as though it'll share more in common with Futurama than The Simpsons, at least that's what I took away from it. If that's the case, it should be brilliant as even with some iffy episodes in the late seasons of it, I always felt that the writing for Futurama was always really well done. Can't wait to give it a go.

Netflix does have a strong stable of animated shows so it'll be interesting to see how it fares against them, especially with both Bojack Horseman (with this coming back in September for a 5th season) and F is for Family both being superb shows. The former has been one of my favourite tv shows of the last few years and has been consistently high in quality and despite Bill Burr's style of stand up not being my cup of tea, the latter show has been great through both of its seasons so far.

I suspect the Groening name is good enough alone to draw an audience but I'm hopeful the quality will be there to make good on it.

I've found myself watching a fair few cooking things recently. It started with Sugar Rush then attempted watching Nailed It but the host was too annoying to watch past the first episode (one of the lifelines in the show is that she annoys other contestants) as if she's trying to be the new Oprah. And fails. Then tried Americas Worst Cooks which was alright but it was a "celebrity" series and just wasn't that engaging.

Zumbo's Just Desserts was very entertaining though. It makes me want to learn how to make cakes and stuff.

Hopefully that and Gordon Ramsay's to Hell and Back can tide me over before a new series of Hell's Kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

My best mate and a few lads at work have been pestering me to watch Final Space. I finally got around to watching it all this week and found it absolutely hilarious. It's like a more modern version of Futurama. The first episode is a bit slow but episode 2-10 were great. It's nice that there is an overarching storyline rather than just been separate episodes. Apparently a second series is one being  made so I guess it's been really popular. Good stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My best mate and a few lads at work have been pestering me to watch Final Space. I finally got around to watching it all this week and found it absolutely hilarious. It's like a more modern version of Futurama. The first episode is a bit slow but episode 2-10 were great. 

Just watched the first episode and it is indeed a little slow. But it's funny and fun :D 

Here I go binge watch the remaining episodes :laughing: 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Everybody hates Kevin. :D 

Rightly so. But he's hilarious :laughing: 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nice to see you've changed your avatar to Mooncake.

How could I not, he's such a cute little fella. 

Just watched Episode 3. I love this show, thanks for the recommendation :D 

• Like 1

Just watched a trailer for it and it looks awesome. I'm needing to reactivate my Netflix what with Disenchantment and Bojack coming up (amongst other things I need to get back to such as It's Always Sunny) and as I've not had it for a few months, looks as though I'm eligible for a free month so get in :grin: means I'll probably activate it later or early next week and give Final Space a go.

Restarted my Netflix sub a couple of days ago and I've watched a couple of episodes of Final Space and I'm enjoying it so far. I wouldn't say it's made me go "Wow" so far but the characters are well written (love Mooncake especially, he's so adorable) and the story has been solid in the first half of the series that I've watched so far. Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the series brings and of course seeing more Mooncake.

Also watched half of the Dark Tourist episodes and I've enjoyed most of that. Wasn't fussed for the Europe episode as at times it felt more like a Louis Theroux documentary and if I'd wanted to watch that, there's plenty up on Netflix to watch. But interested to see the last couple of episodes.

I haven't, however, enjoyed the first episodes of Lost in Space and the fifth season of Arrested Development. I can see why the reception for the former was lukewarm as the writing isn't particularly great. I don't like the design for Robot and I don't like their interpretation of Dr. Smith. I get that's to differentiate from the original series and the movie but it seems a bit naff. I'll try another episode or two but I'm not sure I'll end up sticking with it, especially as I haven't finished Dirk Gently season 2 or watched more than the first episode of Altered Carbon.

As for Arrested Development, watching it I kind of felt like I did trying to watch the newer Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes: that they maybe should have left it alone. I'm hoping it improves as I go through some more episodes but it's not really seeming like much of an improvement on season 4 so far.

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Absolutely hilarious. :D 

Yeah, we've been watching a couple of episodes a night and quite like it. It reminds me of Scrubs in lots of ways. Charles/Boyle is my favourite character so far, although Terry Crews tends to steal every scene that he's in. His face just kills me, every single time.

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Absolutely hilarious. :D 

You've never watched it before? The thing is top tier comedy. Holt is one of the funniest characters I have ever seen in a TV show. I recently got a lad at work watching it and he adored it. I ended up going through the whole a lot again so we could have the banter. :D 

16 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Terry Crews tends to steal every scene that he's in. His face just kills me, every single time.

Yeah, he basically just has to make faces and say nothing. :D 

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You've never watched it before? The thing is top tier comedy. Holt is one of the funniest characters I have ever seen in a TV show. 

Nope, just started today. Basically every line makes me laugh :laughing: The writing is top-notch and the actors deliver each punchline perfectly.