NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

10 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Nope, just started today. Basically every line makes me laugh :laughing: The writing is top-notch and the actors deliver each punchline perfectly.

I hope to hear more of your thoughts on it as you watch them. The Halloween episodes are legendary. You're in for a right treat.

I love Brooklyn Nine-Nine, so glad it got a second chance after nearly getting canned. Hope they go out with a bang.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I hope to hear more of your thoughts on it as you watch them. The Halloween episodes are legendary. You're in for a right treat.

I'm 10 episodes into the first season and so far every episode has been legendary. 

I absolutely love Gina. Her lines make me burst out laughing every single time. :laughing: 
Then there's Diaz...badass and cold-blooded, but hilarious.

I could go on and describe how every character is hilarious but I'd rather continue watching the series.

Finished watching Final Space earlier today. Really hooked me in with the latter half of the series. The writing and story seemed a bit sharper and the events which unfolded were genuinely great. I think the slightly shortened episode length helped with that as the earlier episodes felt a little padded out at nearly half an hour. Even then, it was a great watch and I'm excited to see where they go next.

Spoiler

Didn't think Kevin dying would have any impact on me. He was clearly meant to be an irritating character but seeing him floating off and shutting down and the reaction of Gary got me, more so than Avocato's death though how they handled death across all the characters was well done.

I've been watching Disenchantment with the missus and although I've seen the mixed reception, I'm enjoying it so far. It definitely feels more like Futurama than The Simpsons, something which seems to have rubbed some propel the wrong way. It's not an out and out comedy; there's a few chuckles in episodes but it feels like they're going for the same kind of audience that some of Netflix's other animated shows are going after and that's fine in my books.

Every so often there'll be a moment that feels like it's pulled right out of The Simpsons and it's kind of dragged things to a halt from my perspective. That was always going to happen when you've spent 30 years working on that programme but I think Groening just needs to be a bit more sure about the show and it's specific themes and run with it and not look back. Futurama was at its best when it embraces the zany-ness of its characters and setting so hopefully there's a bit more if that in the last couple of episodes. If not, that's really where they need to focus going forward as it doesn't stand up to some of the other animated shows on Netflix. It's by no means bad but yeah, it needs to focus a bit more.

Rather than putting on another episode of Lost in Space to give it another go, i stuck in the first episode of Dark and absolutely loved it. Very intrigued to see how that progresses. And yes, I'm watching it in German with subtitles.

• Like 1

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is now my favourite thing ever. Just finished Season 1.

@Hero-of-Time you weren't kidding when you said that it's comedy gold.

My love for Gina continuously grows with every episode.

tumblr_o5k1cq4Q1y1v4zif4o3_250.gif

• Haha 1

We're almost at the end of the season, too. Think we're on episode 19 or 20 of Season 1. Terry Crews is all that I need in life.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Terry loves yogurt! 

Terry needs nutrients!

Spoiler

• Haha 2

While my brother is a fan, I never got into Brooklyn nine nine. I don't hate it, but I don't think it fantastic either. I'm in love with Stephanie Beatriz though! :heart:

In other news:

From the director of Blue Ruin and Green Room. Both fantastic films, so I am very excited for this one! Apart from the fact that I'll have to watch it on netflix and not in a cinema.

Started watching Brooklyn Nine Nine again last night thanks to this thread. I've already been through season 1-4 twice, as well as watching season 5 on E4, this year and here I am watching it again. I once again lost it at this part.

Never fails to crease me up. :D 

• Haha 1

"Didn't work."

:laughing: 

Watched the episode Halloween II last night. So good. Can't wait for the next Halloween episode :D 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Watched the episode Halloween II last night. So good. Can't wait for the next Halloween episode :D 

The way they continue on each year is fantastic. I love the competition between them.

Do you enjoy the openings to each episode? Some of them are absolutely hilarious. Here are two of my favs but i'll put them in spoilers due to them being from seasons 4 and 5.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Do you enjoy the openings to each episode? Some of them are absolutely hilarious.

Of course :D They're always the perfect start. Mostly self-contained little stories with great punchlines. Loved the one with Holt showing Jake his hula hooping photos :laughing: 

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Of course :D They're always the perfect start. Mostly self-contained little stories with great punchlines. Loved the one with Holt showing Jake his hula hooping photos :laughing: 

Haha. That's a great one.

"You sick son of a bitch!" :D

Spoiler

• Haha 1

Spoiler

Aaaaaawwwwww. Amy and Jake. Love is in the air. Sadly Sophia is still in the way :D 

Seeing Ed Helms as a guest star was awesome. Hilarious episode.

• Like 1

Just watched Season 2 Episode 2's Chocolate Milk episode.

Spoiler

Terry Crews was just too damn funny in this episode. Loved the scenes where he was under anaesthetic. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Due to this thread I fired it up as well. I think we've seen about 6 or 8 episodes now. I miss a story, every episode is just separate but I hope that comes along the way. It's good fun but nothing spectacular but I find.myself laughing a couple of times each episode so that's good. And my wife enjoys it, it's lightweight enough for us to actually watch a couple of episodes even though she's tired at night.

Oh man Brooklyn Nine Nine is awesome! I only started watching two months ago and binged all 5 series in about a week and a half! It’s awesome, it’s hard to pick a favourite character as they are all so well rounded but I do love Holt so damn much so many classic lines over the series

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, MindFreak said:

Due to this thread I fired it up as well. I think we've seen about 6 or 8 episodes now. I miss a story, every episode is just separate but I hope that comes along the way. It's good fun but nothing spectacular but I find.myself laughing a couple of times each episode so that's good. And my wife enjoys it, it's lightweight enough for us to actually watch a couple of episodes even though she's tired at night.

We started off the same. The first few episodes are enjoyable and there's not really a lot there that has you rolling. But, what makes it appealing are the quirks of each of the characters and how that's maintained over the seasons. E.g. Boyle's...well, everything tbh! Terry's love for his daughters (and yogurt), those sort of things. There are little odd-liners here and there that are cleverly worked in and lots of call-backs throughout the series to earlier episodes. Something could happen in one episode and then that's referred back to later, I guess the equivalent would be like when you're part of a group of friends and have your own "in-jokes" within that circe, it's a bit like that. I like it because there's a good core of characters there that you get to know really well, and they're all very likeable in their own unique way. 

Yeah it is one of those comedies that really just mines comedy out of characters (and in certain episodes, homages) so it takes a while - both for them to find that and for you to appreciate it.  Plus it took them a while to decentralise Andy Samberg.  I get why they did at first and I do like him/Jake, but once they start fleshing out other characters it really helps.

27 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Yeah it is one of those comedies that really just mines comedy out of characters (and in certain episodes, homages) so it takes a while - both for them to find that and for you to appreciate it.  Plus it took them a while to decentralise Andy Samberg.  I get why they did at first and I do like him/Jake, but once they start fleshing out other characters it really helps.

Yeah, you can really see this with Hitchcock and Scully. They aren't in it much in season 1 but this changes as the seasons continue.

In terms of a continuing storyline, this comes into play more in the second season. You start to see a story thread in a few episodes that carrys on throughout the rest of the season. Not to mention callbacks in each Halloween episode and a character that pops up in an episode every season.

I've got 3 more episodes to watch in season 1 (gonna put them on now) and it's been an absolute blast watching them again. 

Yeah, you can really see this with Hitchcock and Scully. They aren't in it much in season 1 but this changes as the seasons continue.
In terms of a continuing storyline, this comes into play more in the second season. You start to see a story thread in a few episodes that carrys on throughout the rest of the season. Not to mention callbacks in each Halloween episode and a character that pops up in an episode every season.
I've got 3 more episodes to watch in season 1 (gonna put them on now) and it's been an absolute blast watching them again. 
My favourite Scully quote:

Peralta: "Scully will fake a medical emergency."

Scully: "Don't need to fake it. Always having at least one."

Peralta: "Great."

Enjoyed watching The Expanse. They only have the first two series on Netflix. I’ve had to start s3 by using other means. Ahem. 

I heard it was cancelled and renewed for s4 by Amazon so I’m surprised it hasn’t appeared on Prime yet. 

Anybody watch 'Safe'? Once you get past Michael C Hall's dodgy attempt at an English accent, it's pretty good. My wife and I binged it in three nights.