NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

England Ladies just as good as the men from 12 yards. Why are we so shite at penalties?

This is how it's done England!

... Anyone posts the 2000 Uefa Cup Final penalties I might spend the night crying into my pillow.

Edited by Ramar

Actually apart from the one that went wide I thought the others were well taken including the captain who hit the bar at the end. Some of them were banged into the top corner and were better than some the men take!

Knew we would lose on pens though. Always the way with us regardless of gender. Was a great effort by the ladies though.

I get what you're saying Platty but a penalty that hits the bar and doesn't go in (how ever much power and how well it was struck) is a miss, its got be chalked up as a bad penalty. Low and hard, always better, especially when it's the last spot kick of the five.

Arsenal fans, are you thinking that Wenger has some great master plan up his sleeve? Clichy has left, it's looking increasingly likely the Fabregas and Nasri are going to be leaving too. If he's wanting to challenge for trophies hes going to have to splash some cash and buy some quality, battle-hardened players in! If they both leave the team will need strengthened in pretty much every position.

Arsenal fans, are you thinking that Wenger has some great master plan up his sleeve? Clichy has left, it's looking increasingly likely the Fabregas and Nasri are going to be leaving too. If he's wanting to challenge for trophies hes going to have to splash some cash and buy some quality, battle-hardened players in! If they both leave the team will need strengthened in pretty much every position.

I think most are a bit concerned, but I have no doubt that Wenger is working hard on it, he's not just going to amble along to the start of the season and then realise we're fucked. As for Nasri and Fabregas, they can fuck off for all I care, they've clearly no desire to play for the shirt. I'd happily take £60 million for those two, plenty able replacements available. They keep saying how they want to win trophies, yet they seem to forget that it's up to them as players to get the job done. They were both excellent before Christmas last season but when the job needed to be done and the pressure was on the line they both didn't turn up.

Here's signing number 1, Gervinho. Link

I'd rather we kept both Fabregas and Nasri, neither has particularly said anything wrong in the press. And I firmly believe Cesc loves Arsenal, Barcelona stir shit up and turn players heads more than anything. It's inevitable he'll go there eventually, hopefully we can keep him longer.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_7032855,00.html

So, it's looking increasingly likely Nasri will be off to Man City.

Don't think he's a player that they need, but they're stock-piling players to stop their rivals from having them.

I guess Sky does not listen to Arsene any more?

"Yes [i expect Nasri to stay as well]. There is always speculation when a player has one year to go on his contract that he might leave the club but Samir Nasri is very happy at the Club and committed to stay at the Club.

"I hope he will sign a new contract but I am not the only one to decide that."

Source

I guess Sky does not listen to Arsene any more?

Source

The BBC are running with the story as well.

Nasri has a year left, so Arsene has a number of options:

- Sell him on, use the money to bring in someone else

- Sell him in January if he's no closer to signing for a deal, but he will go for less money

- Keep him now, and let him go on a free transfer next year

- Persuade him to stay. He hasn't done this yet.

Cesc...well...he's gone already, imo. The longer Arsenal keep him, the longer the focus will detract from the rest of the team and the longer it will be kept on Cesc's future. It's a massive distraction and it no doubt will cause unrest in the dressing room if you're not sure if you're Captain is staying or going. A line needs to be drawn under it, which is either to sell him on or to properly tell Barca to fuuuuuuuck offffff. Cesc needs to do this himself. No more "I'm wearing Barca tops with my mates Puyol and Pique" bullshit.

I think Nasri will stay. I think he wants to see players coming in, and with Gervinho signed that'll help convince him to stay.

Essien out for 6 months after undergoing knee surgery. :(

There is a rumour that Chelsea may go in for Scot Parker to cover for Essien. Would be ironic as when Essien came in it spelt the end for Parker at Chelsea.

Read a article about how the sale of Fabregas would be an opportunity for Arsenal, the combination of his unable to play in the middle of a 4-4-2 and the fees mentioned would mean that Wenger would be able to bring in some suitable players and give him much more tactical freedom, it's a good read. Link

Also seems as if Tevez is moving closer to leaving city, if he went to Corinthians then fair play to him. He's said he wants to get closer to his family. Although it's nice to see South American clubs taking the European method and spending money they don't have.

I'm sorry but that article is a load of shite. Cesc can and has played in a 4-4-2. It is the managers responsibility to pick the team and set the tactics. Fabregas doesn't get a say in it, so any tactical faults should be at the managers door, not the players.

"With Fábregas in the team Wenger was forced to persevere with the same tactical template: there could be no Plan B of an open and counterattacking 4-4-2"

Without Fabregas we still played a 4-5-1/4-3-3/ 4-3-2-1 (take your pick).

Selling him for tactical reasons would be absolutely absurd, considering we're better with him than without him.

Admittedly, yes, you have played them, but not really effectively. It's merely an opinion and not meant to be taken as gospel and is a lot better journalism than the shit spouted by the Mirror/Mail. It is true though that Wenger's hands have been tied by the payers at his disposal and the injuries they have sustained.

Cesc is undeniably a great player, however it's been over 6 years now since the last trophy. It's quite simple, that is too long. Wenger can play all the nice football he wants, but he's going to need to convert that into points sooner rather than later and has the opportunity to reshape the team into a winning one. Arsenal have gone too long without winning anything.

Fabregas' role is not central to the style of football we play (however well it suits his game), it's a club philosophy brought in by Wenger. Our youth teams train and play the same way. If Arsenal need a change of style/tactics then it's not particular players that need to re-think their future, it's the manager.

However, strengthening the team whilst keeping our best talents, allows the manager to explore new avenues. I'll say it again selling Fabregas to change formation is absurd.

Wesley Sneijder? Yes please. Rather have him over Nasri and Modric. Can't see Inter letting him go though.

Rumour mill going full tilt at the moment!

"I heard that Liverpool will be bringing in Downing for £19million. Also that Baines will be comming for £16million + Ngog and Insua. And Lennon will be on his way to the reds for £15million and Aquilani as replacement for Modric"

Looks very ambitious but if true it would be really good for next season!

Baines? really, wouldn't of thought Everton would let a player go to their cross town rivals?

stranger thing's have happened I guess.

Like i said looks a bit optimistic, but we do need a left back and he is quality.

Sounds more like our wish list to me. Ive already read this morning that we got turned down for Baines and we were looking at Bridge now.

Sounds more like our wish list to me. Ive already read this morning that we got turned down for Baines and we were looking at Bridge now.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA Lol.

I wish Wenger would take a punt on Baines, but apparently Gibbs, Traore and Vermaelen is enough cover for left back. The Arsenal water tight defence: it doesn't rain, it pours.

Our first friendly today, KO at 1:45pm on Arsenal Player. Looking forward to seeing some of our youngsters put in a shift, especially Ryo Miyaichi, Carl Jenkinson and Emmanuel Frimpong.