NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

The thing about Villa Boas is he is 33. The same age as drogba and Lampard. Last time he was there his status was below them, he was an assistant scout. How will these players now respect the same guy because all of a sudden he is the manager?

I think he is a great manager but not for Chelsea. There are alot of egos there and you need a no nonsence manager there!

Indeed and without paying the 13.5mil buy out clause.

McLeash and Villa all over again??

I think it's a risky appointment. The guy has ability, no doubt about it, it's his total lack of experience managing, especially at the top level. I think he will do alright, not too good though hopefully.:p

Indeed and without paying the 13.5mil buy out clause.

McLeash and Villa all over again??

They'll pay it, for him to resign he has to front the £13.2 million release clause, that aint going to happen.

There is a pic floating around on the web of Andy Caroll and Downing holding a Liverpool scarf together.... fake?

There is a pic floating around on the web of Andy Caroll and Downing holding a Liverpool scarf together.... fake?

Yeah I saw that, it's photoshopped.

Chelsea have paid Porto the fee of his release clause.

I just hope that twat Abramovich has learnt something in the last month and will give the guy time to mould the team around his ideals.

haha Abramovich is such a joke.... Carlo is still the best man for the job.

Also, yeah having a manager younger than a number of the players... I can see all smiles to the press... but in reality, I'm not sure about this.

Also...

jakehumphreyf1 Jake Humphrey

How funny, I watched the Champions League Final with André Villas-Boas, told me Chelsea was a non-starter! Really decent guy, wish him well

Cousin posted this on his facebook;

Emile Heskey (England) 59 caps, 7 goals. Rene Higuita (Colombia) 68 caps, 8 goals. Jose Luis Chilavert (Paraguay) 74 caps, 8 goals. Unlucky Emile, the other two are goalkeepers...

Made me lol.

Look at how well england played when Heskey was in the side. Heskey gets alot of bashing but his hold up play and set up play is excellent. Yeah he isn't a finisher but that is what Rooney is there for!

So finally it's decided that we're going to have a GB football team competing at the Olympics with players from all four homes nations. Does anyone have any strong opinions on this?

I'm quite pleased they've finally made the decision, and I don't understand why people get so tetchy about it. We have always competed at the Olympics under the banner of Great Britain, there are other sports than football that have separate home nation teams and associations that have been able to compete under the Team GB banner with no issues for decades.

It's disappointing that people feel football is so high and mighty that it cannot be part of the unity and tradition of the Olympics. I'm half Scottish and half English and have always had a vested interest in both national teams and will be proud to see the nations come together next summer.

And it'll all be over in a week when we fail to progress from the group stages anyway.

Edited by killthenet

There will be a GB team, but will it truely be GB? Not if Scotland and Wales have anything to say about it!

They are not happy!

I've got mixed views on a team GB, I'd like to have a team competing in the tournament at the same time I couldn't give a toss. Euro 2012 will be just before, it will interfere with pre-season and possibly the start of the season. Not to mention it's basically an under-23s tournament.

Won't team GB just be the England squad + Bale? ;)

Plus to have Northern Ireland included it technically shouldn't be Team GB as they are not part of GB. Team UK however......

But yeah in truth, not overly fussed with Olympic football. Hasn't it got to be mainly youngsters or so with only x amount over a certain age?

it's an under 23 tournament with teams allowed 3 players over that age

England are garbage themselves, and other than Bale, who can the other countries offer? Ramsey is the only other one i'd want.

well none of the 4 home nations under 21s squads are anything to shout about

James Forrest of Celtic and Barry Bannan of Aston Villa are two players from Scotland who I think could easily get a place in the squad

Roberto Carlos has banana thrown at him during Russian football game

Russia has vowed to stamp out racism in its football stadiums before it hosts the 2018 World Cup after Brazilian footballer Roberto Carlos had a banana thrown at him.

By Andrew Osborn, Moscow

3:03PM BST 23 Jun 2011

The incident, which took place on Wednesday during a league match, prompted the 38-year-old 2002 World Cup winner to throw the banana back at the stands and to walk off the pitch in the city of Samara in disgust.

"I am really upset by what happened," the Brazilian said afterwards. "It was a nasty surprise and I really hope that the Russian football authorities get to grips with this so that the person who did it is found and punished."

Team-mates said Carlos broke down in tears when he got back to the dressing room and appeared crushed by the racist jibe.

"I am used to there being no racism in football," Carlos added. "Russia should not be an exception."

The Brazilian former superstar, who now plays for a Russian club called Anzhi Makhachkala, was targeted for similar racist abuse in March when a fan from a club in St. Petersburg taunted him with a half-peeled banana. In that case, the racist fan's club was fined the equivalent of 6,600 pounds and the fan banned for life from its stadium. In Wednesday's incident, CCTV cameras caught the man who threw the banana on camera and police said they were urgently seeking to identify him.

Meanwhile, the racist fan's club, Wings of the Soviets, called the perpetrator "a scumbag" in a statement, while the Russian Premier League appealed to fans to stop fellow supporters damaging the reputation of the Russian game.

"People allowing themselves such outbursts are sitting next to you at the stadiums," it said. "If you don't want your club to suffer, don't let them disgrace Russian football."

African players who have signed for Russian clubs in the past have complained of monkey chants and thrown bananas, while ethnic clashes that rocked Moscow late last year were organised in co-ordination with football fans. FIFA brushed aside claims that the Russian game was riddled with racism to award it the 2018 World Cup last December accepting assurances that the authorities would crack down hard on racism.

Just awful, for someone who has had such a decorated as career as Carlos. Unacceptable and understandable that he walked off. Them hosting the WC is absolutely bemusing. Started to look more into the whole Russian situation and found this for Peter Odemwingie, who after leaving Russia Lokomotiv Moscow's fans put up this banner.

_48897794_banner.jpg

However this has all just reminded me of this;

Which is definatly worth another watch.

Double Mergio: Also Unted sign Young. Good deal, english which is always a bonus, looking forward the new season.

Double Mergio: Also Unted sign Young. Good deal, english which is always a bonus, looking forward the new season.

How so? Those 7 letters cost you £10 million more than he is worth. Like Henderson, only £20 million because he's English and apparently that means something more than their footballing ability.

I think the Henderson deal is down to about £16 mill now. Still too much though obviously.

I used to always moan at the lack of English players in the league or in Liverpool but I really dont want them if we are gonna keep paying stupid money for them.

How so? Those 7 letters cost you £10 million more than he is worth. Like Henderson, only £20 million because he's English and apparently that means something more than their footballing ability.

Couldn't agree more. N'Zogbia would go for £8-10mil, and he's as good if not better than Young imo.

Not at all, simply because like any large club we can suffer from the 'six-plus-five' rule brought in by the FA to limited the number of foreign players in any teams chosen 25. This is why recently the top English talent has became so expensive and why clubs are willing to pay more money for them. Essentially the rules were brought in to stop the following;

article-1023043-016D914200000578-4_468x303.jpg

It's rather simple economics that shows that as there is a limited supply the price for English players will increase. After a whole degree in economics I can assure you that that is what is happening here. Also you and no-one else outside of United and Villa knows the fee paid, how it was paid and on what terms. United has listed an undisclosed fee and as they are not a plc are under no obligation to release his price. Anything in the papers is just an informed guess.

That's why he is worth and apparent £10 million more.

That 6-plus-5 rule rubbish was put to bed by the EU years ago, it completely goes against working regulation and law within the EU.

The only explanation for the increase price of English 'talent' is because there is some irrational fear that foreigners taking over our league ruins it. Greed and lack of professionalism is to blame. If English youngsters kicked out the chav boozing culture and worked harder on becoming a professional we'd see an increase of good English players coming through. Too much too young.

People in England are obsessed about players being 'hard' or quick, and totally disregard having a brain and technical ability.