NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

I know this is the spoiler free thread. But I just had to share this one.

Link dies in this game...

When you run out of hearts

On page 672 or what?

Seriously though, 7.5? I read the parts about control (there aren't any spoilers in that part, it's on the first page; just skip down to the third paragraph). They seem fair enough but the IR-thing is just plain stupid as the game doesn't use it as aforementioned. Furthermore, they complain that fighting takes time but they seem to think that waggling works in this game. On top of this, they mention a relatively fixed camera as negative which can be a point of issue sometimes, I agree.

They seem harsh but I look forward to judging it myself.

Edited by MindFreak

Hoping to get this tomorrow, mine was dispatched from GAME on Monday :). Going to need many AA batteries.

Well, got my despatch emails from Shopto. *Continues F5ing tracking page*

Was so hoping it'd be like my friend and Assassin's Creed. He gets the e-mail the same day as he gets it delivered

Gamespot are entitled to an opinion - even if it is the wrong one.

I never read Gamespot; but this strikes me as being a little too controversial - as if they're being controversial just for the sake of it (or, maybe simply to drive hits on the site).

The review is just not consistent.

Twilight Princess contains the same expertly designed puzzles and time-tested gameplay that you've come to expect from the series. 89.
From their Twilight Princess review

Those yearning for something new will be disappointed, but anyone thirsty for another exciting adventure will find plenty to enjoy here.75.
From their Skyward Sword review

Awarded 89 for being 'tried and tested' but 7.5 for being tried and tested formula (ignoring the fact that Skyward Sword goes shake things up a bit)?

Hoping to get this tomorrow, mine was dispatched from GAME on Monday :). Going to need many AA batteries.

I also got that email from GAME. I doubt the leave the building on Monday, they're probably on a pallet in the warehouse waiting for a courier to collect them today.

Edited by david.dakota

The reviewer apparently posted on NeoGAF in regards to the IR comment

'The aiming is messed up in Zelda no matter how its handled. And that"s all from me tonight'

Awarded 89 for being 'tried and tested' but 7.5 for being tried and tested formula (ignoring the fact that Skyward Sword goes shake things up a bit)?

Many views on this game are inconsistent across various reviews. From the motion controls that some love and others complain about, to the changes that some claim make the game feel fresh while others complain about the stale formula, to reviewers claiming it's not as good as other Zeldas while others claim it's the peak of the series.

If anything, it goes to show that there is a lot to love and some rough edges that are perceived very differently by different people.

Damn... I knew Gamespot sucked but this is a low blow, was it really worth knocking down the metascore of this game a whole Three Points for the sake of controversy and a few extra hits?

The answer is no but then I'd expect no less from such a poor site.

Ultimately I know this game will always be amazing and that Gamespot will always be despicable so I can learn to deal quite easily.

Anyway I should have my copy tomorrow and once I'm playing I won't care about a damn thing. [/apathy] :D

Damn... I knew Gamespot sucked but this is a low blow, was it really worth knocking down the metascore of this game a whole Three Points for the sake of controversy and a few extra hits?

The answer is no but then I'd expect no less from such a poor site.

Ultimately I know this game will always be amazing and that Gamespot will always be despicable so I can learn to deal quite easily.

Anyway I should have my copy tomorrow and once I'm playing I won't care about a damn thing. [/apathy] :D

It reads as if he had no idea what to do with controls. It appears he was "waggling" with it and using the bow with IR which isn't possible, hence poor controls

It reads as if he had no idea what to do with controls. It appears he was "waggling" with it and using the bow with IR which isn't possible, hence poor controls

Hence poor review, as the reviewer was 'doing it wrong' like a complete idiot but like I said this is the kind of unprofessional journalism that I would expect from such a poor site that doesn't take the time to review games properly.

It sounds like he did have a very clear idea what to do with the controls, except for the aiming issue he complains about. Aiming is supposed to work really well according to other people who've played it. The "waggling" he mentions has more to do with enemy design/behavior and pacing of encounters the way he describes it.

I wouldn't dismiss this complaint outright, because he's not saying these controls don't work, but he's rather complaining about the way they are best used. He might not explain it well, but from what I've watched in trailers and read from other people's impressions there is something to it. That's probably better to discuss once we've played the game though.

Edited by Burny

Gamespot were always going to do this!

In other news Shopto dispatched my copy! Got tracking number as set it for signed for Royal Mail have recently had a habit of putting parcels outside and not leaving a note this caused a book to get drenched in the rain no way I want my limited edition to be soaked! Unfortunately I won't be in when they likely deliver tomorrow but I'd rather make epic walk to post depot and have it intact than not.

I don't see how any game that gets a 10 from Edge can get a 7.5 from... anywhere. They clearly saw how the 8.8 Great got a load of traffic/ad revenue and decided that they needed to do that again.

Yet they give AC: Revelations an 8, Saints Row 3 an 8.5, Sonic Generations an 8? I love Sonic Generations, but somehow I doubt it's 5% better than Skyward Sword.

Tesco has dispatched. So should hopefully have it tomorrow or Friday :)

OMg my package from Tesco has arrived today!! But I have 2 pieces of coursework to finish due tomorrow!!! Ahhhhhhhh!:bouncy:

161120111030.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Rowan

Gamespot? please i stopped even reading them to laugh at after the claimed the 3DS was just a DS with a 3D screen with no hardware improvements (aka the same as an XL but with a 3D screen) that was about a week after a full release of information in which every other site was praising the new console

i hope shopto deliver it soon

Well mail has been and no Zelda >_>....will probably turn up tomorrow

Might arrive by van if you ordered the Wiimote bundle and/or tracked. People have gotten Mario Land according to Twitter.

I have a text from ShopTo saying my order has been packed with 1st Class(Signed for) but no emails, and nothing about dispatch either...

And Famitsu scored it 40/40 (this isn't the review, but don't klick if you're on a complete blackout!).

I know I told myself not to come to this thread, but could not help it. after I heard the gamespot review (lol next zelda game gonna be 6.5 calling it)

But Famitsu has now given 5 games on the Wii a perfect score, no other system has ever got that high.

And I know how some people think that they are irrelevant these days but I still think they are very excellent in the scores, all their high score games I play and love very much :D