NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Really nice cover artwork, and the symphony CD is really nicely presented with a beautiful leaflet. After all those years of getting neglected by NoE, Switzerland has been redeemed (even if it was just the retailers releasing games earlier than they were supposed to ;) )

I for one didn't care for it, so it doesn't bode well for me when someone rates SS lower that TP.

I wonder if that's because the reviewer was one of those rare fans that hold TP up as one of the pinnacles of the series. The fact that SS seems like it's very different from TP is probably a good thing to you and I.

So, are you people going to savour this...delay getting to the end as much as possible by doing side quests etc, or are you gonna blast through to the end as quickly as possible?

I'm going to play it at a normal pace, then do the remaining side quests later. Did that with Wind Waker. That 2nd week of gameplay, fully exploring the Great Sea, is probably the best gaming experience I've ever had. :)

I wonder if that's because the reviewer was one of those rare fans that hold TP up as one of the pinnacles of the series. The fact that SS seems like it's very different from TP is probably a good thing to you and I.

I think GamesRadar were saying that it's the equivalent of TP, with Skyward Sword doing some things better, and TP excelling in other areas, which is pretty much what I expected. Not sure why they didn't compare it to the N64 Zeldas - I think they were just comparing the three built on similar technology.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with @Burny. It'd just be bickering, and I don't feel like there's anything specific to respond to.

I will say though I probably haven't explained myself very well. I haven't judged Skyward Sword yet, I am excited about it and I don't care if I don't like it. If anything, I was saying I'm not worried about the motion controls, as the whole game seems very experimental. The Wii is the Wii. It's quite an appropriate time for an experimental Zelda.

I was only exasperated by two things: 1) people dismissing the slightly negative reviews (we don't know if they're right yet) and 2) Aonuma suggesting motion control is here to stay. I just think Skyward Sword should be properly evaluated first. Reviews are part of that, but so is gamer feedback. Like I say, the people who actually decide whether to buy it or not with their own money!

It is strange that all the shops in Switzerland are just ignoring the dates for this and Mario. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but couldn't they get in trouble or something?

I haven't had the opportunity to try out Zelda yet, but I certainly am anxious to do so. Until then Super Mario 3D Land is fantastic!

And i've read more times that TP is one of the low points of the series. It's just people's different opinion of the game. I for one didn't care for it, so it doesn't bode well for me when someone rates SS lower that TP. Like I said though time will tell. Also, I don't even rate WW as the best game ( where the hell did that come from? ).

I should know, as I do consider TP to be a "low" point for various reasons. The gamesradar reviewer you apparently quoted, considers Wind Waker the best Zelda game ever made ("Is it better than... Wind Waker? No – how dare you even ask. ...") and and he even wrote that TP and SS are more or less a tie, not that SS is worse. But you'd have to read the little text blurb that comes after their "is it better than X: Yes/No" for that. :heh:

he even wrote that TP and SS are more or less a tie, not that SS is worse.

That still doesn't fill me with confidence.

I don't get what the beef is? Is it somehow wrong for me ( on these boards at least ) not to be hyped? I feel that anyone who has the slightest bit concern or lack of hype is being pounced on.

I don't get what the beef is? Is it somehow wrong for me ( on these boards at least ) not to be hyped? I feel that anyone who has the slightest bit concern or lack of hype is being pounced on.

There is no beef, although you might provide the correct context when you quote. You simply quoted something, Grazza read out of it what he wanted to hear and that's it.

I think Wind Waker is a better game than Twilight Princess, the next Zelda fan on the street will think the opposite is true. Does it really matter how one particular person ranks his preferred Zeldas?

Lacking hype is a pretty good place to be I reckon. I had massive hype for both TP and WW and ended up being slightly disappointed by both of them.

This time round I am avoiding spoilers, (which helps on the lack of hype) but I have read some of the reviews. I could not help but be hyped a bit by the EDGE and Eurogamer reviews.

There is no beef, although you might provide the correct context when you quote. You simply quoted something, Grazza read out of it what he wanted to hear and that's it.

I quoted what was quoted on Gaf which I assumed was right. I'm not gonna check every review, hell i'm trying not read anything apart from the final words, hence me being in the spoiler free topic.

This time round I am avoiding spoilers, (which helps on the lack of hype) but I have read some of the reviews. I could not help but be hyped a bit by the EDGE and Eurogamer reviews.

I love reading Eurogamers reviews ( one of my favourite sites) and I haven't even read that. I really am trying to avoid everything as I think that's one of the reasons that killed TP for me.

I love reading Eurogamers reviews ( one of my favourite sites) and I haven't even read that. I really am trying to avoid everything as I think that's one of the reasons that killed TP for me.

Me too, on both counts. I felt like I already knew the first half of TP I had spoiled it so much. This time I have determined not to spoil, but I could not resist reading 10/10 reviews from those two places.

Think the gonintendo one said it was a spoiler free review. Not read it myself yet, but I know it got 10/10

Think the gonintendo one said it was a spoiler free review. Not read it myself yet, but I know it got 10/10

I would not classify it as spoiler free exactly. (Yes I caved on reading this one as well.) It mentions some locations and items, but does not have stand out a mile spoilers in it. Based on my reading of this thread however I would recommend against reading it as it contains more spoiler details than the EDGE review for example.

It is long though, and quite a good read - he is basically justifying why he thinks it is his favourite Zelda game. He is quite aware that people will think him a fan boy and as such spends a small amount of the review defending himself from expected attacks and justifying his comments.

OMG... I received an email today marking this as dispatched... which means... I'll get it on Wednesday. Holy shit, it makes me happy!

Just beat the second temple boss - my word, one of the best Zelda boss battles I've ever had. :D

Really nice cover artwork, and the symphony CD is really nicely presented with a beautiful leaflet. After all those years of getting neglected by NoE, Switzerland has been redeemed (even if it was just the retailers releasing games earlier than they were supposed to ;) )

how many tracks are on the cd ?

Hmmmmm, all this talk of beef...

Gr%C3%A1covitzRiendo.gif

"Beef? I am lacking in beef. Fawful is beefless."

8, but there are a couple that are about 10 minutes long. In total it's 45 minutes of sheer beauty!

Hmmmmm, all this talk of beef...

Gr%C3%A1covitzRiendo.gif

"Beef? I am lacking in beef. Fawful is beefless."

Dude, your obsessed...but in a good way. :D

Rubbish. You're the one doing that, using words like "worse". I said "Not better than...?", exactly as the quote said. I've read the full GamesRadar review anyway and it's totally clear what they're saying.

Zavvi took the money for my order tonight , they usually dont take money untill they have the item in stock and when its nearing dispatch i might get the game early or at least on time :)

GameTrailers = 9.1

Basics of the review:

Story is basically just Zelda.

Gameplay and dungeons are a pretty big departure from normal.

Lots of items and upgrades.

Massive game (40 hours min), but needs more save points.

Dungeons start out "uninteresting"

No fishing.

Combat and items are much better than previous games.

Doesn't like bombs though.

Doesn't like dousing or stamina.

Some of the best dungeons in the series.

Looks good and bad

Most cinematic Zelda and beautiful music.

Complains about no voice acting.

Says "Zelda is showing grey hairs"?

• 01. The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Medley [08:08]
  • 02. Kakariko Village - Twilight Princess Theme [02:50]
  • 03. The Wind Waker Symphonic Movement [10:31]
  • 04. Gerudo Valley [03:36]
  • 05. Great Fairy's Fountain Theme [03:03]
  • 06. Twlight Princess Symphonic Movement [10:31]
  • 07. The Legend of Zelda Main Theme Medley [04:29]
  • 08. Ballad of the Goddess from Skyward Sword [02:05]