N-Europe

Circle Pads?

philcollins

since the wii U is getting circle pads instead of analogue sticks, ive been a tiny bit worried that they wont be as good as analogue sticks. ive never played a 3DS though so i totally dont know what they are like.

so for people who have 3DS's what are they like compared to analogue sticks and do i have anything to worry about?

Maybe it's because I'm more used to them, I'm not sure, but sticks feel easier and more comfortable to use than the 3DS slider.

That said, the slider on the Wii U pad isn't the same as on the 3DS - I hear it isn't as stiff and has a greater range of motion giving it a different feel from the hands on reports I've read.

I'm certainly convinced it won't be as good as a proper Nintendo analog stick but they'll likely feel better than the one on the 3DS (which works well enough on the handheld but I wouldn't really want to be using it on a proper controller..) I guess Nintendo have their reasons for not wanting a couple of sticks sitting out of the controller so they probably know best :heh:

I'm sure that the buttons will all feel pretty decent and a lot better than those found on the 3DS. I actually think 3D Classics Excitebike feels awful with the 3DS buttons :hmm:

I'm sure the device will be comfortable as Nintendo never let me down there but I hope they improve the look of it.. though I'm sure they will :hehe: I also want it to be black..

Well, the console won't release for another year, I think they are going to change some things on the design. Lets hope they realize that a proper analogue stick is better.

Also, yes, the GC analogue sticks are better than the ones on 360. They're too tight, my thumb hurts after a while.

I LOVE SLIDE PADS!

The thing is, slide pads let your thumbs fall into it, where as analogue sticks are mushroom-ish which makes your thumbs slide off when they're sweaty.

That's my experience anyway....

Then again, that is actually true. A cross-over would perhaps be better?

The Slide Pad on the 3DS definitely isn't as good as an analogue stick. I find it far too loose, with no resistance. OK, it's great for Pilotwings, but I wouldn't like to use it with as intense a game as Street Fighter. I just hope Wii U's are more robust.

I LOVE SLIDE PADS!

The thing is, slide pads let your thumbs fall into it, where as analogue sticks are mushroom-ish which makes your thumbs slide off when they're sweaty.

Not really the issue here. The N64/cube/nunchuck had rounded tops, but the Xbox 360 has the "dip" of a slide pad, but the full neck of any other analogue stick. You can easily have the indented shape you like, without having to have the flat style of the 3DS.

xbox_360_new_controller.jpg

I really don't understand the need to get rid of analogue sticks, obviously with the 3DS it makes sense (so the system can be closed) but on the Wii U it just seems a bit backwards.

Probably because it would look stupid my belt buddy. Stick a analogue stick on the Kindle and you've got the same effect.

It's not really a controller and it's not really meant to be a new console [sO WHAT EEES EEET?!] but having a vertical analogue stick is a breakage waiting to happen on something which is appearing to be thrown around a bit.

That said on circle pads I hope they make them more sensitive in proportion to pressure placed upon it. I've only got Rayman on the 3DS at the moment but it seems you have to barely touch it to walk, anything beyond that is flat out running. Not preferable in those slow walking situations.

but having a vertical analogue stick is a breakage waiting to happen on something which is appearing to be thrown around a bit.
I initially thought maybe it was for this reason, but then realised that it's the same with every controller... all controllers can be damaged in this way, but they aren't, they're robust enough.

I've never really dropped a controller, it may have fallen off my lap/sofa, but it's hardly a regular occurance. And there's no reason why it would be any different with the U-mote... and being Nintendo it might even come with a strap anyway.

I don't really get the decision.

Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

I initially thought maybe it was for this reason, but then realised that it's the same with every controller... all controllers can be damaged in this way, but they aren't, they're robust enough.

But this isn't exactly a normal controller. You can do shit on it which doesn't need a console (I assume) imagine playing Othello (Or Reversi for the uncool people) on a train having packed the Wii U. Imagine how much of a pisstake it would be packing just so as to not damage this prominant analogue stick.

I believe the Wii U is much more fragile than a normal controller.

This is the opinion of EEVIL and as such is law so new information could surface to null and void this assumption. Shabba.

But this isn't exactly a normal controller. You can do shit on it which doesn't need a console (I assume) imagine playing Othello (Or Reversi for the uncool people) on a train having packed the Wii U. Imagine how much of a pisstake it would be packing just so as to not damage this prominant analogue stick.

You would need to plug the console in...

^ Exactly.

The controller can't leave the range of the console.

The thing most likely to get damaged on the new controller is the screen, and other than indenting it, they haven't exactly done anything to protect against that.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm curious if someone will develop a WiiU controller that uses the same buttons and sticks as the Upad but without the screen.

A device for those that may want to play a more "traditional" style. I'm not talking about using the classic controller but something that would be unique to the WiiU - using the same buttons and sticks but without the screen.

I'm personally excited with the possibilities the Upad has for gameplay but there are gamers I've talked to that are concerned they won't have the option of not using the pad during gameplay. Others are turned off by the size of the Upad but are attracted to the system. For those I'm hoping that a third party might develop such a controller.

I'm still expecting a new, wireless Classic Controller Pro.

That would be nice. Would you think it would conform to the Upads controls or more to the original classic controller? And what aspect of it would make it Pro in your opinion?

That would be nice. Would you think it would conform to the Upads controls or more to the original classic controller? And what aspect of it would make it Pro in your opinion?

The "Classic Controller Pro" is this:

1.jpg

Although I would expect the same buttons (and a closer design) to the UPad.

Hmm, I have to admit I have barely any experience with slidepads, I think I’ve used them on a PSP some time. But I’m pretty sure I’d prefer normal analogue sticks. The fact the PS Vita is moving away from them says a lot.

I LOVE SLIDE PADS!

That's my experience anyway....

You have a point, but for me personally.. I find this only a minor inconvenience I can live with.

Probably because it would look stupid my belt buddy. Stick a analogue stick on the Kindle and you’ve got the same effect.
They are 2 unrelated devices with very different functions. The Kindle is not a gamecontroller. I find the WiiU controller already borderline ugly (well, perhaps that’s a bit exaggerating, but not much), some sticks won't matter. Especially since we’re already used to seeing sticks on controllers. I love great design, and I’m not too proud to admit I often choose form over function, but this is a case where I’ll do the opposite.
It's not really a controller and it's not really meant to be a new console [sO WHAT EEES EEET?!] but having a vertical analogue stick is a breakage waiting to happen on something which is appearing to be thrown around a bit.

[..]

It is a controller, at least, that’ll be it’s main function. It’ll probably have verious other uses as well, thought up by casual game developpers. But it’s main function is to control your games (or other WiiU applications) on your screen.

And I’ve never broken an analogue stick, but then I have amazing self‐control ;).

I'm still expecting a new, wireless Classic Controller Pro.

I’m not necessarily expecting one, but I do want one. Control‐wise, it may be my favourite traditional controller ever, but it loses points for the useless remote inconveniently attached to it, and changing batteries is a serious hassle.

In fact, I’d love to have a wired classic controller pro. No batteries, no remote attached. All the fun.