Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Apple Thread

Nintendohnut

So, Lion's out now and I've upgraded but I seem to get a strange error in it.

If I open iCal from the Dock, closes it (cmnd+w) and then choose Safari from the Dock, iCal closes totally (like cmnd+q). Anyone else get this?

Its not a glitch. Apple seems to think that hiding which processes are running is a feature. I think people have found a way to fix this though, I just can't remember what it was off the top of my head.

I'm downloading Lion now, although what I'm hearing about it initially isn't great, I'll still try it out I suppose.

I'm considering buying an 11" MacBook air for uni, but I'm still not entirely convinced the portability features are worth the low price/performance ratio in my situation.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using a new MacBook Air now as we're reviewing it at work. Backlit keyboard is good, and this thing is quick (boots in about 17 seconds from the power button press). With the new graphics and Thunderbolt Port I'm not sure why you wouldn't need it. Even the 11" makes sense now with full screen apps.

Had a presentation from Apple today at their HQ in London, and I have to say I'm convinced on Lion too. The new features look pretty awesome and made even more sense in the way they explained it (things like Autosave and Versions). Still trying it out, so will report back later.

In terms of Word/Office - 2011 and 2008 will work, but 2004 uses Rosetta (I believe) which isn't supported by Lion.

The spotlight indexing in Lion seems to be causing my CPU's fail-safe to cut in, even with my fans maxed out. Leave it to Apple to forget to put vents in a laptop case.

But vents are ugly and have no part in Apple's design philosophy.

But vents are ugly and have no part in Apple's design philosophy.

You are joking right?

The PowerBook G4s used the exact same design, aside from the fact that they had vents, and they looked fine. When your graphics card starts frying and your CPU keeps getting shut down by its own fail-safe, your priorities change a little bit. Not to mention a good designer should be able to incorporate necessary features into their design.

Yes, I was joking. And referencing how Apple sometimes make its initial look too important and forget things like how easy it can be to look scratched or - in one case - the actual performance of the device.

It was fairly obvious Cube was joking.

Pinch to zoom has disappeared in Finder. I'm actually really pissed off about that, especially since it doesn't seem to conflict with any other gesture. There better be a fix soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So, what are everyone's impressions of Lion so far? I've been using it for a while now every day, and I have to say I'm enjoying full screen apps a lot more than I thought I would. System resume is also excellent, although I'm having trouble getting used to versions.

Everyone should try BetterTouchTool no matter what they are running (Snow Leopard, Lion, whatever) as it is ace. It should also solve your pinch to zoom problem, Ronnie, because it's that awesome.

I can't say I'm that impressed. Spotlight seems to want to index every single time I do something CPU intensive, which tends to cause my computer to overheat. Time machine also seems to take up a lot more resources.

None of the new features seem to be worth the loss of some of the old ones. Particularly the end of executing PPC code is annoying at times.

Its not enough to downgrade, but the OS needs work.

Gone back to Snow Leopard. It's sad how many articles are online about how to turn off all the new things in Lion to get it running as before. Lion is awful IMO, at least for my workflow, and the features are either pointless or a hindrance.

Nintendohnut, BetterTouchTool sadly can't fix the lack of pinch to zoom in Finder, tried. Lots of people on twitter seem pissed that feature is gone from Lion.

I'm quite fond of Lion. I quite like full screen apps and I haven't spotted anything that's majorly annoyed me so far. My mousepad on the macbook seems to struggle with the gestures though, I think it might just be too old =\

Haven't updated to Lion yet, think i'll leave it for a while.

Bought Final Cut Pro X though, and was kind of freaked out when the Mac store didn't even come up with a Yes or No box, the software just started downloading immediately after I clicked 'Buy Now'.

Feels like an awful lot of money to spend on a piece of software, but I'm sick of trying to get around licensing on trial version of other editing software and I am in dire need of reliable, professional level editing software so I am glad I bought it.

I've found some weird choices in Lion so far that seem like a step down. For instance, when closing an application like Excel with a document open, it saves that document so that next time you open Excel it also opens that particular document even though you opened another. Then they both just open and that is rather annoying. Furthermore, my older MacBook Pro's touchpad is not nearly big enough for the gestures. Also, my computer seems a bit slower and gets warmer - that might just be the weather, though.

As I mentioned before, iCal closes when you close the window and move over to e.g. Safari. That is weird.

I do like the bouncing websites, though. That is fun. Overall, I was more pleased with Snow Leopard but not angry enough with Lion that I want to go back. I guess it'll be better with some software updates.

Haven't updated to Lion yet, think i'll leave it for a while.

Bought Final Cut Pro X though, and was kind of freaked out when the Mac store didn't even come up with a Yes or No box, the software just started downloading immediately after I clicked 'Buy Now'.

Feels like an awful lot of money to spend on a piece of software, but I'm sick of trying to get around licensing on trial version of other editing software and I am in dire need of reliable, professional level editing software so I am glad I bought it.

The video editing community are up in arms about Final Cut Pro X, calling it iMove HD, and as dumbed down and stripped of any useful features as Quicktime X is.

Looking at getting a new Macbook, nothing wrong with my current one but I like to upgrade fairly regularly. Would anyone be interested in buying my current one? It's the white one that has just been discontinued, I bought it last April. It's never actually been moved off my desk and is in cracking nick if I do say so myself. I was looking for maybe £200 if anyone was interested. I can provide more deets if needed.

I could put it on ebay, but I can't be bothered :heh:

Also, my computer seems a bit slower and gets warmer - that might just be the weather, though.

Its not just the weather. Lion seems to do spotlight indexing way more frequently than any other version of OS X, which kills your speed, and, in my case at least, brings the temperature up to dangerously high levels (95 C was the highest I've seen before the fail safe kicked in).

I also seem to be having more kernel panics than I have with any other OS.

Looking at getting a new Macbook, nothing wrong with my current one but I like to upgrade fairly regularly. Would

anyone be interested in buying my current one? It's the white one that has just been discontinued, I bought it last April. It's never actually been moved off my desk and is in cracking nick if I do say so myself. I was looking for maybe £200 if anyone was interested. I can provide more deets if needed.

Colour me interested.

Looking at getting a new Macbook, nothing wrong with my current one but I like to upgrade fairly regularly. Would anyone be interested in buying my current one? It's the white one that has just been discontinued, I bought it last April. It's never actually been moved off my desk and is in cracking nick if I do say so myself. I was looking for maybe £200 if anyone was interested. I can provide more deets if needed.

PM more details and pics please?

And are Apple seriously billing "Full Screen Apps" as a fantastic, new feature? This is something that they should've had in their OS 15 years ago!

That's the Apple way :p

(not flaming, just friendly ribbing as I too am on a mac)

I really like Lion, full screen apps are great, all the gesture controls are brilliant. I love launchpad and the widgets, the new mail and quick input on ical. Versions are an abomination though, as is the auto feature of starting your computer with how you close it down, do i really have to unlock that box EVERY. SINGLE. TIME?!?! What the hell are bouncing websites?

killthenet - it's very tenuous to call final cut x professional software. It is very good for basic editing, but fucking atrocious for professional work. I run a video production company and it's simply shocking. Apples way around is that 3rd parties are doing (stupid) expensive add ons to make it more pro. Apple have severely fucked up, they're going for the mainstream whilst fucking over their loyal customers. Adobe Premiere has taken over to be honest. Annoyingly as Final Cut is SO good and was becoming industry standard.

mindfeak - that is annoying about the software, if you close that page (press the ex) then it doesn't happen. Plus if you APPLE, ALT and Q any software it closes it fully - works with safari too. So that's a (clumsy) way around. Also sounds like your ical thing is a big as it doesn't happen on any of our computers

What the hell are bouncing websites?

For instance, if you scroll all the way down on a website and then try to scroll again there is some sort of "rubber band" holding the website. You see a grey bar and it seems that the website is bouncing. (In Safari at least.)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!