N-Europe

Accents

Beast

Inspired by AndyWylde's introduction thread, I was sitting there seeing a bit of dislike towards the Birmingham (...gits...) and Liverpool accent and so I decided to make this thread. They're quite a weird thing to me as you can simply tell where someone has come from simply by their accent, giving them away if you didn't want to tell anybody, haha. So what accents do you like and hate? Would you swap your accent and if you could, what would you swap it for? Is there any accent you can't understand?...

I may get hate for this but I can't understand the Scottish accent very well at all, not if it's too thick. I have trouble trying to understand what they say on TV shows sometimes but I can understand some of them.

What about you guys?

Discuss! :awesome:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this thread is the perfect opportunity to post a few Chewin' The Fat clips.

It's a common problem that people, generally English it has to be said, don't understand various Scottish accents. A lot of Scottish people do have heavy accents but to be perfectly honest I think that if you did try you'd be able to understand them properly. Scottish humour, like the clip above, quite often plays on the Scottish accent but Still Game is one of the best sitcoms in recent years and Chewin' The Fat is probably the best clip show ever.

I can't understand the Scottish accent either. Kenny Dalglish is an enigma to me.

I love Irish accents on women. Instant boner time

I love Irish accent on women as well! I find it quite sexy, haha.

I think this thread is the perfect opportunity to post a few Chewin' The Fat clips.

It's a common problem that people, generally English it has to be said, don't understand various Scottish accents. A lot of Scottish people do have heavy accents but to be perfectly honest I think that if you did try you'd be able to understand them properly. Scottish humour, like the clip above, quite often plays on the Scottish accent but Still Game is one of the best sitcoms in recent years and Chewin' The Fat is probably the best clip show ever.

I try to understand them and I understood that clip fully with one playthrough and I did laugh, but with some people, the accent is seriously thick. With people like Frankie Boyle, it can sometimes take me about a few seconds to try and understand what he says, which is fine but the worst case, for me, is Kevin Bridges. I was watching Alan Carr: Chatty Man on YouTube and I had to play what he said twice half of the time because I didn't have the foggiest what he said, lol.

Maybe its because part of my family is Scottish but I don't generally have trouble understand them.

I don't like the Black Country accent because its quite a harsh sound and I have trouble understanding it, which was troublesome when I worked there for a while. However, I will defend it against anyone who says it just sounds stupid (which is, in itself a stupid claim).

I don't really know what accent I have. Coming from South East London, I guess it's slightly geezer sounding but not quite cockney. Perhaps a bit common like? :)

I spend a lot of time in Northern Ireland and I love certain accents over there. Although sometimes I have trouble understanding the lovely people. I don't really dislike any accents to be honest. Half my family are from Manchester and I do have a soft spot for that accent. "Hiya" and all that.

Coming from the North of Scotland, my accent isn't nearly as profound as some southern parts. I barely think I have an accent at all but that would be for others to decide. I can understand why people struggle to understand someone with a proper Glaswegian accent but it' definitely no worse than someone with a thick Georgie twang. Me personally, I hate the Scouse accent, I used to seriously cringe whenever Brookside was on. I'm also not a big fan of the Bristol accent, although more because I just find it amusing.

I have a pretty generic northern accent- comes with the territory for me as everyone in my hood has it too. And by hood, I mean middle class public sector enclave. To be honest, I'm thankful I don't have a stronger Sheffield accent because it can be horrible- it's like a much, much harsher and sharper Barnsley accent without the warmth. Done right = Jarvis Cocker. Done wrong = pikey fuckholes in the job centre.

Agreed with the above on hawt Irish accents too, fyi. Scottish does it for me too.

karen_gillan_01_1024.jpg

I have a generic "British person/English" accent, despite being Scottish.

I can understand Scottish in 99% of situations, but sometimes when it's a thick accent + old gruff man + anger = incomprehensible.

People in London are very disappointed both people on our course from Scotland have english accents. :D

RP (with an occasional glottal stop), because I'm worth it.

And better than all of you.

Fun fact: even traditional RP uses glottal stops, as in the emphatic "I ?always go to Paris!" where ? is a glottal stop. But yes, most modern RP speakers both reinforce some voiceless stops with glottal stops (as in "bi?t") and occasionally completely substitute them ("bi?"). I speak this kind of RP too, but would rather speak a dialect that hasn't been so extensively studied.

Even though I've been brought up speaking rigsdansk (Danish without an accent), my intonation is still influenced by the fact I live in Jutland. When I speak fast my dialect also tends to become more Jutlandic.

Regarding English, I've been told numerous times I have a British accent, though there are probably lots of American elements in it since I pick up my English from both British and American sources.

I think we need audio demonstrations of said accents.

I'm on it. I say, for comparison, everyone reads a standard text.

Wikipedia's opening on the article accents:

In linguistics, an accent is a manner of pronunciation peculiar to a particular individual, location, or nation. An accent may identify the locality in which its speakers reside (a geographical or regional accent), the socio-economic status of its speakers, their ethnicity, their caste or social class, their first language (when the language in which the accent is heard is not their native language), and so on.

Accents typically differ in quality of voice, pronunciation of vowels and consonants, stress, and prosody; although grammar, semantics, vocabulary, and other language characteristics often vary concurrently with accent, the word 'accent' refers specifically to the differences in pronunciation and the word 'dialect' encompasses the broader set of linguistic differences; often 'accent' is a subset of 'dialect'.

Edited by The fish

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!