Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I hate phone sales people

Ryuk

So latly i've been reciaving calls from phone company's asking if I want a new mobile or somthing... Strange thing is, its always the same guy just a different company name. Normally somthing like this.

Phone person: Mr (insert last name here) Home?

Me: Speaking

Phone person: How are you today?

Me: fine (with a puzzled look on myface)

Phone person: I am ringing you today to ask if you'd be interested in having a upgrade or a new contract on your phone today (keep in mind this company i never heard of and is a different name everytime although its the same person on the other end.)

Me: No thank you I am fine with what I have.

Phone person: Ok Thank you...

This person kept ringing me for about two months god knows how they got my number since i'm ex directory.

Last time They rang me

Phone Person: Is Mr (insert last name here) there?

Me: Speaking

Phone Person: Would you be.......

Me: Let me guess, Your going to offer me a new phone?

Phone Person: no sir....

Me: A upgrade?

Phone person: Yes sir?

me: Please stop ringing my number I do not want a upgrade or a new phone or anything else you have to offer...

We Argued over the phone for a good 20 minutes him trying to sell somthing to me saying how good it would be bla bla bla, in the end I hung up. Thing that has annoyied me a great deal is you'd think that this person would get the message after the 10th time, I actully had to threaten him the other day for sueing the company for harssement.. Which has seem to have done the trick as I havn't had a phone call yet.

I feel sorry for people in those jobs. They know they're pissing people off, yet it's the company's policy to repeatedly call potential customers. I was subscribed to a science magazine for a short while, but the content was not worth the price in the long run, so I cancelled my subscription. I have lost count of how often they've called me and tried to scam me into subscribing again with presents and claims that "you'll only get two issues" when in actuality it's a new subscription I receive.

Dont get me wrong i respect people that have these kind of jobs for this reason however it does piss me off when I get the same dude phoning me 20+ times in two months! you'd think they'd get the picture, I even asked to be removed from there system a couple of times.

Sounds like a scammer in a call centre if they mention a company you've never heard of. I keep getting calls from some call centre telling me that there's an urgent problem with Windows and I need to give them details so they can fix my computer (with magic?).

...who says I'm using Windows? ;)

My mum got one of them once whilst I was at my parents house. I told her to give me the phone, and told them I worked for Microsoft UK. Needless to say, they hung up pretty sharpish.

They're just doing their job. I'm sure we've all annoyed people doing our jobs now and again. I hope you never have to work in a call centre to support yourself or your family Ryuk.

The thread title is just a little misleading. As I said, those people are just doing their job, trying to get by. The core problem is the companies' policy about calling with the same offer again and again when you've declined it repeatedly.

Apart from putting yourself on the Telephone Preference service, which should stop most callers, I've whacked my flat phone on it after receiving at least 2 cold callers a day, one might be a human and the other a robot/electronic.

It drove me mad because we'd get calls at 9pm! Something we didn't need given the phone is loud, since then (and it can take a while to go through) we've had I think one call in a week. Much better.

I can understand people doing their jobs, but its ridiculous, if I wanted a service I would go and find it, I do not need people ringing me at all hours of the day to try and sell me something and lord knows I wouldn't give my details over the phone anyway, not to anyone.

I used to get scam jobs. I just make a funny situation out of it though. I used to get the 'lucky lottery' mostly for me though. Ah fun times...

Lottery

*phone rings, I answer*

Me: Hello

Them: You lucky person, you've won the lucky lottery!

Me: I have? OH MY GOD, I'M SO-Bitch please, you really I think I'm gonna fall for that shit?

*put the phone down*

Lottery (another time)

*phone rings, I answer*

Me: Hello

Them: You lucky person, you've won the lucky lottery!

Me: Wow, that's fifteen times in a row you've called me! How lucky am I to win it fifteen times!

Them: Er...yes? We just need your name, address and bank details

Me: Wow, I've won the lucky lottery and you don't even know my name?

Them: Er...

Me: I don't want it, thanks

Them: But this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, you win one million pounds!

Me: That's great, give it to someone else then. Bye!

*puts the phone down*

I basically did things like that if it's totally obvious they're con artists.

I had a recent one claiming i was in debt. This is exactly how it happened, i am not joking.

Call Centre Person: Can i speak to a Mr errrr James Richards please

Me: Yes, speaking.

Call Centre Person: Good Afternoon, i'm calling from Debt Solvers UK on behalf of Vodafone UK. We have your account details on-screen and from the records we have, you havn't been paying your bill for the last 5 months.

Me: Really. I can assure you i have been paying, because money has been leaving my account every month.

Call Centre Person: Unfortunetly, no money has been recieved from yourself. That is why Vodafone have given us your details so we can get the money from you.

Me: Really, how much do i owe then. Because i know i don't owe anything.

Call Centre Person: £560 + VAT.

Me: F*** off. I owe nothing.

Call Centre Person: You owe this money, so we will now take procedures to retrieve the money. Can you confirm your account number please?

Me: Ok..........

Call Centre Person: .............. So, are you going to confirm your account number?

Me: I will, once you've read it out.

Call Centre Person: No, thats not how it is done. You tell us the number, and we confirm it is correct on-screen.

Me: No, you tell me the f'n number. And i'll tell you if it is correct.

Call Centre Person: Don't swear down the phone, the call is being recorded and we may be forced to take legal action if you don't clear the debt.

Me: Well, send the f'n police, bailiffs and take me to f'n court. I'll bring all the evidence saying i payed up, and i'll laugh in your face.

Call Centre Person: Ok fine. Can you confirm your address please so we can send a letter.

Me: F*** off. Don't call again, or i'll get the police on your a***

Just to clarify on my earlier point, it does still annoy me but I've never really been plagued by them. They usually show up as blocked on my mobile and I ignore them. My folks react in much the same way as you guys when they call u- I just remembered most of you don't live at home and therefore will likely answer the phone and receive these calls way more than me.

Still, I think I'd always be polite to them regardless. Seems cruel to be an asshole. Not that I don't find some of the stuff you guys did hilarious, especially the LOLgasm at them. Fine work.

Edited by Guy

I'll be polite up until the point of saying "I'm not interested thanks." If they continue to talk then I just hang up.

My mum will keep talking and you can just hear her going, "Yet I'm no interested thanks- no I'm not intere- no I'm not- I'm gonna hang up now- I'm hanging up- bye-" Me: "JUST PUT THE FUCKING PHONE DOWN!!!"