N-Europe

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Aneres11

Fuck you mu-fucking members. Making me use up all my damn thanks in this thread.

Better pic,

ss_preview_23143777900.png

You've accidentally posted a picture of a PSP1 by accident....

I'd rather buy a PS3 tbh!... which I think I will soon.

Good, they're awesome. (So hopefully no one will call me a fanboy. I mean I am one...a Nintendo one. But if you call me a fanboy, you're just letting me win)

WE HAVE TO HELP THEM.

Looks like we're gonna need something with a little more kick...than that.

So, post-announcement we've discovered that everyone who was optimistic before is still optimistic, whilst everyone who was down on the idea is still down on the idea. Great.

Consistency is good though.

I love Kojima's ambitions for bringing a PS3 game with you on the go with NGP... I just worry that Sony are missing the point of a good portable experience. Metal Gear Solid 4 on the go is damn impressive, but surely you're not getting the same immersion, the cinematic experience they originally aimed for if you keep being distracted by the outside world? And if you play it at home to avoid this... well, you might as play it on your PS3, right?

I completely agree. Its why I'm not crazy about the PSP (bar Disgaea). Its just too serious. Portables should be more fun and portable. All of these games are concentration-cinematic-amazing-fests, and the MASSIVE jump in picture quality and screen size (wtf....I'm sorry but did it really need to be bigger) prove that.

Having looked a little more I'm warming to the console a little more, but just because of all the control features (touch screen, touch pad, dual analogues) but it just seems to take the fun away. SRS INTRNT BSNSS.

It's a shame after all these years we can't have a debate about two different gaming devices without resorting to fanboyism.

This is all just a defence mechan-ism.

It's a fair point though, isn't it? Serebii's knocking the NGP for having "all [the] same old stuff" whilst so far for the 3DS we've seen: two repackaged N64 games, another Nintendogs, a port of SF4, a new iteration of DoA, another Ridge Racer, etc, etc.

I think you need to check out the 3DS thread....there is a lot of moaning about the shitty launch line up.

Almost chundered when I saw that back touchpad being used to climb the vine in the Unch vid. And you just knew they'd claim it would be immersive, and the actions were similar to that of climbing in real life.

No.

Just no.

You don't haul your body weight up a wall by rubbing your fingers against it. Plus it's awkward to control.

Exactly. MOTION CONTROLS (for the most part...NOT ALL, but most) are fucking GHEEE33YYYY. They aren't immersive, they're shit, and when they are TACKED onto games (DKCR) they help to piss in the communal foot spa.

This thread is loltastic...

Lolztazticzx to the max, IMHO.

Anyway yeah. I'd honestly consider getting one POSSIBLY, but its going to cost the Earth.

I was always sad that the GBA just got dumped for the DS. The Micro was a thing of wonder.

Yeah its sad. Remember how Nintendo said the DS was the third pillar, joining home consoles and the Gameboy.

Then it was like

"Oh the DS is really popular. Yeah we were totally kidding about that pillar stuff."

Mother fuckers.

SCEA's Jack Tretton Interview

Ross: Is that something planned from when the Suite launches? That it would be on the PS3?

Yeah, I think the hope is... and I shouldn't say yes we will. I mean, it's gonna vary. I think the intention is and the public statement today is, NGP PlayStation Suite available... on whatever Android phones we select and all NGP. So PlayStation Suite will work on NGP, some Android phones, and [with] PlayStation 3 I might've misspoken.

[The PR rep notes that she wouldn't see why not but will find out for us.]

Paul: Are there features in the PlayStation Suite that do take advantage of the touchscreen? Obviously there's a touchscreen on most Android devices.

Potentially yes, but like I said, I can't tell you it's gonna be this standard. It's gonna have this functionality.

Ross: It does have a very impressive and powerful processor. Do you know any goals for battery life?

Nothing we can talk about today, but I think we listen to all the feedback on our devices, positive and negative. We know that battery life was a concern on PSP, and we certainly look to improve upon that, but no details yet.

Ross: Battery life is something Nintendo's taking a beating for with its 3DS -- among other reasons. Price being one of them. What do you think of the 3DS' $250 price tag?

You know, I'm not an expert on the 3DS. I've seen the screen. I haven't played it. I think that if you could create content that consumers sees compelling, they'll find money that they didn't think they had. I think the more recent example of that was Kinect. I didn't think people would go out and spend $150 for that device and they did -- and that's a peripheral at the end of the day. So I think if the quality's there, then the people will find a way to buy it, within reason.

Yeah its sad. Remember how Nintendo said the DS was the third pillar, joining home consoles and the Gameboy.

Then it was like

"Oh the DS is really popular. Yeah we were totally kidding about that pillar stuff."

Mother fuckers.

You can blame Hiroshi Yamauchi for the DS.

A list of confirmed developers.

Here is a list courtesy of Game Informer of developers and publishers working on projects for Sony’s NGP (Next Generation Portable). The list is broken down by region and well known companies such as Rockstar Games and Activision are only a couple of the 82 companies working on games for it.

Japan

Acquire Corp.

Alvion Inc.

AQ Interactive Inc.

Arc System Works Co. Ltd.

Arika Co. Ltd.

Artdink Corporation

Ascii Media Works Inc.

Capcom Co. Ltd.

Chun Soft Co. Letd.

Codemasters Software Company Limited

Crafts & Meister Co. Ltd.

CyberConnect2 Co. Ltd

D3 Publisher Inc.

Dimps Corporation

Edia Co. Ltd.

Enterbrain Inc.

From Software Inc.

Gameloft K.K.

Genki Co. Ltd.

Grasshopper Manufacture Inc.

GungHo Online Entertainment Inc.

Gust Co. Ltd.

Hamster Corporation

Hudson Soft Co. Ltd.

Idea Factory Co. Ltd.

Index Corporation (Atlus)

Irem Software Engineering Inc.

Kadokawa Games Ltd.

Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co. Ltd.

Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Ltd.

Level-5 Inc.

Marvelous Entertainment Inc.

Media5 Corporation

Namco Bandai Games Inc.

Nihon Falcom Corporation

Nippon Ichi Software Inc.

Nowproduction Co. Ltd.

Q Entertainment Inc.

Sega Corporation

SNK Playmore Corporation

Spike Co. Ltd.

Square Enix Co. Ltd.

SystemSoft Alpha Corp.

Tecmo Koei Games Co. Ltd.

TOMY Company Ltd.

TOSE Co. Ltd.

Ubisoft K.K.

Yuke’s Co. Ltd.

North America

Activision Inc.

Capybara Games

Demiurge Studios

Epic Games Inc.

Far Sight Studios

Frima

High Voltage Software

Kung Fu Factory

Paramount Digital Entertainment

PopCap Games

Powerhead Games

Trendy Entertainment

Ubisoft

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

2K Games

2K Sports

Europe/PAL

Avalanche Studios

Climax Studios Ltd.

Codemasters Software Company Ltd.

Eurocom Developments Ltd.

Eutechnyx Ltd.

Exient Ltd.

Firemint PTY Ltd.

Gameloft SA

Gusto Games Ltd.

Home Entertainment Suppliers PTY Ltd.

Impromptu Software Ltd.

Rebellion

Rockstar Games

Sidhe Interactive

Sumo Digital Ltd.

Team 17 Software Ltd.

Ubisoft Entertainment SA

Zen Studios Ltd.

Then it was like

Good points, chaps. My only problem with the 3DS is that is a DS (don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for it)! It stands to reason you can have a better screen if you only have one.

And yes, the Micro was lovely.

3 things:

- I am super interested to hear the price. I hope for low, I suspect astoundingly high. Whoever predicted $999.99 (Kotaku? Don't remember) I just hope were wrong. I laughed when I read that, then though, "Wait... shit... what if that's even close to being right?"

- I miss my GameBoy Colour so much. Easier times, they were.

- I also hate that Nintendo completely destroyed the GameBoy brand. I assumed it would be 3 areas - GC (then Wii), DS (DSi etc) and GameBoy Epic (or whatever), with the GameBoy being the graphics monster that would directly combat the PSP and the DS as the touch-screen experiment. Wouldn't have been a sound business plan but would have been awesome for us consumers. What dicks, eh, thinking about money all the time. God.

3 things:

- I am super interested to hear the price. I hope for low, I suspect astoundingly high. Whoever predicted $999.99 (Kotaku? Don't remember) I just hope were wrong. I laughed when I read that, then though, "Wait... shit... what if that's even close to being right?"

That's just one of the big US retailers being very, very safe with the price. Really, they should wait until the thing has a name before making it available for pre-order.

- I also hate that Nintendo completely destroyed the GameBoy brand. I assumed it would be 3 areas - GC (then Wii), DS (DSi etc) and GameBoy Epic (or whatever), with the GameBoy being the graphics monster that would directly combat the PSP and the DS as the touch-screen experiment. Wouldn't have been a sound business plan but would have been awesome for us consumers. What dicks, eh, thinking about money all the time. God.

Actually I thought they'd push through with the Micro for the Gameboy. Make it smaller and cheaper, as in really cheap. Even make it a completely open format. I think it would have been absolutely brilliant. I'd kill for a Gameboy that small and solid again.

The basic MacBook on Apples US store is $999 and on the UK store it's £867.

My point is that whichever Gamestop employe honestly thought that the PSP2 would cost nearly a grand should be shot at dawn.

My guess is maximum £450, it's more likely gonna be about £300.

Sony made the huge mistake of pricing the PS3, I don't think they will make the same a few year later.

The Gameboy back in the day was great. Although, I was never that fond of the Advance. Bar the Metroid games, I found the console quite boring, to be honest. At least, nowhere near as interesting as the DS has been.

The PSP2 technically is very good. However, judging from the games we've half-seen so far, I think I'll have more joy with the DS. It just seems to be that idea of replicating a home console experience on a handheld which doesn't suit my image of what I want from a handheld. To me, like ReZ has mentioned, the games need to be suitable for portability. For example, Electroplankton is a brillliaaaant DS game. You can pick it up to play for a few mins at a time, or for hours if you choose. Its easy to get into it, very fun and you can play it on the go.

For me, thats what I look for in portable games. The simpleness but also that accessibility. Thats partly why I don't think 3D in a handheld is necessarily a great idea. We'll have to wait and see.

The basic MacBook on Apples US store is $999 and on the UK store it's £867.

My point is that whichever Gamestop employe honestly thought that the PSP2 would cost nearly a grand should be shot at dawn.

My guess is maximum £450, it's more likely gonna be about £300.

Sony made the huge mistake of pricing the PS3, I don't think they will make the same a few year later.

Well the PSP went on sale almost 6 years ago for £180. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the NGP was a lot cheaper than a lot of people suspect. (I'm going to guess £250.)

I'm really quite surprised at this announcement. It seems like a solid machine that brings a bit more to the table. Not really sure what i think on the looks though, i personally think the 3DS is more aesthetically pleasing.

To the whole 'the 3DS is doing nothing new, 3D is a gimmick', wasn't the touchscreen just a gimmick? Look how that turned out. 3D will either work, or it won't, it's a chance Nintendo are taking.

Also, i'm thinking of the 3DS as more of a Gameboy Advance type of system. The Gameboy went through different sizes, then added colour and then they released the more powerful GBA. The 3DS isn't really the DS' successor, it's just an upgrade, a 'DS Advance.' Nintendo will only make a completely new handheld when the DS' popularity declines enough to do so.

The PSP2 looks good though with the interesting back touch pad, the dual analogue sticks and PS3 graphics. Oh and it looks like they finally realised that putting the charger slot right underneath the buttons on the right-hand side is a bad idea, thank god. I won't be holding my breath for the price point though, it ain't gonna be cheap.

Either way, i'll probably be getting both, though i still think the 3DS has the potential to sell more (prove me wrong sony). I just hope the PSP2 has a better games library than it's predecessor.

The spec sheet just made me realise that the resolution on this is noticibly higher than the Wii. Oh dear.

I guess that was always going to be the case, but when you realise that a handheld is much more powerful and higher resolution than a current gen home system, you realise there's a pretty big issue there. I mean from the sounds of it the motion tech in this is even noticibly better than the regular Wii remote.

Just like the PSP was superior to the DS.

Look how that ended

You're not getting it.

The DS had a gameplay advantage, price advantage, software advantage.

This time around, it's a "fair fight", or at least it seems to be. And although I'm a die hard nintendo fan and will get the 3DS as soon as OoT or Kid Icarus come out and will probably only get the PSP2 in 3 or 4 years, this time it seems like the PSP is superior in everything. I'm not that excited about 3D. I'm sure it looks awesome and all, but realistically, I'll probably never use it.

The problem I see with the PSP2 (or NGP or whatever they'll call it at launch) is that it is essentially the same thing that afflicts the non Nintendo side of gaming at the moment (and even afflicts the Nintendo side, but not as such). It's just the same Malibu Stacey as before, just with a shiny new quadcore hat. It's just more powerful and almost all of the additions are ridiculously superficial.

Come on, be honest here, 3DS is the same as well. Do you expect 3D to actually change anything in gaming itself? Especially since half their player base (kids) won't even be able to enjoy it?

Personally I've no interest in stereoscopic 3D so on paper this is a better machine for me than the 3DS. Obviously the latter still has Nintendo so I'll likely pick one up at some point, but it strikes me that a lot of people are being unnecessarily hard on NGP simply because it isn't coming from Nintendo: complaints are being levelled at it which are just as applicable to the 3DS.

Yes, this... thank you. 100% agree.

Odd that you say that because my DS touch screen is fast and responsive, but my iPod and my friend's iPhones always seem to be slightly off where I touch and somewhat laggy

Come on, don't be silly, Sere. We're on the same team here, I'll be aboard the 3DS as soon as possible too, but let's not lie, it's beneath us.

I'll get the NGP when some decent games come for it. Uncharted never interested me and the rest are all same old stuff

Come on, now you're just being a fanboy. In both cases they're the same old stuff. Just because Pilot Wings and Kid Icarus appeal more to us it doesn't mean they're any less of a sequel. Truth is, neither has any promising new IPs... yet. (But yes, I agree with you, so far the 3DS wins, software-wise, but again, it comes down to one's opinion, really)

If that was the case around here, I'd have gotten mine a lot earlier. As it stands: 160GB PS3 naked: 300€, 320GB bundle: 350€.

You do know you can import it from over there, right? I mean, that's what I've been doin for years. Oo Isn't the EU cool with it's free trade rules?

Much like everyone in europe buys music instruments from your country.

I kinda want a PSP2 now more than a 3DS, just for the prospect of playing an awesome looking version of Wipeout on the go. Yes, I will pay any asking price for Wipeout.

Fuck Wipeout, I say bring on F-Zero 3DS!!

@Aimless, that was a stupid comment about the 3DS' games, because the PSP will get a Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, DoA and probably some updated ports/collections etc...

I think the point was exactly that: they're both the same, for now.

I'll be generally surprised if it's anything under €400.

Sony are retarded... it should never be over 300. But of course, it will be.

I really like the use of the touch screen here to climb about (I also like that it's an option so if you're on your period like dwarf you can stick with your buttons). Makes it a lot more accessible. I know it's probably been done before but in Uncharted fashion, it's never looked so smooth.

Oh, fuck off, will you? Pure gimmick, if I ever saw one. It's like when they included those touch screen specials in dawn of sorrow for the DS, just because the touch screen is there... Bah.

A Game Boy Pocket? I think you'll find the GBA SP, specifically the backlit AGS-101, is the ultimate Game Boy and I'll fight anyone that claims otherwise!

It's either that or the Micro. Depends on what you want it for, really.

_____

Truth be told, this whole thread is pretty much a fanboy fistfight... which is nonsense, really...

I'm a Nintendo fanboy, and I have no problem with admitting the PSP2 is looking like the superior product. That's all this is at this point, speculation.

But yeah, I much preffer the 3DS, but the PSP2 is looking like to be the superior machine. But as usual Sony's releasing it a bit too late...

Also, they should really come up with something like this for the psp/psp2:

Nintendo-Wii-Remote-Grip-1-Gallay.jpg

Also, why the fuck would anyone want/need touch control in Uncharted???

Also also, can anyone please explain to me the obsession Sony had with FPS/shooter games in general on the first PSP? They can't be played, it's horrible!

Also also, can anyone please explain to me the obsession Sony had with FPS/shooter games in general on the first PSP? They can't be played, it's horrible!

I think it is to get some gamers interested into handhelds because they think that aren't classed as the same as consoles. I wonder if major western third party developers will be more serious into making games this time unlike they did with the PSP and DS.