Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Pet Death

Ashley

I just had to have my hamster euphanised. I noticed yesterday her underside was wet and her tail looked longer and curled around. Took her to the vets this morning and they said she had wet tail. Offered antibiotics but said it doesn't always work etc (although online reports suggest it can be cleared away but I'll trust the vet as...well its too late for one thing). Plus she was 2 1/4 anyway so I knew she wasn't long for this world.

And now I feel terribly guilty. I just committed a creature to death, which is something I try and avoid. I know its for her best but still its not nice. First time I've ever had to decide it (as previous pets were when we were young).

332paxd.jpg

Obligatory picture.

So I thought I'd start this bleak topic so we can all have a big cry or something!

Its going to be so fucking weird not hearing her shuffling around and such in the night.

Man that's bizarrely surprising. I actually felt a twang of emotion for you, bro. It's certainly one reason why I don't know if I could bear having pets that I'd outlive. Replacement tortoise is in order.

My friend had to put one of her rats down a few years ago. I went with her, and on the way we took the rat out at a park and just let him run around for a bit. Was an odd day.

Having a pet euthanised is a horrible feeling, but in the end you know it's for the best. Still really hurts to have it done. We had to do it with our previous dog, about 7 years ago now. I was the only one who wanted to stay with her when it happened. It still haunts me to see her "fall asleep" like that.

I hope you're okay, so sorry about your hamster. Have a hug.

*hugs*

Hamsters... They seem so pointless when someone else has one, but when you have one yourself you feel the love. Hamster loss is a dangerously uncool. :(

Its going to be so fucking weird not hearing her shuffling around and such in the night.

I feel that. I always wondered how my hamster figured out how his wheel worked.

Yeah Ash, kudos on doing the right thing.

I was the one who noticed my family's first hamster wasn't right. turns out a blood vessel had burst in the lower half of her body and she was paralysed from half her body down. Was horrible. Most hamsters we've had put down because they get so old there's no point in prolonging it with hopeful antibiotics as it may not work and you don't really want them in pain.

Sorry Ash :(

I haven't had much luck with pets either. At 7 years old my first dog got an eye infection so his eye looked illuminous blue almost. He always seemed fairly happy and pretty unaffected by it. But one day, which I remember perfectly, he was acting extremely odd. He'd been to the vet a few times recently but today it felt as though he died, just not mentally. He was technically alive but he just sat in our utility for the entire day, staring. We tried to cheer him up but he didn't react at all.

The next day we found that he'd gone missing and ran away. Later my uncle found him lying dead in a field. It was pretty heartbreaking. I just remember quite vividly my Mam tellin my sister and myself when we came home from school. My Sister wailed for hours, even my Mam (not a big animal lover) shed a few tears. I was more in shock at this point but I cried a lot when everyone left the house.

Losing a pet is always sad. I hope you're Ashley, don't feel guilty :)

Sorry to hear it man. It's always hard even with small creatures like hamsters.

It was really hard when my cat Elvis died. I'd had him so long that loosing him was like loosing this constant part of my life. He was there, good and bad, through all my youth and changes. I still miss him an awful lot from time to time. It pisses me off when people say cats are just mercenary things because Elvis was anything but. He was my friend and my companion for life and he absolutely adored me.

Even so I knew putting him down was the best choice for him. He was very ill and it was an act of mercy. You can always take solace in that with your hamster too. it helps :)

n283900890_983114_195.jpg

Sorry to hear it man. It's always hard even with small creatures like hamsters.

It was really hard when my cat Elvis died. I'd had him so long that loosing him was like loosing this constant part of my life. He was there, good and bad, through all my youth and changes. I still miss him an awful lot from time to time. It pisses me off when people say cats are just mercenary things because Elvis was anything but. He was my friend and my companion for life and he absolutely adored me.

Even so I knew putting him down was the best choice for him. He was very ill and it was an act of mercy. You can always take solace in that with your hamster too. it helps :)

n283900890_983114_195.jpg

True, it really pisses me off when people just say Cats are selfish and only show affection when they want something. One of my Cats would refuse to sleep anywhere that I wasn't there and would always wait for me to come home before napping. If I was ever gone for an extended period he use to mope around, or so I was always told.

I miss him dearly :sad:

I have a pet rat with a cyst which may be benign but may not - andd needs surgery; I have a dog with two malignant tumours who is too old for surgery.

I don't really know what to say, I suppose I am not in any place to understand your sadness yet but in the case of my dog it's only a matter of time.

I think jayseven has the right idea. Pets that outlive you from now on.

Our oldest cat has dementia or something, we suspect. She occasionally gets "fits" of some sort where she gets extremely hyperactive, runs around the house and seems scared. Her pupils are very big, so we also suspect she might simply have problems adjusting them to the light, distorting her vision and thereby scaring her.

In any case, it's a very unpleasant experience. :( Since she was originally a stray cat (who was used to humans and thus perfectly tame), we don't know how old she is, but her life has evidently worn her down, so we don't expect her to live very long anymore.

Our previous cat we had to have put down because (and I'm not kidding) he had an infection in his gums, making him unable to eat. He had even survived a somewhat serious neural disease not long before, so it seemed like some kind of cruel irony of fate. A sister to one of our current cats was hit by a car (the only of our cats who has ever been hit by a car, surprisingly) and killed. This still makes me sad since she was so beautiful and elegant. Completely black, thin and long-legged with a shy, gracious nature. She may just have been my favourite of our cats. :(

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane