NEurope
Dyson

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Goddamn it, what did you do with Spellmaking Bethesda? The hell is wrong with you people?

Also: I still miss Mark and Recall from Morrowind.

Nevertheless, at 200 hours, I've still only done three of the main quests. So yes, better than Oblivion.

Anyone else think magic is really poor in this game? Or is it just me? I tried making a pure Mage character but... eurgh :( Not fun. Compared to melee and archery/sneak, magic is tough. Really tough. I keep getting my arse handed to me because enemies don't react to a torrent of fire flying at them, they just charge right through it and hack my fleshy arse to bits. I've tried all sorts of different strategies, including bringing a henchman along and conjuring a dremora, but most enemies seem to prioritise attacking me anyway and the same thing happens.

Actually, as a thought, is it just me or is the entire population of Skyrim fearless? Not just thinking about magic here, but Dragons too. Nobody runs from them. I haven't seen a single creature or event that has phased a guard or bandit the whole way through.

I have seen bears running from Ancient Dragons. The bears ran faster than me and the evolution theory was proved right :rolleyes:

Actually, as a thought, is it just me or is the entire population of Skyrim fearless? Not just thinking about magic here, but Dragons too. Nobody runs from them. I haven't seen a single creature or event that has phased a guard or bandit the whole way through.

They used to run...

then they took an arrow in the knee.

..Or a sword in the chest.

Finally getting dragons wanting to kill me, so I've been able to get frost shout and a ethereal shout too.

Keep forgetting to use them.

Anyone else think magic is really poor in this game? Or is it just me? I tried making a pure Mage character but... eurgh :( Not fun. Compared to melee and archery/sneak, magic is tough. Really tough. I keep getting my arse handed to me because enemies don't react to a torrent of fire flying at them, they just charge right through it and hack my fleshy arse to bits. I've tried all sorts of different strategies, including bringing a henchman along and conjuring a dremora, but most enemies seem to prioritise attacking me anyway and the same thing happens.

What you need is the destruction perk called Impact. Being a pure mage becomes a lot easier at that point. Naturally you should still carry some conventional weapons though just in case.

There are also destruction perks that make enemies run away when they've been attacked with certain spells when their health is low enough, and if that's not enough for you, I think there are some spells in the Illusion school that make people run away from you.

So it would seem the best skill trees are enchanting, alchemy and smithing. With these I've been able to make some ridiculous equipment, so that along with good one handed, sneak and archery you are extremely powerful. And always have a great supply of potions (screw restoration spells).

It's really easy to level smithing to 100 (takes less than 45 minutes with the warrior stone and well rested in Whiterun). Made getting to L50 a breeze too.

An interesting aside - notice that when you train at higher levels with skill trainers the cost is so high you can't steal it back? Plant a paralysis potion on skill trainers, and as they get back up you can pickpocket any amount of gold successfully (even if it says 0% chance). This definitely helps for skills at L80-90 which can be pretty slow going.

What are you favourite shouts? I quite like slow time.

Finished the Theives Guild and got the Guild Master Armour. It's ok I guess. It'll do.

Also finished the Companions and married Aela. 1 companion and Lydia showed up to the wedding. No one else came. Fuckers.

I now have Aela and Lydia at my home. It's like I have a wife and mistress, except they both live with me. I'm living the dream.

ForeverAlone-1-1.jpg

Lydia passed away yesterday :(

This made me laugh quite a lot -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/21/skyrim-lydia-death/

it's a guy who put Lydia to rest in a tomb in Skyrim, this particular part made me chuckle!

At this point my wife, Laura, has walked in, and she’s watching me waving a dead body in its bra and knickers, legs hideously splayed, around a mountain. “Is that Lydia?” she asks. She knew the name because my disappearing to play some Skyrim had become known as, “I’m just off to see Lydia.” And she knew Lydia had died because I’d previously wailed down the stairs, “Lydia’s dead!” She told me to take a screenshot while she changed into something black. She is sarcastic, and doesn’t care about Lydia.

“Why is she in her bra and pants?”

“Because I needed her armour.”

“Right.”

And videogames are thus further condemned. And then I drop Lydia, and she slides all the way down the mountain to the very bottom, crashing nakedly into the rocks yet again. And Laura looks at the ground, and leaves the room.

Edited by Murr

Had an epic battle between a Dragon, Mammoth, Mercenaries and a Giant last night. Basically, i let the Dragon wipe the Giant out, i did throw some attacks in to the Giant. I took care of the mercenaries, then me and Lydia proceeded to take down the dragon. After which, looked around to see the giant tusks of the Mammoth lunge into me, nearly killing me. Somehow managed to kill it, basically ran around a rock firing magica and axing it until it fell.

Twas so epic, i hope to encounter it again at a higher level.

I also encountered some mages, of which they stood no chance.

I'm more or less done with my secondary character. I created them purely to handle the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and any other morally dubious quests I came across.

Technically you can do everything with the one character, but it seemed wrong for the Dovahkiin — Harbinger of the Companions, thane of Whiterun — to be picking pockets for a bunch of ungrateful toerags.

Also:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Im loving this, its so easy to get distracted! Im level 12 at the minute, i cant seem to kill anything big.... like trolls or giants :(

Im loving this, its so easy to get distracted! Im level 12 at the minute, i cant seem to kill anything big.... like trolls or giants :(

I get my ass handed to me by giants.

Kill a dragon, no problem..

But try to kill a bear?

RUN LIKE CRAZY.

Can someone explain the arrow to the knee meme?

It's shown at the start of this video:

A huge number of NPCs (guards and soldiers) say this.

There is not a chance i can take down a giant single-handed yet, nowhere near that advanced.

I took down a giant with my bow. There was a bit of an epic fight going on between me, a dragon and a giant. Finished off the dragon and it turned out that the giant was hostile towards me, so I had to kill him. He never got within melee range, so all was good.

This game is £22.49 on the GAME website today, same in Gamestation, Currys/PCWorld will price match it down to £20.50. This is what I was waiting for :D

This game is £22.49 on the GAME website today, same in Gamestation, Currys/PCWorld will price match it down to £20.50. This is what I was waiting for :D

I'm gonna crack and buy it!

I'm gonna crack and buy it!

Good buy.

I really don't enjoy RPGs, but this is really really good.

Good buy.

I really don't enjoy RPGs, but this is really really good.

Yeah I like this brand of RPGs only reason I didn't get it before was time and cash. I likely won't start it till after new year (girlfriend arrives from canada in a few days and away over xmas) but at that price it's hard to resist.