NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Following on from what's happening with my sister, she's found out that the collages here won't accept a new pulil until the start of the next school year, so she'll have to wait until then to start her A-levels again.

I don't think I mentioned it already -- been told that the 'optional' overtime for the next 6 saturdays is actually kinda compulsory. While that'll bring another £400ish quid in for the next paycheque... that's 6 saturdays, maaan! £400 will pay for everything christmas related, sure... but it's these defrag weekends that enable me to perform properly. Technically I've got holiday covering 3 of these weekends so I can probably get out of it.

Typically, though, our workplace is quite good at handing out monthly bonuses to reflect extra efforts... I'm fairly confident that next paycheque will be the biggest I've had in my working life.

Basically I keep things to myself about family so I thought id post something in this thread as its basically anonymous.

Just had tea with a friend who called me out of the blue asking for a chat. Not spoke to this friend for ages as he never responded to my texts and when I suggested meeting up to do something he didnt appear to be all that bothered so I gave up. Anyway i decided to go and meet him.

Turns out that his Dad who abandoned him when he was 11 years old (my friend is 28) has had a fall and is in a bad way in hospital. My mate wanted to chat about whether to go meet him.

This completely reminded me of my family. I didn't see or have any contact with my Dad from the age of 8 to 20. Put it this way he never received a "father of the year award" and was a cunt to me. I call my step-dad "Dad". I decided to see him because he had a heart attack and I felt really guilty that I had no contact with him. Since this contact though I dont really have much to do with him.

So my advice to my mate was to go see him and at least you have been the bigger person. I dont know though for me it was completely weird. My Dad was like "Hey, what you been up to".Basically acted like nothing had happened after 12 years of no contact whatsoever whereas I had lots of questions to ask him.

I don't think I mentioned it already -- been told that the 'optional' overtime for the next 6 saturdays is actually kinda compulsory. While that'll bring another £400ish quid in for the next paycheque... that's 6 saturdays, maaan! £400 will pay for everything christmas related, sure... but it's these defrag weekends that enable me to perform properly. Technically I've got holiday covering 3 of these weekends so I can probably get out of it.

Typically, though, our workplace is quite good at handing out monthly bonuses to reflect extra efforts... I'm fairly confident that next paycheque will be the biggest I've had in my working life.

If I did that kinda of overtime (which I currently am doing and have been doing) I make about 200 quid, due to being paid normal rate and not time and a half.

£400 overtime, damn boy, you so lucky. :blush:

Basically just got back from seeing my folks and now I'm miserable. I told my Dad that the last 2/3 years has been so that they didn't have to house me whilst I looked for something nearer.

He then asked me what I wanted to do, so we've sorted out a plan. Which is nice, now I've just got to bide my time I suppose. :red:

Still got a toothache that started last Sunday after Extra Life and its pissing me off. Still hoping it will just go away soon, don't like going to the dentist.

Still got a toothache that started last Sunday after Extra Life and its pissing me off. Still hoping it will just go away soon, don't like going to the dentist.

That sucks, I hate toothache. Not a fan of the dentists but I do like how it generally can always be sorted out.

If I did that kinda of overtime (which I currently am doing and have been doing) I make about 200 quid, due to being paid normal rate and not time and a half.

£400 overtime, damn boy, you so lucky. :blush:

I'll be getting paid normal rate too :P We're allowed to do overtime for a specific part of the job, where in combination our team has a backlog of about 400. I've actually got zero backlog... so I spent the hours doing things I shouldn't be doing, but will actually make my working week a lot easier. However I'm going to 'come clean' about it to management, and I predict they'll either say "that's fine for this one time, but I guess we don't need you much for the overtime shifts," or "well from now on we'll get you to help the others with their backlog," which is basically going to mean I'll have to deal with their shite.

The thought of doing 6 weeks of 6 days is a little tough. Lots of little problems building up that I'm not good at finding the time for - clothes washing, food shopping, food cooking, tidying my room, seeing friends, seeing family, looking for a new place to live, sorting out the dentists, sorting out my hearing aids, even replying to emails from friends and family... And sorting out bank stuff, thinking about christmas presents, getting a bus pass sorted, sorting out my mum's PPI, job searching for my girlfriend... I know I need to get a plan together but when it comes to having any free time I just want to relax and be trademark-lazy.

I know it's silly to think of social things taking up my time as further distractions, but this week I don't have an evening 'off'. A lot of my friendships are one-to-one 'therapy' sessions, really. When I meet someone new I tend to be attentive, interested and eager to put them at ease. After a while I get a bit tired of just being talked at, so my impatient side comes out.

Alrighty I'm going to stop ranting now.

Had an awful evening where I couldn't stop getting mad at stuff. Our flat is a mess, I'm stuck on a shitty cramped desk because my own desk is being used as a hamster throne and to top it all off my Magic Mouse no longer works because a set of shitty batteries leaked in it.

I'd usually rant about this stuff in a comic, but I have zero desire to draw anything these days. Probably related to the desk situation, I dunno.

I have to spend all day tomorrow drawing for a client and while the dude and project are fun, I have no enthusiasm for doing anything creative right now.

Augh.

I'll be getting paid normal rate too :P We're allowed to do overtime for a specific part of the job, where in combination our team has a backlog of about 400. I've actually got zero backlog... so I spent the hours doing things I shouldn't be doing, but will actually make my working week a lot easier. However I'm going to 'come clean' about it to management, and I predict they'll either say "that's fine for this one time, but I guess we don't need you much for the overtime shifts," or "well from now on we'll get you to help the others with their backlog," which is basically going to mean I'll have to deal with their shite.

The thought of doing 6 weeks of 6 days is a little tough. Lots of little problems building up that I'm not good at finding the time for - clothes washing, food shopping, food cooking, tidying my room, seeing friends, seeing family, looking for a new place to live, sorting out the dentists, sorting out my hearing aids, even replying to emails from friends and family... And sorting out bank stuff, thinking about christmas presents, getting a bus pass sorted, sorting out my mum's PPI, job searching for my girlfriend... I know I need to get a plan together but when it comes to having any free time I just want to relax and be trademark-lazy.

I know it's silly to think of social things taking up my time as further distractions, but this week I don't have an evening 'off'. A lot of my friendships are one-to-one 'therapy' sessions, really. When I meet someone new I tend to be attentive, interested and eager to put them at ease. After a while I get a bit tired of just being talked at, so my impatient side comes out.

Alrighty I'm going to stop ranting now.

I get it.

I do - overtime is tough. In the last year, I've only had one month where I haven't been forced or asked to do overtime. The project is behind (which is public knowledge) and we're doing everything we can to get it out the door.

There's nothing wrong with wanting time to do things, I've always tried to ensure my weekends are off limits to work, which now, considering the only time I'll get time and a half is working the weekend, I never get asked to do, because work don't want to pay me.

But after 11 months or so (not including last Christmas where I clocked hours of 20+ all free overtime, I got given a £30 flash bonus (that doesn't fill my tank in my car). Last month I worked a few 56 hour weeks and only got £150 after tax.

Y'know receiving that payslip physically hurt. To know so much time had been put in and getting so little for it. In context that money goes straight back to petrol just for work. If I wanted petrol for the weekends too, that doesn't cover it.

But boohoo and all that for me.

As it is, I totally get it and would encourage you to ask them if you need to do it due to being on target, but don't get your hopes up.

I will say though, that don't let them make overtime a habit, forced or otherwise. I waited a long time to work back here, loved the idea of coming into QA.

But now every day is hard and I'm sitting on my PC typing to you thinking about when I'll go home tonight, because I simply don't know. I'm living to work and not the other way round. That's not how it should be.

Good luck. :hug:

We don't get paid overtime here. If the business needs us to work we have to work.

Fortunately we never have to come in at the weekends so its strictly Monday - Friday but it sucks having to stay late and not get compensated for it. Thankfully it's rare.

What comics do you write?

I haven't really worked on anything properly for years. My creative output has been slowly waning as I've gotten older.

I blame the desk.

We don't get paid overtime here. If the business needs us to work we have to work.

Fortunately we never have to come in at the weekends so its strictly Monday - Friday but it sucks having to stay late and not get compensated for it. Thankfully it's rare.

Agreed, I did that for quite an insane amount of hours last year at Christmas. I'd joined the company three weeks previously and instantly regretted my decision to join.

Thankfully, things have now improved, but as I mentioned, we're still doing a lot of ot.

Had a response back from Arriva Trains Fail regarding my missed Alter Bridge/Halestorm/Shinedown event. They obviously don't read emails correctly (or at all) and make no attempt to make me believe that. They began the email as "Dear Mr Bothon". Who's that then, i signed my email off as "Mr J Richards". They must have used my email and considered it my name, which makes me think "how???".

Secondly, my complaint says the event was at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff and i boarded the 18:08 Swansea service to Cardiff. They said there was no 18:08 service to Swansea stopping at the station, the photo i took says otherwise i might add. That was also sent in with the email, and they said there were no line issues. Again a screenshot of the Network Fail app and the Train notice board prove that otherwise. They also said they were unsure which station i was intending to get off the train as i mentioned both Swansea and Cardiff. I wonder if they may have noticed i said "Motor Point Arena in Cardiff".

@Jimbob whilst living in Cardiff I found Arriva Trains Wales to be poor on par to Northern Rail I would say.

@Jimbob whilst living in Cardiff I found Arriva Trains Wales to be poor on par to Northern Rail I would say.

Arriva Trains Wales are one of, if not THE worst Train company i've ever had the misfortune to use. It's a pity i use them most days

So a friend of mine was hit by a truck last night in Thornhill. She came out of the Buccleuch hotel staring at her phone. Walked out into the road and was hit by a truck and killed instantly...sad martins.

So a friend of mine was hit by a truck last night in Thornhill. She came out of the Buccleuch hotel staring at her phone. Walked out into the road and was hit by a truck and killed instantly...sad martins.

Sorry to hear that. Horrible thing to happen. I hope you're ok.

I hate this this thread. It's so full of sad. Feel-bads for matin. Hope you're alright, man.

Oh jesus christ, that's awful. That fucking truck route, it's a minor miracle it doesn't happen more often.

I know it doesn't help but I really am so sorry for your loss, dude! I wish there was something we could do to help! :hmm:

My thoughts are with you!