NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

On 01/12/2023 at 9:28 PM, drahkon said:

Just had one of the best meals of my life:

Ossobuco with risotto alla milanese.

I will dream of this tonight.

This just in: Italians make good food.

I am actually considering running away from my family going to Como over Christmas. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

This just in: Italians make good food.

Well, I knew that before thanks to my godfather :p

You're the admin who has been learning Italian these past few years, right? I need some pointers on apps, materials, etc.
I'll try to take a course next semester but would be up for learning some basics before.

30 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Well, I knew that before thanks to my godfather :p

You're the admin who has been learning Italian these past few years, right? I need some pointers on apps, materials, etc.
I'll try to take a course next semester but would be up for learning some basics before.

Sì, although it's taken a back seat recently as I kind of plateaued so I switched to Spanish and too busy for that. 

I've said before in the language learning thread that Duolingo won't teach you but can work for practice, same with things like Memrise. 

Recently used Language Transfer for Spanish and there's 70 lessons for Italian. The whole idea is starting with where the languages have similarities (the cognates) and builds on that to discuss similar etymologies etc. It's English-based so I'm not sure how useful it would be to you. Obviously your English is great, but whether it would be the same I don't know. But it's completely free so no harm checking it out. 

Weilla Tom on YouTube I found useful.

But really it's the classic immersion. In my case that's having friends that speak it (must message a friend in Milan actually) and practicing that way, but obviously stuff like Netflix for Italian content.

In terms of Netflix the limited series Everything Calls for Salvation I enjoyed as well as the films Rose Island and The Man Without Gravity (common denominator being Elio Germano so if you find some of his other films elsewhere check them out - I particularly liked My Brother Is An Only Child but it's difficult to find now). Aside from that I listen to a lot of Italian music which is kind of practice...

If I think of any more resources I'll let you know. 

I've found learning Spanish has been helpful. I sometimes get vocabulary mixed up because of similarities, but it's helping to reinforce the grammar especially when it comes to things we don't have in English like reflexive verbs, direct object pronouns etc so if you know another romance language that'll probably help you. And you're German so at least you're used to gender and Italian only has two!

In the new year considering signing up to a Spanish service that costs $150 a month but you can book yourself into as many one-to-one sessions (lessons or practice) as you want so considering doing that for say two months to boost myself and then maybe finding a private tutor or pester my Spanish-speaking friends. 

• Thanks 1

It's now been over a year since we got home from hospital after Ollie's second surgery. While he's not due another checkup for a few more months, he's doing great.

He's just starting to walk and is absolutely non-stop, and his imagination is already coming through strong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ashley said:

snip

Thank you :)

Will definitely look into your recommendations!

It's 2024! Hope you all have a fabulous year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 300 of no alcohol, woohoo! 

Spoiler

Day 3 used to be the biggest struggle, and it’s something I’d realised for a few years. Day 1 was always easy, I was recovering, in hangover state, mostly in bed and surviving by eating junk food and half-watching rubbish on TV. Day 2 was when the world seemed like a better place, the hangover was (mostly) over, and I could do what I wanted with my day, unencumbered by alcohol or the results of it. Day 3 was when I got the intense pang, as I’d had a normal day, so now the allure of alcohol was back, as I’d ‘proved’ I wasn’t an alcoholic.

Alcoholics must drink daily, I had proven everything was fine as I hadn’t drank in over a day, heck, I deserved to treat myself, I was on Day 3! And I did, on every third day for years and years. And even the last few years when I was now aware of the pattern and tried not having a Day 3©, and tried to instead continue on without alcohol, I did some mental gymnastics to justify getting a drink in the end, and while I may have been subconsciously sad and disappointed in myself, I had every justification under the sun to allow myself to partake in Day 3 of wine and beer time once again.

Today I celebrate Day 300 of no alcohol! I still can’t quite grasp that I have got this far, which is why I only make note of it every now and then, as I don’t want to freak myself out and break any kind of streak I have. I had started putting the day number on my chalkboard, but stopped doing it the last week or so as it was making me too aware of it, bringing it to the forefront of my mind too much, when I had been sailing for a month or two without thinking about alcohol too much and just enjoying life.

But the fact that I couldn’t get past Day 3 for so long and have now hit this milestone is something I’m happy and a little bit confused about lol. All I know is that I never want to go back to that place, so without making myself think too much about the future, all I will say is that for the immediate days ahead, I will continue to make more distance from those days, and will work out how much time has passed when I get that curious feeling again! Until then, here’s to day 300+!

• Like 5