N-Europe

What order would you show your kids the Stars Wars saga in?

flameboy

Ok so here goes the Stars Wars Trilogy became a saga and perhaps it never should have been. For me its such a huge cultural behemoth that I just have to show it to my kids (unborn lol) in some form, much like at school they will read what are considered classic novels, plays etc... but what order?! I've always thought it would be interesting to show them from beginning to end and see how they would view it with Darth Vader and such like. It could give a very different perspective on the series....

One of my friends had a very approach he would show them A New Hope and Empires Strike Back and then show Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith as flashbacks at this point to show what happened in the build up and how things got quite so dire and fucked up. Also it presents a very different way of the audience finding out whether or not Darth Vaders claims are true and he is Luke's father, it gives the birth scene a real new impetus rather than it being a matter of course...there are countless other reasons..as well you'd instantly see Darth Vader's nnoooooooo and his presentation as a somewhat tragic figure and then see his redemption in Return of the Jedi. So his order would be be 3,4,1,2,3,5 basically.

Of course you could just pretend the prequels never existed and just show them the original trilogy.

Or even not consider Star Wars remotely important enough to contemplate it.

Originals and then Prequels.

I think the story works better that way...

1) "I am your father" is a better revelation than who the Emporer is,

2) Darth Vader is far far far less menacing if you watch the prequels first... you actually feel more sorry for him than anything!

Originals and then Prequels.

I think the story works better that way...

1) "I am your father" is a better revelation than who the Emporer is,

2) Darth Vader is far far far less menacing if you watch the prequels first... you actually feel more sorry for him than anything!

Exactly so it gives it a different slant.....

To hell with George's overblown toy commercials, my kids will be watching Blade Runner the second "me" becomes a stable concept to them.

Yes. You're correct.

Star Wars doesn't cry "HAVE TO SHOW MY KIDS" at me...but then my dad never showed me them either (saw Phantom menace first, then watched the originals etc - so I was like 10 or older). He was fairly indifferent to them, and has various points on the series I agree with.

I'd much sooner show my kids all the Disney Classics than Star Wars.

4,5 and 6 are great films. They're a huge part of the childhood of many people around the world today.

1,2 and 3 are abominations. All of them. I don't go for this "well, ep 3 was actually pretty good" rubbish, they were all bad. Terrible scripting, all style and no substance, and so many wooden acting scenes. "To me, the Jedi are eeevil!"

I will never show 1,2 or 3 to my kids.

Maybe you should let them make their own opinions instead of forcing yours onto them? :p

Seriously, I urge all you geeks/people out there to do the same. Once you've seen 1,2 and 3, you can't view the saga in the same light as you could before. It's one of those things that can't be unseen.

If you want to see how George Lucas absolutely destroys any mystery over the rise of Darth Vader, then by all means, watch the prequel trilogy.

I wish somebody stopped me from watching the prequels. :p

Also, you gain no positives from watching the prequels. The originals function perfectly fine by themselves.

Seriously, I urge all you geeks/people out there to do the same. Once you've seen 1,2 and 3, you can't view the saga in the same light as you could before. It's one of those things that can't be unseen.

It's true. It's like if they did a prequel episode of Scooby Doo where it turns out Scooby and Shaggy used to have an on/off sexual relationship before they joined the rest of the gang - nothing's ever the same after that. Especially the episodes you've already seen.

then see his redemption in Return of the Jedi. So his order would be be 3,4,1,2,3,5 basically.

But you'd never watch Return of The Jedi.

I was actually discussing this with some people a few nights back. I myself am planning to watch them prequels first then the original after. I'm watching them in order and getting the better ones later.

That's not to say I dislike the prequels. Some of the action scenes I thought were quite sexy. First hearing Dual of the Fates watching Darth Maul, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn go at it always tugs at me. Then hearing it again as Yoda battles Sidious on the podium as it launches into the senate room. Epic.

Also this is awesome.

Am I the only one who actually likes 1-3 including Jar Jar? Or am I just a crazy fan.

I would be tempted to show them in order 1-6, Done this last year in one day which actually was pretty good. However, I agree with some of the comments in the thread on why you would show the originals first, I think it's a better experience.

Whatever way I show them, my kids (few years off creation yet) will defo be watching all the films at some point. Will start them off with the clone wars cartoon probably to get their interest :P

One of my friends had a very approach he would show them A New Hope and Empires Strike Back and then show Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith as flashbacks at this point to show what happened in the build up and how things got quite so dire and fucked up. Also it presents a very different way of the audience finding out whether or not Darth Vaders claims are true and he is Luke's father, it gives the birth scene a real new impetus rather than it being a matter of course...there are countless other reasons..as well you'd instantly see Darth Vader's nnoooooooo and his presentation as a somewhat tragic figure and then see his redemption in Return of the Jedi. So his order would be be 3,4,1,2,3,5 basically.

I was thinking chronological order at first, but this actually sounds like the best way to see them.

My kids will learn all about cinema in a series of lectures and seminars, tutored by me. I will show them the original (4,5,6) trilogy as part of my 70's cinema semester, then a couple of years later they will be allowed a recap of the first trilogy before watching the latest 3 films, which shall fall under the '00's throwback sequels' module.

Anyone who recommends seeing 1,2,3 first is an idiot. Why ruin a perfectly good trilogy by spoilerising it with such... shite cinema? 1,2,3 only have any value with the knowledge of what's to come! 4,5,6 have such excellent auras because have no knowledge of 1,2,3. Don't fuck it up.