N-Europe

What Have You Bought?

Ashley

Completely irrelevant.

It is relevant. He's saying [i think] it's cool to not be put off by Hello Kitty headphones if they're the best available. But if there are better ones and you go out of your way to have Hello Kitty headphones then that's uncool.

I hate the word "cool".

It is relevant. He's saying [i think] it's cool to not be put off by Hello Kitty headphones if they're the best available. But if there are better ones and you go out of your way to have Hello Kitty headphones then that's uncool.

I hate the word "cool".

It is irrelevant. Since Hello Kitty is considered feminine or at least very un-masculine in the common consciousness, a guy wearing Hello Kitty headphones is signaling: "I don't care about social status. I do what I like to do regardless of other people's opinions." And that makes him cooler than any plain set of headphones could - regardless of price.

It is irrelevant. Since Hello Kitty is considered feminine or at least very un-masculine in the common consciousness, a guy wearing Hello Kitty headphones is signaling: "I don't care about social status. I do what I like to do regardless of other people's opinions." And that makes him cooler than any plain set of headphones could - regardless of price.

I disagree. Not caring about whether it has Hello Kitty or whether they are feminine is "cool". But going out of your way to own have them just because they are Hello Kitty just screams, "HEY! LOOK AT ME! LOOK HOW DIFFERENT I AM!!!"

I disagree. Not caring about whether it has Hello Kitty or whether they are feminine is "cool". But going out of your way to own have them just because they are Hello Kitty just screams, "HEY! LOOK AT ME! LOOK HOW DIFFERENT I AM!!!"

But he isn't doing it to be different, he's doing it because he likes Hello Kitty. Major difference.

"HEY LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK HOW DIFFERENT I AM!!" and "I don't care about social status. I do what I like regardless of others' opinions" aren't really separate entities.

No, but the two mindsets behind them are: In the case of the former you go out of your way to be different for the sake of being different. In the case of the latter you do what you like regardless if it's different from the norm or not.

If you wear Hello Kitty headphones just to be different, then you're just a poser, but if you wear Hello Kitty headphones for the sole reason that you want to wear Hello Kitty headphones, you're pretty cool. If you're simultaneously going against social conventions, you're pretty damn cool.

Intense debate. :)

I wanted to get better ones than my last ones which have broken in the same way as in the plastic snapped so I went with these because it has metal bits instead. (Hopefully not as easy to break) I could have got the same ones again as they were £10 cheaper but I wanted a change. At the Hello Kitty ones stared at me like "Look how awesome and pink I am" I didn't have to get this colour the red and white ones were also nice looking. :D

Online they have like gold and black ones as well which are also awesome!

9e499beaab4281b38cb562f1b328e662.image.250x139.jpg

I was debating in store that £10s more didn't just mean because of branding but I took the risk and I prefer the sound quality too. Others in the same price range I had a look at but the actual bits for the ears looked mega uncomfortable like either to small or outwards.

Also Freakin' Hello Kitty headphones they look awesome. (Got my second compliment just now) I fail to see how you can't see this. :p

TL;DR: My thought process: "I need new headphones OMG hello kitty ones, bought." :grin:

Not really...

Since it's entirely within the realms of reason to have a joke in your life / wear/have random things, without being a hipster.

That is exactly what I was trying to say though. Coolness is just being himself, having/wearing random things that he likes, and not for the sake of being different(hipster).

What is this? Less debate, more consumerism:

51v0plGT68L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

320GB hard drive upgrade (from 160) for my Macbook. Not sure I really have the money to be upgrading now but thought I might as well, going to have to eventually anyway. Plus the fact I dropped my laptop and broke my hard drive rather forced my hand.

Homer: So, I realized that being with my family is more important than being cool.

Bart: Dad, what you just said was powerfully uncool.

Homer: You know what the song says: "It's hip to be square".

Lisa: That song is so lame.

Homer: So lame that it's... cool?

Bart+Lisa: No.

Marge: Am I cool, kids?

Marge: Good. I'm glad. And that's what makes me cool, not caring,

right?

Marge: Well, how the hell do you be cool? I feel like we've tried

everything here.

Homer: Wait, Marge. Maybe if you're truly cool, you don't need to

be told you're cool.

Bart: Well, sure you do.

Lisa: How else would you know?

Anyway I bought Elite Beat Agents for £2.99. :)

eba.jpg