Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mysteries of the Universe

Beast

There arguably hasn't been a successful terrorist attack on the United States since 9/11

You mean apart from the instances where civilians have been killed for religious or anti-government reasons?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What come first, the chicken or the egg?

That's answerable if you follow the theory of evolution. The first thing that came was the egg that housed the chicken. The egg itself came from what the chicken used to be, the chicken as we know it is a mutation that sprung from the egg.

Its trainer gave it a Cluck Incense and bred it and the Egg hatched into a Chicken as opposed to the Cluckador. Chicken win. Shame it only evolves through happiness...god damned baby Pokémon....I want my Roosty.

However, if you follow creationism, then a wizard did it.

Edited by Serebii

You mean apart from the instances where civilians have been killed for religious or anti-government reasons?

I probably should have specified ones committed by Al-Qaeda, as they're the ones who are really targeted by the war on terror.

I probably should have specified ones committed by Al-Qaeda, as they're the ones who are really targeted by the war on terror.

But aren't more citizens of the United States getting killed in the war then all the Al-Qaeda terrorist attacks so far?

There arguably hasn't been a successful terrorist attack on the United States since 9/11, so obviously they're doing something right. In all seriousness, 9/11 was a direct attack on the United States by a group that was strongly associated with those governing Afghanistan.

*cough* george bush did it *cough* *cough* same with Hitler and the *cough* Reichstag fire *ahem*

sorry I don't normally cough when typing...

*cough* george bush did it *cough* *cough* same with Hitler and the *cough* Reichstag fire *ahem*

sorry I don't normally cough when typing...:heh:

So what exactly is your evidence for this? Pretty much every argument blaming the government for 9/11 has been debunked by science.

So what exactly is your evidence for this? Pretty much every argument blaming the government for 9/11 has been debunked by science.

The 9/11 conspiracy nuts always bring out a list of so-called experts who believe the towers were brought down by explosives. Oddly, not a single civil or structural engineers is amongst them...

That said, amongst any scientific profession, civil/ engineers are the most likely to be creationists. As one, it's embarrassing...

That there are different degrees of infinity. Like, there is an infinite number of even numbers, yet there are twice as many numbers if you include both even and uneven numbers. Infinity times two.

It is correct that there are different degrees of infinity, but the example you give is wrong.

The even numbers are countably infinite - you can list them. In mathematical lingo, you can form a bijection between them and the natural numbers; in everyday speak, this means that for every even number, there is a corresponding natural number (the first even number is 2, the second is 4, the third 6, etc etc). Therefore they have the same cardinality (or "size") as each other, namely aleph-0 (the "least" infinity).

An example of a "greater" infinity is the power set of the natural numbers, which is the set of all subsets of the natural numbers, which has cardinality aleph-1.

For example, the power set of {1,2,3} is {{},{1},{2},{3},{1,2},{1,3},{2,3},{1,2,3}}, and as you can see this gets very big very quickly as you increase the number of elements in the base set. (To be precise, there are 2^n elements in the power set, where n is the number of elements in the base set).

The power set is more "dense", and its elements aren't listable, therefore it's more infinite than the natural numbers.

But yeah, the concept of infinity is impenetrable without the help of set theory :p.

Edited by chairdriver

It is correct that there are different degrees of infinity, but the example you give is wrong.

The even numbers are countably infinite - you can list them. In mathematical lingo, you can form a bijection between them and the natural numbers; in everyday speak, this means that for every even number, there is a corresponding natural number (the first even number is 2, the second is 4, the third 6, etc etc). Therefore they have the same cardinality (or "size") as each other, namely aleph-0 (the "least" infinity).

An example of a "greater" infinity is the power set of the natural numbers, which is the set of all subsets of the natural numbers, which has cardinality aleph-1.

For example, the power set of {1,2,3} is {{},{1},{2},{3},{1,2},{1,3},{2,3},{1,2,3}}, and as you can see this gets very big very quickly as you increase the number of elements in the base set. (To be precise, there are 2^n elements in the power set, where n is the number of elements in the base set).

The power set is more "dense", and its elements aren't listable, therefore it's more infinite than the natural numbers.

But yeah, the concept of infinity is impenetrable without the help of set theory :p.

Well, that was the example my physics teacher gave to me to try to explain that some infinities are more infinite than others. But I guess he dumbed it down to make it understandable for a C level physics student like me. :p

I guess it is too subtle for you then, I have been "playing" that with a friend of mine for a while.

There is no winning, only trying to make someone lose without yourself loosing in the process.

Quite a mental challenge.

The 9/11 conspiracy nuts always bring out a list of so-called experts who believe the towers were brought down by explosives. Oddly, not a single civil or structural engineers is amongst them...

That said, amongst any scientific profession, civil/ engineers are the most likely to be creationists. As one, it's embarrassing...

Most of the "evidence" I've heard from conspiracy theorists on the matter hasn't even been presented by so called experts, just eye witnesses who said the buildings falling down didn't look like it does in the movies. The whole thing is quite sad really.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!