N-Europe

Mario Kart 7

Retro_Link

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we'll have to wait until E3 to see more of the game and some of the other track designs but really, I'm not feeling it from the video. I really hope we get some track design that follows a similar line to Mario Kart DS rather than Mario Kart Wii, as the DS game had better new tracks than the Wii one did.

This game looks great!

Whilst that footage was 'replay footage'... I think you should perhaps race with a slightly more dynamic camera anyway! I really liked the footage from 10-20 seconds, where the camera is slightly off centre and at a bit of an angle as you exit the castle and go round the corner! :D

Mario Kart is Mario Kart. I think with the analogue slider, its going to feel more like Mario kart 64. Snaking will not be back, I'm sure of that - anti casual.

Those tracks look really wide - wasn't the argument that MK Wii felt a little slower due to the widening of the tracks to accommodate 12 players? 12 racers again, methinks.

Mario Kart 64 & Mario Kart Double Dash stands out to me.

What I dream to happen one day is for SNAKING to return. It brings a whole new level of skill into the mix with the dodging of the red - and if you're awesome enough - blue shells :D

It'd be so sweet if NINTENDO allowed the possibility for "casuals" to ask themselves "How do they (Pros) do that snake motion with their karts?", practise it and then progress - rather then forcing everybody to stick within the noobish boundaries.

I know everybody hates the infamous Blue Shell :laughing: but I happen to like it - along with every other item in the game. However, it would be more logical to make it be used like how it was in, I think, Mario Kart 64; Where when the David Dakota's ( :laughing: ) fire it, it hits everybody it passes up to the Dynamo's/Fused King's/Lostmario's :D

That way, it actually allows the user to catch up and benefit from his/her work rather than helping 4th-6th rankers to overtake the guys in 1st-3rd who got caught in the blue explosion.

Not sure how the Snaking would work though. I do like the classic 'hop', so could they do a hop into the snake?

And ofcourse, better course designs (I thought it was only me). MK Wii is bags o' fun but I believe the courses could've been heaps greater.

I don't know, sometimes I feel like NINTENDO is losing it's... NINTENDO'ness :laughing:

Hopefully snaking will be back, with a little bit of lag at the end of each boost so there's a delay before you activate your next one.

My main concern is just items; there were far too many in MK:Wii and it just got more random. On the SNES games you got 1 (maybe 2) sets of items per lap; all you need really.

Ever since snaking was invented (Double Dash?) I then realised how boring it was by simply driving straight and twiddling your thumbs until the next turn and repeating throughout the whole race :laughing:

Dashing, or Snaking, was much more fun because 'driving skills' really do highlight. What I mean by this is you then get slow and fast snakers. Snakers who can dodge items (Red or Blue shells) etc.

The race is more intense rather than a slow cruise through Daisy Circuit admiring all the cute scenary :wink:

As for the items... MORE PLEASHE!!! :bouncy:

Special items which, again, I believe first appeared in DOUBLE DASH, would be a special suprise from a present box :D Seeing Mario & Luigi's red & green flame balls, Bowser's Bowser Shell etc... OMG!!! Even the Boo Card where you thief a participant prezzie :laughing:

Tbf there wasnt snaking in the SNES version but it worked well because the tracks were a lot smaller and it felt like you were actually 'karting'. Snaking just gives you something to do as opposed to just pressing the a button on otherwise overly long tracks.

Tbf there wasnt snaking in the SNES version but it worked well because the tracks were a lot smaller and it felt like you were actually 'karting'. Snaking just gives you something to do as opposed to just pressing the a button on otherwise overly long tracks.

Yes, and when Double Dash came out I realised how improved the gameplay became. But, for pros, it (snaking) wasn't just for the sake of "something to do", it was for skillfully dodging items and achieving faster laps/races : peace:

Mind you, I'm sure they could've made it work in Mario Kart Wii by allowing you to snake after the little hop, which would enable karters to keep up with bikers.

Although bikers still are at a slight advantage; only having to do an 'up yours' motion with the wii mote in order to do wheelies, while karters have to be drifting insanely for the snakes :laughing:

The series is more fun for the ultra-hardcore with snaking but far less fun online for the regular gamer or casual player. The ultra-hardcore who master it are a tiny minority of the overall userbase. Nintendo should be making decisions that appeal to the greatest number of players (although often they do not...).

I enjoyed snaking in MKDS. Don't know if my thumb can be arsed with it now.

As long as the battle mode tracks are SIMPLE and aren't the size of small cities. All 4 SNES battle modes + the feather would be a very welcome addition IMO. Oh and hopefully the idiot who thought it would be a good idea not to let people play multipayer battle 1 vs 1 has been sacked.

Snaking takes way too much effort imo, if it comes back it forces me to do it to be competitive and makes everyone look stupid.

Well you have two types of players; 'pros' and 'those who can not be named'. To 'pros', snaking isn't an extra task... It's just simply our way of pressing 'A' :laughing:

In any case, I'm not saying that I wish for snaking to be in MARIOKART 3DS. I'm just saying I'd like to see it again :bowdown:

It probably wouldn't fit well in the 3DS version anyway? ::shrug:

And it is indeed about the fun, which I'm sure the 3DS version will be! :yay:

Snaking takes way too much effort imo, if it comes back it forces me to do it to be competitive and makes everyone look stupid.

See note that when I posted I was actually technically pro-snaking without sounding derogatory in any way to those who cant do it, but this kind of post irritates me and is unnecessary.

I dont see how it makes anyone look stupid, if anything to me it's the most impressive way to see the game being played and I find it dull to just watch people go straight down the middle of the track.

To be blunt to it was only ever removed because people whined about it. Staff ghosts noticibly used it to a degree in time trials. It was the "expert" way to play the game whether people like it or not.

I always win without snaking. My opponents always used it, but I always win :)

Oh god, you must've been on a whole new level of epic! :o:D

Snaking as Bowser in the tank was pretty funny.

I know right, smashing into everybody and making them go off course. Lol that was fun stuff :grin:

Shouldn't we be speculating about potential new characters....

I for one hope that Petey Piranha will return and that a certain fat purple Luma will make an appearance.

The ring leader appears :laughing:

Lol Yes along with that plant, I'd love for the shy ShyGuy guy to be playable. :D

That being said I'd rather the games have a bit of skill too. Mario kart wii felt like a party game on wheels.

It was actually quite skill based. A beginner had pretty much no chance, as all vehicles slowed down to a crawl when you hit something. Couple that with karts having an unexpected large turn radius (for heavy ones they were actually gigantic), bikes achieving overall higher average speed and most vehicles being useless compared to two or three superior ones and MK Wii is the Mario Kart I'm most reluctant to play with friends who are unfamiliar with it.

The thing were MK Wii could be a real bitch, was when you were first and not much ahead of everyone else with 12 drivers in the game. With a bit of "luck" you got bombed into oblivion. :P

For a party-racing game I'd say MK64 is the way to go. At least I have the impression that the vehicles are much more manageable there. Also MK64's balloon battle rocks. ^^

People without experience aren't any more likely to win there, but they're also more likely to be able to handle the vehicles. Even the heavy ones.

Edited by Burny

Also MK64's balloon battle rocks. ^^

Yeah I loved the battles. There's something about Block Plaza that's just so amazing.

Which is why on MK Wii it drives me crazy when everybody goes for battle courses like that Cookie Crumble, which is ridiculously small (especially for 12 players).

Lol I can't complain though because after, I'm proud with all the different variety of stages that I'd have played :D