Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Retro_Link

Have you not seem her updated design:

tinykong.jpg

Yeah... that was when Rare was going down the pan though.

I wonder this as well, actually. Are they even working in games any more?

They just sold their stakes in Rare and got outta there. :( I've not heard about them doing any further game development- Wikipedia doesn't shed alot more light on the Wikipedia reference-linkStamper Brothers either.

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I basically held off on my opinions of Donkey Kong Country Returns a little in this thread because, in some ways, I'm not entirely sure what I make of the game..

I played it a lot for a couple of weeks ater Christmas and definitely enjoyed the countless hours I invested clearing the levels and collecting as many items as possible :hehe: I haven't had it on for a wee while now, though.. and I'm not sure if, or when, I'll be back..

As it stands, the game in on 130%+ (I'm not sure of the exact amount :indeed:) and despite there being different ways of tackling each level, I feel like I've basically seen everything the game has to offer! That's not a criticism! There is a very substantial amount of content in the game and I appreciate all the different options :smile:

However, although I can see myself playing through the original Donkey Kong Country again and again in the future, I'm not convinced the same will be true of Donkey Kong Country Returns :hmm: It is a good game and a very enjoyable platformer.. but is it a classic? I'd have to go with no. I just don't see it holding the appeal of the first game on the SNES and, to a lesser extent, DKC 2 and 3..

I imagine I will go back and try to finish what I like to consider the 'Daredevil' mode at some point in the future but however and whenever I do play it, one of my opinions will not change and has not altered from the first moment I sat down with the game; the vibe just isn't quite right..

Well, this counts as classic platformer like NSMBWii so I don't think it will broaden her horizon much further. However, go look for the 3D-platformers like Super Mario Galaxy. That might do the trick.

Trust me anything thats not Mario will broaden her horizon she is very single minded that all other games are dumb! Super Mario Galaxy is a no go she sat with me play large chunks of 2 and just didn't get it 3D space confuses here at this point lol plus she thinks there was too much going on.

What about downloading some Virtual Console games, flameboy? Donkey Kong Country could be a good place to start or maybe even Sonic The Hedgehog or Sonic 2 ::shrug:

yeah maybe she doesn't really like sonic because she thinks he is dumb and fast lol! Despite this she likes watching others games at times just not playing them as such.

Would Muramasa strike a chord with her? Beautiful visuals, a great combat system...and it has depth there, which might slowly reel her in to other games. You can play the game without collecting all the swords (I think) but the depth is there if you want to explore it.

Also, what about de Blob? Or perhaps something like Epic Mickey?

Finally have the game to play through, now to find a little time... :(

Can't wait, hope I'm more positive than all you moaners :)

Think like this. 'Out with the old, in with the new' new being better and old being generic 90's puss :heh:

Do that, and it'll be one of the greatest platformers ever created :D

Trust me anything thats not Mario will broaden her horizon she is very single minded that all other games are dumb! Super Mario Galaxy is a no go she sat with me play large chunks of 2 and just didn't get it 3D space confuses here at this point lol plus she thinks there was too much going on.

Could she endure loads of witty dialogue in Super Paper Mario?

and what about Mario with the M turned upside down in a Shake Dimension?

Edited by Fused King

• 2 weeks later...
flameboy, she may like the Lostwinds games..?!

ooooh now theres a suggestion and a game I own.

Would Muramasa strike a chord with her? Beautiful visuals, a great combat system...and it has depth there, which might slowly reel her in to other games. You can play the game without collecting all the swords (I think) but the depth is there if you want to explore it.

Also, what about de Blob? Or perhaps something like Epic Mickey?

Oooooh de blob might be worth a try.

Okay, so finally played a bit of this now. Im up to the forest world and have just gone back to the first world to get some kong letters and a nice surprise awaited me, a new level opened up and it was pure, old school play forming goodness. Difficult, very difficult, insanely difficult goodness, it was utterly incredible.

In fact, this whole game so far is utterly incredible, i can't believe anyone wouldn't think it was, it's hard, but not too hard (yet. I presume it gets insane later one) but loads of incentive to keep playing with all the collectivise, ext as levels and time trials. But the sheer variety and genius in the level design is just incredible, in fact it's the design which makes me want to play through more than the the unlockables and stuff, I just love it. And my fear of the blowing mechanice being annoying hasn't been realised as you barely use it. I'm really in love with this game and can't wait to keep playing, and for the first time in a LONG tie (im talking years and years and years) I'm going to play it over and over to find and finish as much as i can!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the core game today. Last boss took me about 30ish lives, didn't think I was ever going to do it at one point - if you die up there you don't start again with diddy!

I tried to enjoy it for what it was but it definately isn't the same as the old DKC series. I much preferred the flow of the older games and the fact that is you made a little mistake you could rectify it, in this you have to be dead precise!

Never got a game over screen but that was because I ended up buying lives from cranky.

So I don't know really, it's a good game but being such a fan of the originals i think ruined the game a bit for me. I feel like I was too hard on DKC3 now when I played that for the first time!

Oh and I don't know about everyone else but I was really disappointed with the bosses. Although I was pleasantly surprised in the 7th world with the:

Chicken

That boss made me chuckle. :laughing:

Edited by Arnieboy

Oh and I don't know about everyone else but I was really disappointed with the bosses. Although I was pleasantly surprised in the 7th world with the:

Chicken

That boss made me chuckle. :laughing:

Haven't seen this chicken. I got up to the Vine Valley rip-off world and honestly don't know if or when I'll ever play DKC:R again. The Ho-oh bird one was the best of the very very bad bunch of boss encounters I slogged through.

That part where you had to blow into the sleeping giant totems ear was probably the sickest thing I've ever done in a videogame.

• 2 weeks later...

Up to world 7 now and still loving it. Not finding it THAT difficult though it's ramping up now. Love the mine cart levels, could play these over and over!! Loved the world where it was mine cart after mine cart and then one where you started on a minecart and the fell off straight away :)

Went to world 1 and got all the kongs and was pleasantly surprised to open up a new level. A level (which was fucking hard) that is pure platforming genius!! Just incredible platforming!!

Playing it tonight though, made me think how incredible this would be on the 3DS, the levels move in and out of the foreground it would look incredible!!

Don't know how long I have left, but it's so good I will easily play through it and get everything in the game. Easily one of my favourite games on the wii

• 2 weeks later...
Donkey Kong Country Returns was presented to me mere minutes ago by my lovely girl:D

Girlfriend = MOAR GAMMMEEEEZZZZ:laughing:

And you then presented her with her 'Best Girlfriend Ever Award'?

Or did you do what any man would have done - sent her to the kitchen to make you cups of tea and sanwiches whilst you played your new game?