Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The party will host an in-party election to decide that. Presumably in the next day or two to keep things moving.

Well yes....

I was asking the question who is likely to be leader/who people on here think should be leader.

:heh:

The bookies have David Miliband as favourite, but I'm not so sure personally. If there's a Lab/Lib coalition and that coalition suffers a lot of public backlash then Miliband won't go near a leadership contest, he's ducked shit for too long to risk it all over the leadership of a highly unpopular coalition government.

I'm gonna pop a bet on Alistair Darling. I've just got this sneaky feeling that he's being lined up to take Brown's place. No mention of him as either PM or Labour Leader a few months ago, then there was the odd bit of talk, then the bookies started to rate him. As of today he's third on 10/1 behind Alan Johnson at 6/1 and Miliband at 1/2. That's down from 25/1 last week.

Oh and to paraphrase Dan Dare; I would love to get a poster of Cameron's facial reaction if a Labour/Lib-Dem government was formed.

Actually made me lol.

Lord Ashcroft would be a good shout too, bloke's already pissed that the Tories didn't gain a majority (so much monies so badly wasted! :laughing:)

Really wasn't expecting him to resign as Labour leader. I suppose it'll be for the benefit of the party if they want to try and get a coalition going with the other parties.

So yeh, it'll definitely be interesting to see who gets the position. David Milliband does seem like the likeliest candidate for the position but so long as Sith Lord Mandelson doesn't get it, then I'm not bothered. Cause you know Mandelson has been lining himself up for a shot at the job should anything have gone wrong. You just know it. You only have to look at the 'guy' to know he has some evil intentions. And I say 'guy' but I really suspect he's the devil incarnate. You certainly wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley.

I agree with Ashley that it's ridiculous how politicians are blamed for the damages the recession did. It seems to be the case all over the world that the oppositions blame the current governments and say that they would have done much better. I highly doubt it in most cases.

I'd say the only one who could say anything was Vince Cable as he predicted the recession.

Conservatives have apparently panicked and put a referendum of Alternative Vote on the trade table. Waddya think folks, deal or no deal? To share or to shaft?

Honestly, I'd love it if a Lib/Lab pact would go further, but if that's what the Libs settle for in the end I'll take it. It's not nearly enough but I'll take it (for now). Clegg & Co seem to be playing their cards right.

Brown quitting could be very bad news if it gets the lib dems to side with Labour, we're in for one hell of a shit parliament if that happens. We'll have a PM who wasn't party leader at time of election which won't go down well with people and either no majority or a very flimsy one at best.

Hopefully the deal with the tories will go through with a bit of reform to the voting system. It really is the best option.

Dave Miliband would be my choice for Labour leader. I really don't want Alistair Darling or Ed Balls. And not just because of the ridiculous of their names either.

Or how about this guy as a dark horse:

Lord-Mandelson-speaking-a-001.jpg

Really wasn't expecting him to resign as Labour leader.

I vaguely expected it because of the rumour. Added some comments in bold (I had this info on Friday, so I've been paying attention to see if there was any truth to it since then).

-----

Peter Mandelson has passed a seven point document to Nick Clegg offering the following:

1) STV. (Referendum on STV confirmed, with AV being in place immediately).

2) 500 seat House of Commons. (Not yet confirmed)

3) 75% elected House of Lords. (Mumblings about this)

4) Fixed four year parliaments. (Again, mumblings about this)

5) Brown to resign as Labour leader but stay as PM (not caretaker) until a replacement is elected. (Confirmed, today)

6) Four Lib Dem cabinet seats including Home Secretary and Chief Treasury Secretary. (Not yet confirmed)

7) Joint announcement at 5pm on Monday. (Not fully realised, BUT, Brown did stand down today at this time)

Edited by RoadKill

Mandelson? Jesus Christ no. He makes The Sith look like The Samaritans.

If Mandelson got the job of PM, he'd make David Cameron look like

SaviorAndRedeemer.jpg

That would be in the eyes of those who don't want the Conservatives getting power.

Mandelson would be awesome :p Can't say I trust the guy one bit but at least he'd give us one hell of a show for a few years.

Peter Mandelson has passed a seven point document to Nick Clegg offering the following:

1) STV. (Referendum on STV confirmed, with AV being in place immediately).

2) 500 seat House of Commons. (Not yet confirmed)

3) 75% elected House of Lords. (Mumblings about this)

4) Fixed four year parliaments. (Again, mumblings about this)

5) Brown to resign as Labour leader but stay as PM (not caretaker) until a replacement is elected. (Confirmed, today)

6) Four Lib Dem cabinet seats including Home Secretary and Chief Treasury Secretary. (Not yet confirmed)

7) Joint announcement at 5pm on Monday. (Not fully realised, BUT, Brown did stand down today at this time)

I actually think that first point might be a mistake. Bringing AV in immediately and without referendum when it wasn't offered at the election (only a referendum was offered IIRC) could well backfire. Not everyone is in favour of moving from FPTP and those that aren't will be seriously pissed about the decision being taken away from their hands.

Interesting though, that's both parties apparently offering 4 posts, with Home Secretary and Chief Treasury Secretary among them. The Conservatives apparently offered Transport and Schools along with those two. That's a good group, playing in to some of the Lib Dems stronger policies and keeping them away from areas where they're unpopular (Defence and Foreign Policy).

I think they're not (completely) thinking for themselves (i.e. they could be worse). Clegg is exploring all the options that the other two are putting forward. 24 hour news media has made us all antsy it has to happen RIGHT NOW or it will be THE END OF THE WORLD!

Just calm down. We do still have an acting government in place if necessary, but for now its best we future proof ourselves rather than rushing into a decision to give BBC News something to do.

24 hour news media has made us all antsy it has to happen RIGHT NOW or it will be THE END OF THE WORLD!

But the pound will fail, and we'll become like Greece then there will be riots and we'll all kill each other. And it will all happen by the end of the week.

But the pound will fail, and we'll become like Greece then there will be riots and we'll all kill each other. And it will all happen by the end of the week.

Of course. Its going to be Greece 2, and we all know how much worse that was than the original.

Didn't the markets open to surprising growth yesterday due to the Greece deal?

Why isn't Brian Blessed considered for Labour party leader? He's just what we need. Can make light of a serious situation, and much like how the Presidential system works in America, we all know the Prime Minister is next to fucking useless but to connect with the public, which is why it's about time. So I say Brian Blessed all the way please, I'd love to hear a 10 minute speech by him repeated 4 times an hour on the news rather than that beating around the bush for 9 minutes and summary in the final minute that was Gordon's resignation.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!