NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

What the f...Please tell me deleting digital games don't delete the save data? I have deleted Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion to make room for Fire Emblem....

What the f...Please tell me deleting digital games don't delete the save data? I have deleted Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion to make room for Fire Emblem....

It does unfortunately. You should back up your games on a PC before deleting them from your SD Card.

That sucks, I hadn't beaten the final boss in Paper Mario as he handed me my ass the first time I tried. Unfortunatly I don't think I will bother to go through the game again, as fun as it was. And I was planning to get back to Luigi's Mansion and get all the boos and gems at some point. Doubt I will now :(

Thanks anyway, I'll be sure to do that when getting Animal Crossing and probably have to delete FE.

That sucks, I hadn't beaten the final boss in Paper Mario as he handed me my ass the first time I tried. Unfortunatly I don't think I will bother to go through the game again, as fun as it was. And I was planning to get back to Luigi's Mansion and get all the boos and gems at some point. Doubt I will now :(

Thanks anyway, I'll be sure to do that when getting Animal Crossing and probably have to delete FE.

SD cards are dirt cheap dude. No reason to be deleting games on a constant basis.

The final boss was an absolute disgrace that I felt absolutely no joy in fighting :hmm: the rest of the game was decent but, like you, I don't imagine I'll have the desire to play through it again.

As for the save files being deleted for digital games, that seems a bit annoying as it would certainly make sense to have these seperate..

This is why I still prefer to buy retail titles for the games that I really want/care about my progress on, fair enough... when Nintendo are giving away free games like for instance their recent promotion of course I'll take them up on it but otherwise I still much prefer physical media, especially when the price difference between the two really isn't that much.

I'm more than happy to download titles which don't get a retail release though such as Virtual Console games, as who wouldn't want to pay a mere few pounds to experience many all time classic titles? ;)

Hmm it is an interesting one.

Up until about 6 months ago I would have totally agreed with you @S\.C\.G but now I am all for download titles.

I absolutely love having full games on my console so I can just play them whenever without having to cart around all my cartridges.

I have to admit, there are some games I won't buy as a download, like Paper Mario - as it's not something you can really go back to. But games like Mario Kart, Mario Land, NSMB, Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis etc - I got them all digital. Well AC is pencilled in with it not bein out yet!

But yeah I think I'm slowly moving into the digital times :D and quite enjoying it. There will always be some I buy as a physical copy (special editions, one play games etc) but to have the choice is nice.

I just wish the downloads were a bit cheaper :-/

Yeah I spotted that Ike! Their prices aren't too bad actually when you buy online but their shop prices are the same a the eShop which sucks!

3DS XL finally arrived ...

Comfortable, light and no yellow tint on the nice big screens - LOVE IT!

Obligatory photo :-

946629_10151361425306432_2096336738_n.jpg

247085_10151361425256432_458076859_n.jpg

Transfer was nice and simple, took around 30 minutes. SD transfer didn't work on the first attempt but worked fine on the second, phew!

3DS XL finally arrived ...

Comfortable, light and no yellow tint on the nice big screens - LOVE IT!

Obligatory photo :-

946629_10151361425306432_2096336738_n.jpg

247085_10151361425256432_458076859_n.jpg

Transfer was nice and simple, took around 30 minutes. SD transfer didn't work on the first attempt but worked fine on the second, phew!

Looks like a nice bright white screen!

Congrats looks good!!

SD cards are dirt cheap dude. No reason to be deleting games on a constant basis.

No reason to make a system that deletes saves with the game without warning, in this day and age.

The Vita does the same thing for some reason. Apparently tying saves to the game files is the future of handheld gaming.

The Vita does the same thing for some reason. Apparently tying saves to the game files is the future of handheld gaming.

Probably for security purposes. Hacking save files was a common way of breaking the Wii's security in the early days of Wii homebrew so Nintendo are probably paranoid about it happening again.

It does warn you.

Then I apologise and retract my previous statement! I'd assumed it didn't warn Tales.

Still seems like a very peculiar thing to do, though I take the argument of save hacking; it seems completely backwards to me. Digital download being done wrong. Almost there, but not quite.

Then I apologise and retract my previous statement! I'd assumed it didn't warn Tales.

Still seems like a very peculiar thing to do, though I take the argument of save hacking; it seems completely backwards to me. Digital download being done wrong. Almost there, but not quite.

I don't know if I got warned with PM and LM. I only noticed the warning a few days ago when I was about delete some of the GBA games I was never going to play anyway.

Even if I did get warned, why would I even notice it? It sounds so illogical to delete saves along with the game. I probably just clicked yes on everything, obviously never thinking it would delete my saves as well.

If you think about it, when you have a physical 3DS game, it saves onto the game card. A digital download is basically a virtual cart - they don't make one version of the game file for physical and a different for download, so it's quite logical that the save file and the game itself are linked and deleting the game deletes its save file too. It's not the way it works on consoles which work on CD, but (Nintendo) handhelds have always used carts, and I don't see that changing.

If you think about it, when you have a physical 3DS game, it saves onto the game card. A digital download is basically a virtual cart - they don't make one version of the game file for physical and a different for download, so it's quite logical that the save file and the game itself are linked and deleting the game deletes its save file too. It's not the way it works on consoles which work on CD, but (Nintendo) handhelds have always used carts, and I don't see that changing.

The one difference is exactly the issue at hand though; the storage aspect. Digital downloads take up storage space, carts don't per se as they are their own storage space. You need to account for that in allowing seperate saves - a primitive 'back up your SD card somewhere else' solution is outdated for the medium imo. Should be integrated/accounted for in the device.

Is this the same newspaper that claimed the 3DS will cause blindness to small children?

The 3DS still has a long way to go before it can be called the 'best console.. EVER' :indeed:

As far as handheld consoles go, it's certainly up there and will hopefully provide the games over the next couple of years to take it past the DS :smile:

Is this the same newspaper that claimed the 3DS will cause blindness to small children?

Now the 3DS is successful they will do the typical media thing of forgetting their past negativity