N-Europe

Google Street View extended to cover most of the UK

Shorty

Google Street view is now cover most of our roads. Everywhere I have looked for so far I have found, even small villages. My Dad told me about a year ago that he saw the Google camera van go by, and sure enough, he's on it just outside his house :heh:

http://maps.google.com - make a search then zoom fully into a street or drag and drop the orange man

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/7420628/Google-Street-Views-new-images.html - News article

Can you find your house now? Your old school, your car, your old home, friend's house, maybe even yourself...

But what about the negative implications. Has Big Brother arrived?

Personally I love Street View, well built and easy to use, makes it so easy to find somewhere before you set off on a journey.

Edited by Shorty

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The snap(s) around my house are all different. Looking at my house there is a lorry on the corner. Looking from my house up, the lorry isn't there.

The addresses i type in are not 100% accurate, teething problems i be guessing.

Also, I can now test the Google Street View in the Google Navigation on my phone.

Edit: Had a quick test. It works pretty damn well. Now other Hero users just need to wait for the official 2.1 update and for Google to officially release Google Maps Navigation in the UK.

Edited by Cube

I recall a topic debating this before whether it was a good idea or not taking pictures of peoples houses. If I remember correctly at the time I was against the idea, but I've got to admit I've used street view loads to find out where places are, like venues and what not. And seeing my house on there, does seem rather cool (thankfully they've not caught me streaking).

From one view there's the Swift:

swift.jpg

Then if you move across it magically transforms into a fiesta:

fiesta.jpg

Also do you think this is a person or just the light reflecting off of the settee?

person.jpg

My old fiesta and Strider's Rover 200 (red) parked outside school.

25821_10150139625735157_600815156_11525221_3817033_n.jpg

celebrity-pictures-mel-gibson-scotland-google.jpg

My house is obscured by foliage, and you can't get closer cause they didn't bother to go within the enchanted cove my house resides in (we're often left off normal maps anyway...despite being on a main road...in the city). Feels like Dido's house in the Thank You video.

Something random I've noticed so far:

The images for Junctions/turnings/etc were taken on different days to the actual street images.

I've already touched upon that.

From one view there's the Swift:
swift.jpg

Then if you move across it magically transforms into a fiesta:

fiesta.jpg

Wow my tiny little hamlet in the middle of nowhere is on this thing! Annoyingly, the picture is pre my car :(

My Dad is NOT fucking happy (ZOMG BURGLARS CAN SEE OUR HOUSE!!!(err dad, a map + EYES are practically the same thing...)) but then took over my computer for half an hour having a look at friend's houses... rather hypocritically.

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

My house is on there. Strangely though the picture of my house was taken on a day when we had some logs delivered, yet the picture where I park my car was obviously a different day seeing as it's not there (the logs were only on the front lawn for a day and was at home the whole time)...