NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I prefer regular button pressing. I was happy Red Steel 2 was as short as it was.

Agh, I got home at twenty past five and missed this bit! Can't find any pictures anywhere yet either. :(

I think the controls failed, simply. They were blaming it on wireless interference, but I dunno.....

Looking at the Epic Mickey stuff, it's having the same pointer and judder issues with the control so it is wireless interference

Looking at the Epic Mickey stuff, it's having the same pointer and judder issues with the control so it is wireless interference

Yeah it's all the journalists twittering about the game.

They're talking about this on e3.nintendo.com now.

Hasn't loaded all day for me. :-( says come back at 9am

Hasn't loaded all day for me. :-( says come back at 9am

Keep refreshing, it was doing the same with me.

Hm, a lot of people missed it and can't find anything so I'll summarise what I saw

• The graphics look somewhere between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (with a lean more towards the latter) with a grown up link.
  • A lot of Wii motion plus controls for pointing most weapons in an over-the-shoulder style
  • Looked like 1:1 sword movement although perhaps there were only 8 or so angles for sword swings.
  • Hold "A" to sprint, shake to roll. "A" still does a jump attack when you're in a fight.
  • "Z" to lock on (I think?)
  • Cut deku babas using sword slashes in the right direction (same angle as their mouths, which could be vert or horizontal)
  • Drop or bowl bombs using wiimote
  • Items in a "pocket" accessed by holding "B" and moving the cursor to point at a radial menu.
  • Some kind of whip or beetle item, I stopped watching at that point.
  • Point sword at the sky to charge it up, then slash to shoot "sword beams" (a bit like original NES game)
  • Nunchuck is your shield, hold it like an actual shield. Shake to equip, same for sword.
  • Deflect deku seeds by shoving shield forward quickly.
  • Arrows and slingshot aimed with movements, not by pointing at the screen. A to fire slingshot, hold C to ready an arrow and release to fire.
  • Miyamoto struggled to control it, blamed on wireless interference probably because of all the journalists tweeting/blogging - promises it will be fine when they have a go at the demos.

Edited by Shorty

Right just checked out the Iwata asks that came on after their conference, it looks....promising.

Art style is growing on me but was a little disappointed a first. It's not realistic looking, it's not WW-esque CC, it's somewhere in between. Aunuma or however you spell it said in the interview after they are making the game simpler to add depth, i quite like that philosophy behind it. Give us a great world and story with solid gameplay and it'll be a winner. They both even said TP was too big, in the sense that the world was empty.

What I really want is a Zelda game that is sold on things like "expansive/immersive new world" and "encaptivating storyline" rather than the controls or the graphics. Ocarina of Time really wowed us with the sheer level of detail and the (then) overwhelming size of Hyrule field. Coupled with a great story and really inventive levels. We weren't that bothered about style or control then and we were easily won.

I'll repeat what I was saying in the chat. I think Zelda looked a little bit disappointing because of the way they showed it. If they had shown a more epic trailer with new music perhaps that focused on epic moments and bits of the story, I think people would have been much more excited by it, even with the demo being the way it was.

When its combined with the usual Zelda elements, I think this will be much more impressive.

Zelda was the least impressive, but because they fucked it up. The game will undoubtedly be amazing. And bizarrely, I'm sure there was a lot of natter about a waterclour, cel shaded look...well it has it. I'm sure the game will be beautiful too. Anyone notice the sky dive at the end? When we learn more about the story and environments etc I'm sure we'll get more and more excited

Hm, a lot of people missed it and can't find anything so I'll summarise what I saw

• The graphics look somewhere between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (with a lean more towards the latter) with a grown up link.
  • A lot of Wii motion plus controls for pointing most weapons in an over-the-shoulder style
  • Looked like 1:1 sword movement although perhaps there were only 8 or so angles for sword swings.
  • Hold "A" to sprint, shake to roll. "A" still does a jump attack when you're in a fight.
  • "Z" to lock on (I think?)
  • Cut deku babas using sword slashes in the right direction (same angle as their mouths, which could be vert or horizontal)
  • Drop or bowl bombs using wiimote
  • Items in a "pocket" accessed by holding "B" and moving the cursor to point at a radial menu.
  • Some kind of whip or beetle item, I stopped watching at that point.
  • Point sword at the sky to charge it up, then slash to shoot "sword beams" (a bit like original NES game)
  • Nunchuck is your shield, hold it like an actual shield. Shake to equip, same for sword.
  • Deflect deku seeds by shoving shield forward quickly.
  • Arrows and slingshot aimed with movements, not by pointing at the screen. A to fire slingshot, hold C to ready an arrow and release to fire.
  • Miyamoto struggled to control it, blamed on wireless interference probably because of all the journalists tweeting/blogging - promises it will be fine when they have a go at the demos.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14099

.... :p

My summary was for the sake of the two dozen or so people reading this thread at the time.

Well they should read the site, it would be rude of them not to :heh:

Based on the tiny, what appeared to be custom made demo area that was shown it looks promising. The graphical style looks great and I doubt they'd let out into the world without an impeccable controls system to carry it on. We've basically seen nothing yet but I'm already salivating with anticipation.

Instant hands-on are very positive in terms of the controls, but it was expected.

It wasn't pleasant to watch it mess up on-stage, but the thing is, we already know MotionPlus is firmly established in titles like Resort.

If Kinect had had similar issues... now that would have been worrying.

I'm wondering if I should do the ShadowV7 thing and not watch anything about it.,...

4.jpg

:D

Vegetation doesn't look great, looked better in Wind Waker didn't it? I hope they work on the graphics, but I'm sure things will progress between now and early 2011.

I'm wondering if I should do the ShadowV7 thing and not watch anything about it.,...

The game will be a lot different when it gets released. You'll be OK for now.

You should watch the trailer or so. I epicly failed what with them showing it straight away.

But i'm not looking at anymore till release. I'm not a teribbly big fan of the sub title yet. And thanks to the tech issues I didn't get blown away :red: