NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

That's the stuff alright.

Really digging the graphical style. Very colourful! The gameplay seems like great fun too.

And kudos for Nintendo to put up a playable demo. Very brave! I like the more strategic element that has been put into the fighting, like the way enemies are defending. Good job!

Bit worried about the abbreviation of the same, though. Zelda: SS? Is Link going Gestapo on us? :p

Edited by Strange Cookie

Great news that they're going orchestral with the soundtrack!! I wonder if Yokota will be involved now that Galaxy 2 is out the way?

Hasn't it been orchestral for the past few games? I assume you're not a fan of Kondo's work if you want Yokota.

What I want to know is what they've done with the white leggings. These khaki trousers are most ugly.

Hasn't it been orchestral for the past few games?

No, this will be the first Zelda game to be orchestrated. The others were all made with computerised music.

Hasn't it been orchestral for the past few games?

No, this will be the first time in the series that they're recording a real orchestra (minus the TP trailers which don't count ;)). The style of the music has been loosely orchestral since at least Ocarina, but rendered in midi. Miyamoto made the comment in the round-table that after Galaxy 1+2, they have to give Skyward Sword the deluxe treatment. :)

I assume you're not a fan of Kondo's work if you want Yokota.

I'd love nothing more than for Kondo to take the reins again. In TP he basically had a supervisory role; Toru Minegishi composed nearly all the main themes and Asuka Ohta some of the more incidental ones. The funny thing is, Nintendo now have a small team of composers who are all trained in the 'house style' and people always credit Kondo as the composer regardless. NSMBWii is another example where he took a back seat on composing duties. Let's hope he provides at least a few key pieces like he did for the Galaxy games!

Yokota I only mention because he's one of the go-to guys for orchestration and arrangement. Michiru Oshima is another possibility, after her brief contribution to TP (trailer and 'demo' music).

Either way, I'm looking forward to it :)

Edited by Lens of Truth

Orchestrated music, in ZELDA.........

ToT so Happy ToT

I'm still laughing at zeldainformer.com

the more i hear about this game the more i want it ARRG!! i want to see some more:P

i want to see link fly and what they have done with that, i saw link jump into the clouds,

i think he did not want to save the world anylonger and just killed himself hahah lol kidding

no i want to see how link will fly in the game,

when i looked at the the game it almost looked like a zelda anime movie awesome how his hat moves with the wind, i liked it,

i also noticed something else in a gameplay video, link can now also run faster i liked that,

i hope epona is still in the game :D

The graphical style has grown on me - I don't usually tend to fuss about graphics but I guess my love for Majora's Mask means that I was kinda hoping for an epicly dark Zelda. But bright and cheerful will have to do, lol!

Obviously the gameplay demo wasn't a good first impression but all the other reports say it's awesome and naturally I'm inclined to believe them. I struggle to think of a first-party game from Nintendo that suffers from bad controls.

Personally, I'd rather have been informed about story and what it is they plan to do with regards to changing the overall format. The trailer certainly doesn't give the impression that they intend to change anything aside from the controls. Still, it's early days, I just hope we're in for a new experience, and not another attempt at brown-nosing OoT.

After experiencing Dark Void (mediocre game, but one of the best music experiences in gaming), the kind of music transitions they used in midi should definitely be possible with orchestrated music.

So it's confirmed that the music is going to be Orchestrated?

I couldn't understand it at the live blogging, especially on IGN.

Well, the demo, seeing it live, didn't impress me, like I said a few pages ago.

Reading about it and seeing the screenshots confirms that it's going to be a great game, though, as should any Zelda game be. Zelda is as much great as water is wet. You just can't argue with facts. Whenever it is said that a certain Zelda game is weak or poor, it must be taken in consideration that that is being said relatively to other Zelda games, and not games in general. TP was/is a weaker Zelda game than its predecessors, but still a great game.

SS (hehe) has a great artstyle, I like it. Some of the screenshots are very beautiful, it's a great cross between TP and WW. It suits the Wii well. In the future, I'd like to see/play a Zelda with Assassin's Creed graphics, but on the Wii this style will do just fine. One thing they can do on the Wii, and they haven't done it yet, is refine the animations. Link moves like a robot in TP and I see the same problem in SS. They should work on this and make him more fluid, make his upper body move more when he runs, not just his fuckin legs. I think OoT Link looked less robotic than TP/SS Link, at least in OoT he moved his shoulders while running!

I see people saying they'd rather hear/talk more about the game world and game structure than its looks. Well, me too, but the thing is looks and controls is everything we've got to talk about now, so... not much we can do about it.

But however great Zelda is, it would benefit from some sort of evolution to the structure and gameplay. Like the Mario series evolved greatly with the Galaxy games, Zelda needs a move like this, something that keeps it fresh for the new millenium.

Edited by ...

Great post, particularly agree about Links's movement needing refinement. OOT/MM Link looked much better in motion.

Also this is very true:

Whenever it is said that a certain Zelda game is weak or poor, it must be taken in consideration that that is being said relatively to other Zelda games, and not games in general. TP was/is a weaker Zelda game than its predecessors, but still a great game.

Before anyone claims that Legend of Zelda: SS has been foretold...

zelda-dungeon3.gif?w=500&h=413

No, this is not a swastika, but a 'omote' manji, symbolizing love and mercy. A swastika's legs go the other direction... and are drenched in the purest of evil. ;)

A swastika's legs go the other direction... and are drenched in the purest of evil. ;)

Not really, only in the nazi connotation. The swastika is actually thousands of years old and a hindu and buddhist symbol.

Too me, every Zelda game is better then the one before it. Which is why I class TP higher then the rest of the Zelda games, now lets see this beauty beat it :D

Too me, every Zelda game is better then the one before it. Which is why I class TP higher then the rest of the Zelda games, now lets see this beauty beat it :D

Why, it's almost like you just always love the newest game in a series. Newer is better after all.

But we know better than to think something like that.:heh:

This look amazing and most importantly fun. So glad they decided to put bold color back into the game as TP looked a little bland

I like how you have to swipe the scorpions claws at the right angle or it gets blocked. Things like this will add some much needed difficulty and strategy to the combat

Why, it's almost like you just always love the newest game in a series. Newer is better after all.

But we know better than to think something like that.:heh:

Don't know why, there it just feels like every time a new Zelda game is out I feel like it's growing in terms of gameplay and interaction. I try to keep calm when a Zelda game comes out, it's hard, but I really love the style of this new Zelda, a mixture of both worlds of WW and TP, it's a win win for both sides of people who like one or the other. So yeah from what I see I like it. (Also the tidbits of the story that has been told so far)

Don't know if we need spoilers now or not :heh:

Just imagine how confident they were of motion gameplay, to the point they brought the game in an unfinished state and brought Myiamoto to demonstrate it. The interference problems were probably more of let down to them then to all of us.

Thank god that iPhone4 fiasco that happened before this, otherwise I can't imagine the torrent of cynicism that would come from the press.

Well I've not heard of similar technical errors on the floor so that must have negated any potential bad press.

Link is wearing baggy pants like the outfits people used to where when they flew planes.

SkywardSword02.png

1-amelia-earhart-l.jpg

I'm sure the plane flying gameplay will come out the next time they realease major info about the game.