NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I found the world of Skyward Sword a bit wishy washy to be honest. As catchy as the Pumpkin duet music is, it's just far too upbeat and flowery. I miss old Zelda games' darker, more medieval tone like in the original LOZ and Zelda II, but even so far as OOT and MM. The series has just gotten way too whimsical in my opinion.

Quite. Whimsical worked really well, once, with Wind Waker, but only because they were going full-on to make it look like a cartoon. None of the other, lighter Zeldas have the same conviction.

Generally I feel they need to take a good, hard look at why Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are so adored, as well as aspects of Twilight Princess. We need to get back to that feel of mysterious lands, weird characters and flickering torchlight.

Completely agree. It works in Wind Waker because they throw themselves at it. Skyward Sword felt like a game where they tried to please everyone, when they need to realise the two riskier games Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are two of the most loved recent games.

More of this

Moa.png

250px-Thunderbird.jpg

Less of this

2263646-plastic_bag.png

Fun_Fun_Island.jpg

I'm not saying it has to be dark and gritty but a little less pastel colours, silly characters and places called Fun Fun Island.

Edited by Ronnie

While I totes agree that each Zelda should stick with the direction they're given, I highly disagree with the idea that they shouldn't be whimsical at all. Whimsical works for Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, the Oracles, Skyward Sword and others (even Link's Awakening!). Not all of them need to be TP or MM to be good, they just need to stick with the direction they have (Even SS had a direction).

Anyway, here's a track that I find underrated (as it never seems to come up when talking about SS):

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

They do work for those games, I just personally don't like that style very much for Zelda, apart from Wind Waker which dove straight into the cartoon vibe. Skyward Sword tried to have it's feet in both camps and it ended up being pretty forgettable to a lot of people.

The original few Zelda games were far more serious than these days. Now we have things like clowns, trains, robots, Tingle etc. I dunno, I just wish they would reboot and go back to the vibe of the NES and SNES games, for at least one game.

I replayed Zelda II quite recently, one of my favourite games of all time. You really felt like you were on an epic journey, moving from one area to the next without any backtracking (well unless you game over). Nowadays the "exploration" tends to be based around a conveniently centred hub world, Hyrule Field, with branching paths to the various themed locations. The sky/overworld in SS was the worst offender of all, it was an utter joke. I really hope Zelda U brings the series back to its roots.

Anyway, here's a track that I find underrated (as it never seems to come up when talking about SS):

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

That is a great track, very relaxing.