NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

It miles better than trying to find it in a scattered empty world with water. But I still agree, but as long as Nintendo keep improving. You never know we might get the triforce shards in dedicated temples soon! That's never been done befo...oh wait.
At least it's location and state make sense in Wind Waker though (and I don't really remember having a problem with the hunt for it).

But yeah, it deserves grand temples and each piece to be floating above a pedestal.

Why didn't they just do it like the sacred sanctuaries they had earlier in the game? :indeed:

Exactly, their locations in the Wind Waker made sense and I was one of the few who found it a lot of fun going treasure hunting for them one by one.

Skyward Sword triforce collecting was fairly rubbish and anticlimactic though. I kind of get they were MAYBE going for a silent realm-esq 'room inside your mind' type thing, which sort of makes it ok-ish I suppose

...but still. :D

Agree with most of what's been said, including the lack of a true Triforce jingle and Twilight Princess as the polar opposite. TP works because it's such a unified score. The suite really brings that out, without the need for significant alterations to the arrangements, which is remarkable and I think indicates that they may have been considering orchestra (there are vestigial elements remaining in the demo music and I seem to remember some comments to that effect from Koji Kondo during development).

Skyward Sword is lacking that unity and strong Zelda character, but it's a first tentative step towards adopting a broader orchestral palette. Generally Zelda overworld themes involve a simple chugging bass rhythm with fanfare like melodies over the top, but for the flight theme they really tried for something more fluid. Another factor in its lack of a distinct identity might be too many cooks spoiling the broth. I know Zelda scores have been increasingly team efforts from Wind Waker on, but the sheer volume of music in SS may have spread things a little thinly. Also only one track by Koji Kondo, probably added late into production as no thematic material recurs from it during the game (one of so many missed opportunities). I'm still hoping we get a proper soundtrack release of this one day!

If I had to pick one favourite it would probably be Wind Waker as well! The whole soundtrack is thoroughly entertaining from beginning to end as a straight listening experience - something that can't quite be said of TP. :)

Wind Waker was just lovely. Even putting aside the fantastic tracks from various islands and boss battles, I loved the way they carried on the tradition of weaving music into the storyline. For instance the Medli/Makar moments (with the ghosts of their respective sages). It was just put together so beautifully. How anyone can get bored playing this masterpiece of a game is beyond me.

I suppose Skyward Sword sort of had similar moments, but they were just poorly executed/rushed/or totally forgettable by comparison.

I thought that was hilarious myself. The most powerful object in all of the Zelda universe and it's just lying around in a non descript chest, in a typical room. No fanfare, just "oh here, have a Triforce. No big deal" :laughing:

I agree that finding the Triforce was a complete fail, I mean seriously Nintendo, WTF! No really WTF, why is the Triforce all small and in some randon chests, someplace random? What were you thinking!?

But that aside... BEST ZELDA EVER!

(apart from Ocarina of Time) :p

Erm...are ye talking about a different game?

Cause in Skyward Sword the Triforce parts aren't inside chests?

I agree that it could have done with a better music fanfare than a normal item gets though.

Also I actually like that last Triforce dungeon, it a good puzzle....just I suck at "moving tile" puzzles so much..... if I was better at working that part out I'd prolly be able to do it in 10 mins :heh:

And it by FAR better than the triforce hunt in Wind Waker. That ruined the end of WW for me.

Everytime I tried to replay WW I couldn't bring myself to do that part and just left it....it is the only Zelda game I have not completed twice....which is a shame cause I loved the final boss and ending of it but gah....triforce hunt....gah

Thank you, Mokong, because I thought my memory was playing tricks on me. The Triforce pieces were floating in a single mystical room, right?

Also, Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I completed 100% more than one time, thanks to that Triforce quest. It basically says "'kay, you have everything, now, feel free to stop by every island in the game to see what you can do there, pick up them pieces along the way".

This is why I always go on a World Tour when the moment arrives, it's like trying to tie up every sidequest/loose end in Majora's Mask before the moon falls, except there's no time limit, and the scope is greater.

Thank you, Mokong, because I thought my memory was playing tricks on me. The Triforce pieces were floating in a single mystical room, right?

Also, Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I completed 100% more than one time, thanks to that Triforce quest. It basically says "'kay, you have everything, now, feel free to stop by every island in the game to see what you can do there, pick up them pieces along the way".

This is why I always go on a World Tour when the moment arrives, it's like trying to tie up every sidequest/loose end in Majora's Mask before the moon falls, except there's no time limit, and the scope is greater.

Yeah, in the rooms where the parts are hidden you have to find a symbol on the ground of one of the 3 goddess (Din, Faroe, Nayru), you thrust your sword into it and you end up in a Silent Realm type place but just the one room and the Triforce part is just floating in front of you. I liked that set up, meant there was a shit ton of security done by the Goddess Hylia to ensure only here "chosen hero" could get the the Triforce considering you need to have the Master Sword to get them. And that they weren't just in the rooms in a chest that anyone could have opened.

My main gripe with Wind Wakers, triforce hunt was it killed the flow of the ending of the game for me. Pace should have been picking up and building but that just brought it right down. I get what you're saying about revisiting all areas near the end of the game though. But I like to have that as an optional thing, maybe I will maybe I won't....maybe I'll go finish the game first and keep the pace and tension of the ending building...then afterwards I'll go back reload and pick up and last sides and things to do.

The triforce hunt forced that onto the player too much which (for me killed the lead up to the ending). Plus I always thought the Great Sea was too big, even when you have all the warp points open it could take ages to sail between some places. I always remember I would set Link on a straight line to where I wanted to go leave the game play itself and go out and make a cup of tea. A game shouldn't allow me do that it should be forcing me to stay and watch.

I do feel bad though I've never been able to finish it a 2nd time cause it is a lovely looking game even till this day it is still beatufil to look at and aside from the sailing and the triforce hunt it plays brilliantly too. And musically it one of my favs (cause some of teh music has a very celtic feel :D)

I'd love it if they remade it (maybe on the 3DS) made the Great Sea a bit smaller (or made the boat move faster) and did something to replace the triforce hunt or made it less of a chore somehow :heh:

Anyway back to Skyward Sword.....gonna try finish that off if I can get the son to take an afternoon nap :D

Is it just me or does Link conducting in that video look incredibly reminisant of Shigsy!!?

Wouldn't be surprised if he was the influence behind Link having a baton, and partly his WW look tbh! Shigsy putting another one of his 'hobbies' into a game (at least he seems to do it at every live presentation now if he get the chance! :p)

And it is Done!

Hero Mode complete, loved it :D

DEmise kicked my ass around a bit too... after the last Girihim fight I went back and restocked potions. Filled 4 bottles with normal potion but only had enough bugs to upgrade one potion to potion+ and as a backup made an invincibility potion in my 5th bottle :D

I got all 80 gratitude crystals, all teh goddess cubes and had 19 hearts (same as my first play) I still can't get that heart piece from Fun Fun Island... I suck so much at the mini game, it the only one I can't get :(

Anyway fought Demise, as I said got my ass kicked a bit, ended up using all my potions, nearing the end got knocked to 3 hearts used my invincibility potion and then beat him bout 10 seconds later without taking another hit :heh:

Love that ending sequence....with the exception of the slight time paradox they caused by having Link leave the Master Sword in the pedestal in the PAST....so why wasn't it found at Sealed Grounds at the start of the game?

Old Impa had the bracelet Zelda gave her younger self from the start of the game and actually having the final battle take place in the past kinda negates any need for Link to have an adventure in the "future" doesn't it?

But yeah ignoring that love the ending cinematics. Zelda crying, Groose calling it "The Legend of Groose", Impa vanishing now that her mission is over and Fi too.

Then the credits roll and getting to see what Zelda was doing at the start of the game when she went missing.

Though I thought when I first finished the game I remembered Zelda naming the "surface" Hyrule after saying she wanted to stay there? That didn't happen...I must have imagined it?

Oh and the music over the credits and ending...for whatever weaknesses the score had during the game the credits music is AWESOME.

And for those wondering if you get anything for beating Hero mode.

At the end of the credits you still get asked if you want to save the game. It creates a save just before entering the final battle and you'll have all your potions back as they were too.

And you get a Triforce on your save file :D

SV200632-1.jpg

(in case you wondering, the 2nd file is a copy of my original play that hasn't been touched since...I always make a copy of my last save so when I save the completed file I can still go back on the copy file to finish things off if needs be....and in Zelda games I always name myself "Link" on my first play and take liberties on my 2nd :D)

Gotta say, like with all games that I enjoy and love.... I'm sad it's all over again :cry:

EDIT:

Was thinking too during the credits... as it was made clear that the Ganondorf/Link/Zelda dynamic actually started with Demise, with Ganondorf being his "mortal reincarnation" like how Zelda was the reincarnation of teh Goddess Hylia.... I wonder might Nintendo revisit this in a future Zelda game.

Like having Ganondorf "reawaken" as Demise somehow like how Zelda in SS "awoke as the Goddess"... have the character then be a merge of both Ganondorf and Demise with uber power to boot. Maybe even Fi might make a return since she is inside the Master Sword....though hopefully with more character and personality. Would be interesting to see something like Fi awakening from the Sword seeing Link and commenting how odd it was that he has the same name and similar looks to her previous master :D

A story like that could even be the first Zelda game to take place after the Adventures of Link....I find it odd that the NES games are still the last ones in the time line haha

Edited by Mokong

Is there an Abridge and Condense button I can click for Mokong's posts? :D

Then the credits roll and getting to see what Zelda was doing at the start of the game when she went missing.

That was a really nice touch.

Is there an Abridge and Condense button I can click for Mokong's posts? :D

Of course not, my rambling thoughts both typed or voiced must be appreciated in there full long winded and over excited glory :awesome:

Have you not seen some of my video blogs? You guys on here get off light :heh:

I always put Jonnas as my name ("John" in older times, like in Pokémon Blue, where the option was right there). Skyward Sword was the first exception in years, though, because this is the first Zelda game ever that can actually write my real name "João". I might start using that one more often.

Anyway! Mokong's post gave me an idea... Ghirahim should come back. The next time Ganondorf turns into Ganon (or any Demise reincarnation invokes his Demon form), they should have a sword, and that sword should transform into Ghirahim at certain points during the battle.

Alternatively, turn Ghirahim into a permanent antagonist, have him appear to play a part (even if minor) in every game where Demise/Ganondorf/NewReincarnation appears, as if to symbolize/foreshadow the identity of the (real) villain.

I just think that... Ghirahim has potential to become a permanent fixture in the series. I mean, even those that disliked the game found him memorable.

Just a thought, but maybe they make Zelda too grandiose nowadays? All this talk about the Tri-Force and Master Sword... I wonder if they're giving them too much importance, and they can't live up to it? It's like when Link finally got the Master Sword in Twilight Princess... I didn't get a tingle down the spine at all. I can't help but feel these moments would mean more in a more charming game that is less focused on the series' mythology, if you know what I mean?

Just a thought, but maybe they make Zelda too grandiose nowadays? All this talk about the Tri-Force and Master Sword... I wonder if they're giving them too much importance, and they can't live up to it? It's like when Link finally got the Master Sword in Twilight Princess... I didn't get a tingle down the spine at all. I can't help but feel these moments would mean more in a more charming game that is less focused on the series' mythology, if you know what I mean?

Yeah, I get what you mean, SS and TP kind of assumed the Master Sword was grandiose by itself, when the real reason it was amazing in OoT and WW was because it was given immense in-game importance.

In Oot, the Master Sword represents the timeskip and is the trustiest blade of your adult self. In WW, the Master Sword unfreezes old Hyrule and then you work towards turning it into the blade that slays the main villain.

(Similar things could be said for the Triforce)

That said, for those who aren't familiar with the series' mythology, the only things that would seem awkward and sudden are Ganondorf's existence in TP and, well, half of WW's plot (not even Phantom Hourglass or Majora's Mask do this).

Yeah, I get what you mean, SS and TP kind of assumed the Master Sword was grandiose by itself, when the real reason it was amazing in OoT and WW was because it was given immense in-game importance.

In Oot, the Master Sword represents the timeskip and is the trustiest blade of your adult self. In WW, the Master Sword unfreezes old Hyrule and then you work towards turning it into the blade that slays the main villain.

(Similar things could be said for the Triforce)

I think that's exactly it. You can't impress people by saying something is important and from a previous game. You have to create new legends!

I love it how this thread keeps popping up amidst all the WiiU euphoria :D

This gives me ideas for reviving another certain thread which has to be back on top from time to time.

A thread about a certain boy becoming King, I believe...

This gives me ideas for reviving another certain thread which has to be back on top from time to time.

Fable 3? ;)

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King? :wink:

That's not a character from any game I recognize. I've always assumed that's Fused King himself looking out over his loyal video game subjects.

Well.... I have to confess, I've had Skyward Sword since launch day and have yet to put the disc in my Wii / WiiU.

I Can't really give a valid reason why it took me so long to play it, I'd read reviews about it, read how it is to control, but for some reason I never put the time in to start.

On Sunday 17th March 2013, I decided to start it. WOW. Why did I wait so long. Completely hooked to it. I didn't need to worry about the controls, they are perfect. I read in the other Skyward Sword thread that a few people didn't enjoy the control scheme. I don't understand how these people couldn't enjoy it. It's incredible. Controlling the beetle with the wiimote, using the nunchuck to parry with your shield. Sword swipes are really really accurate (this was my main concern).

I've sunk 13 hours in so far over the past 3 evenings, Currently in the Lanayru desert, Just found the 3rd generator.

The dungeons are immense so far, really enjoyed them. I also love bug collecting, Reminds me of animal crossing :)

basically... I'm a tard for taking so long to start this game, loved every minute so far, and when sat at work constantly itching to get home and play more.

Digging up an old thread, but after the Skyward sword music discussion in the Majora´s mask 3ds thread, I wanted to check how "terrible" the music actually was (and then post my opinion about it in the right thread).

Yes, I couldn´t remember them either, from the top of my head at least, but that doesn´t necessarily mean they´re bad. They´re simply not as catchy as I´ve found out, after skimming all 192 of them on Youtube. What they lack in catchiness, they make up for in ambience. I´m not fond of all the battle themes though. But I found some great atmospheric tracks. One surprised me actually.. That bamboo island theme is maybe my favourite after skimming them all.

follow fi

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

goddess sword

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

sealed grounds

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

faron woods

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

bamboo island

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

lanayru desert

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

lanayru desert past

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

gate of time

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

farore's silent realm

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

lanayru sand sea

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

the dragons

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Skyward Sword has some really great music, yeah, even if it's not as memorable as many of the other soundtracks in the series.

I always enjoy listening to this track, even if the minigame it was linked to wasn't too great:

(Harp Performance with Kina)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The regular music in the Lumpy Pumpkin is nice, too, but I prefer this upbeat version with the silly vocals. :)

I also really like this little tune:

(Tadtone Melody)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

...Man, I kinda want to replay Skyward Sword now... But there's so many new games to play... One day, hopefully.

I found the world of Skyward Sword a bit wishy washy to be honest. As catchy as the Pumpkin duet music is, it's just far too upbeat and flowery. I miss old Zelda games' darker, more medieval tone like in the original LOZ and Zelda II, but even so far as OOT and MM. The series has just gotten way too whimsical in my opinion.