NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

ONM - Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has told ONM to expect surprises at next year's E3 as Nintendo prepares to reveal an overhaul of the critically-acclaimed series.

When asked how different the new Zelda title will be when it arrives on Wii next year, Aonuma replied: "It is something we used to talk about with Mr Miyamoto, and he and I agree that if we are following the same structure again and again, we might not be able to give long time Zelda fans a fresh surprise."

"So we have been trying something new in terms of the structure of the Wii version of the new Zelda game this time. I am really hopeful that people will be surprised with the changes we have implemented for this Wii version."

Aonuma also confirmed that alongside full MotionPlus support, we'll be able to see more of what his team have been working on at next year's E3. "I hope that we can show you something at the E3 show next year and it is something we are hopeful will be surprising," he added.

The full, in-depth interview with Eiji Aonuma will be published in Official Nintendo Magazine issue 51, out December 18th. Issue 50, which contains the world's first Zelda: Spirit Tracks review, an exclusive Shigeru Miyamoto interview and much more, goes on sale from Friday 20th November. You can buy Official Nintendo Magazine online right here and get it delivered to your door, or even subscribe if the mood takes you. You get a copy of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games if you fancy it.

So we're guaranteed surprises from the next Zelda game on Wii but what do you think they will be? Tell us in the comments thread!

Edited by Grazza

That's the kind o' stuff I like to hear:D

A fresh surprise like the Windwaker.....I'm intrigued. I cannot imagine what the changes in terms of structure could be, They'll know what's best for me:D

I'm not going to hold my breath. Structure and story in general have never been Nintendo's strong point.

Maybe this time we'll get to fight the dungeon's mini-boss BEFORE acquiring the map and the compass :o

But honestly, the dungeon-structure of Zelda games has become awfully stale.

And they could also come up with some new motifs as well (not forest, fire, ice all the time). I'm still baffled that, up until now, they didn't make a dungeon related to sound/music.

I'm not going to hold my breath. Structure and story in general have never been Nintendo's strong point.
This. I'm certainly not holding out for the grand adventuring, seasonal, out into the wilderness, quest I'm hoping for!
Maybe this time we'll get to fight the dungeon's mini-boss BEFORE acquiring the map and the compass :o
Now that's more like it!!!

I'm a bit apprehensive about this. Changing the Zelda formula I mean, there's a reason why it's one of the biggest game franchises around, with the games consistently getting excellent reviews.

I dunno, I just hope the change isn't too drastic. I think there'll be a bit of uproar at first though, akin to what we had when Wind Waker was first shown. Then again that was just a graphic style, this sounds like something a lot more substantial.

^ but man does the franchise need it!

After following the franchise through OOT, MM, WW, TP... all effectively the same game in a different guise (well WW kinda managed to buck the trend but TP brought it right back), if we were to get another one, I honestly don't know whether I'd bother with it.

I was reading in the Why The Hate For TP? thread over on Gaf the other day that originally they wanted to put some form of Shadow of the Colossus style bosses in TP.

You would walk around Hyrule going about your business and then come across a boss. Whether or not you would be able to beat him or how easily would depend on how far you were in the game. You may be able to defeat the boss but may have a hard time as you might not have the correct items or a healthy amount of hearts.

I dunno how true all of this is but I certainly liked the idea. :D

Good to hear. I'll be happy if they change the dungeon structure enough so it isn't the 3 sacred items + 7 sacred items.

if we were to get another one, I honestly don't know whether I'd bother with it.

You would. I would. Thats the sad thing.

I'm not sure I would. Whilst I couldn't wait to buy OOT, MM, WW... I didn't buy Twilight Princess. Sure I got my Zelda fix by playing through Eddage's copy (a-thank-you), but the game never really did anything for me since after the first trailer (which was pretty damn awesome, but wasn't what we got).

I really enjoyed Twilight Princess, it was a good attempt to try and out do OoT which is still just about my favourite ahead of Majora's Mask. I think Nintendo will be introducing first-person elements for the combat, now that Motion-Plus makes realistic (to a point) swordplay possible.

Miyamoto's been speaking like they haven't even started developing the game yet whenever he's been questioned about it, so it's good to hear some reassuring words from Aonuma.

One thing:

"when it arrives on Wii next year"

Really?

Miyamoto's been speaking like they haven't even started developing the game yet whenever he's been questioned about it, so it's good to hear some reassuring words from Aonuma.

One thing:

"when it arrives on Wii next year"

Really?

I highly doubt we'll see it next year, 2011 maybe, if we're lucky but I'm not expecting it until 2012. If it comes out earlier than that's fine with me.

Miyamoto said during an Interview at E3 2009 that he wanted to release the game for 2010.

Anyway, what I'm hoping for is a Zelda game with the scale of something like Fallout 3. In terms of the size of the world, the amount of locations and side quests, the openendedness of the game, people and enemies wondering around the overworld. ect. But with Zelda elements rather than WRPG elements. I really doubt we'll get anything like that though.

I'm not getting my hopes up really, its just an idea, probably a bad choice of words in my last post.

I'm not getting my hopes up really, its just an idea, probably a bad choice of words in my last post.

nah bro i didnt even read your post. i was just saying in general. people expect too much from nintendo these days and they only get let down

*Fans want a new change after MM, we got WW*

*Fans hated the game, wanted it to go back to OOT way, also talk about how awesome MM is, we then get TP*

*Fans hate that game, now declare that WW was the best thing ever and want it like it was*

*Nintendo now say they are going to change the way it's going to be, fans groan once more*

Future: *New Zelda comes out, fans groan, they talk about how awesome TP was, and wish it was like that again*

Why do gamers complain about really awesome games?

*Fans hated the game, wanted it to go back to OOT way, also talk about how awesome MM is, we then get TP*

*Fans hate that game, now declare that WW was the best thing ever and want it like it was*

*Nintendo now say they are going to change the way it's going to be, fans groan once more*

Future: *New Zelda comes out, fans groan, they talk about how awesome TP was, and wish it was like that again*

LOL your so right about that

Spot on. I just hope Nintendo do for Zelda what they did for Mario with Galaxy.

Preach on Preacher:grin: