NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Are you asking which Zelda game comes first chronologically?

That's the one thing that most Zelda fans can agree on timeline wise. Ocarina of Time has always been considered the first game chronologically.

The first game chronologically in the series is Minish Cap.

Years later, Ocarina of Time takes place, which splits the timeline in two.

Child timeline

Link goes back to past Hyrule as a child, warns the king/Zelda about Ganondorf's plans and sets off on his adventure in Majora's Mask. The scene in Twilight Princess with the execution of Ganondorf takes place after Link returned to warn the king about him. Years pass as Ganon is banished to the Twilight Realm, meanwhile the events of Majora's Mask unfold, and a new Link is born, in time for Twilight Princess.

Adult timeline

With Link having travelled back in time, no hero is present to stop Ganon and the gods flood Hyrule, which leads into Wind Waker. After that, there's Phantom Hourglass directly after and Spirit Tracks, which takes place many years later with a new Link.

So it's:

MC > OOT (child timeline) > Majora's Mask > Twilight Princess

MC > OOT (adult timeline) > Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks

Those games are pretty much locked, in terms of chronology. The games before OOT as well as the Oracle games are a bit vague where they take place, probably due to the fact that the producers didn't pay much attention to fitting them into a timeline back then.

Edited by Ronnie

Watch the video. It very clearly explains why Minish Cap cannot come first.

Sorry how exactly does he explain where MC goes clearly? I like how he makes the assumption that the Picori sword = the Master sword. Conveniently not spending too long on that little "fact".

That point is bollocks, MC could very easily be first in the timeline.

The rest is ok. A lot of it is speculation though, the games in my post above are pretty much guaranteed. The rest is open to interpretation. Especially since back in the early days of the series, they didn't care about making the games fit a timeline.

There's nothing to suggest it goes first though. The whole hat thing makes no difference because of the fact that there are multiple Links.

If you look at the sprite of the Picori blade before its repaired, and turned into the Four Sword, it looks very suspiciously like the master sword.

Also, if you watch the Minish Cap opening, it talks about a hero using the sword and the triforce before to fight evil, and talks about how it was afterwards enshrined by the people.

The hat thing is quite a compelling argument for the reason why all future heroes/Links wore green hats though, ok it's not concrete proof but it makes sense.

The intro to MC talks about Gustaf being granted the Picori sword to fight evil, he then becomes the King of Hyrule. Not sure where you got the triforce from the MC intro. It's never even called the triforce in the entire game, just the Light force if I'm not mistaken. It really does make a lot of sense that MC is first in the timeline IMO.

The more I read those rumours, the more they sound like bollocks/stuff that anyone can guess/stuff that is unlikely to be on page 1 of Anouma's script.

The reason all future heros wore the green hat and tunic more likely has to do with the fact that OoT Link wore it, and he wore it because it was the traditional dress of the Kokiri.

There's also no evidence that Gustaf was the Hero of Men. And its very obvious that the Light Force Was the Triforce, or at least one part of it.

I think its much more likely that the intro to Minish cap talks about the story of the Hero of time, but over time, as the story was told in the newer version of the hyilian language, and passed down from one person to the next some of the names of things were changed slightly.

Edited by Emasher

I think its much more likely that the intro to Minish cap talks about the story of the Hero of time, but over time, as the story was told in the newer version of the hyilian language, and passed down from one person to the next some of the names of things were changed slightly.

What are you on about? The Hero of time didn't have the Picori "appear from the sky" and give him the Picori sword like is talked about in the Minish cap intro. And even ignoring that small detail, the hero of men is shown without a cap.

The picori/four sword is not the same as the master sword. Different origin, different power, different purpose, different era.

Thats all very debatable. Also, consider the fact that if the Minish Cap is in fact near the end of the timeline, as the stories were passed down from generation to generation, it would be very likely that some things were changed over time.

You still haven't said anything actually suggesting that the Minish Cap is at the beginning besides the idea that that's where link got his hat.

Either way, we're not getting anywhere with this (just like any Zelda Timeline debate ever).

Edited by Emasher

What's debatable? My point that the Hero of Time wasn't granted the Picori blade by the Minish? I think the events of OOT clearly show that isn't the case. So your point above that the MC intro is talking about OOT is rubbish.

And what's debatable about the fact the Picori blade isn't the Master sword? They're two different swords, forged for a different purpose. Last time I checked the master sword wasn't able to duplicate Link 4 times. Nor is it ever suggested they are the same blade in the games. You're making up hypotheses without any fact to base it on.

Of course there is no concrete proof the Minish cap is first in the timeline, but a few details suggest it likely is:

- The hero of men is hat-less, so is Link at the start of the adventure. Ezlo could easily be the reason future heroes adopted the hat as part of their outfit. At the end of the game, the game makes a big deal about Link getting a regular green cap, Ezlo saying 'it suits Link'. Read between the lines, that's the origin of it.

- Why call the triforce the Lightforce? It took place in an earlier time, maybe the name 'triforce' was only adopted later on (in all other Zelda games, further down in the timeline)

- The Hero of men, most likely King Gustaf, is different from the Hero of time, who came later, once the master sword had been forged. The fact that Ganondorf is never mentioned in the game also means it's a pretty good bet, the game is first.

Again, nothing concrete, but there's enough there to show that MC is most likely first. It fits.

And it also fits pretty well that it comes latter. Lets just leave it at this, as we've gone pretty far off topic.

What is with all these E3 rumours a day before the conference?

Either way, the conference could not come soon enough.

when is the conference of nintendo?

About 5PM...ish on Tuesday.

I definitely think those rumours are rubbish. They're either too boring to mention (hookshot=grappling hook), too predictable (bow/arrow, open-ended dungeons, drawing shapes to open doors), too pointless (the name of the girl).

Could be wrong, but anyone could have written those rumours down. Is the hookshot really the most exciting thing they can talk about this for this new Zelda? I think not.

Tomorrow afternoon can't come quick enough.

i hope this time u can buy more weapons, and tune your cloths a bit like upgrading making your outfit look cooler,

How cool will it be if they pull off a Microsoft from yesterday and say that this is shipping to stores...RIGHT NOW!!!!???

Looks Great!!

But other than the 10sec teaser and a bit of in game footage, that's all I want to see of this new Zelda until launch!!

Just hope the new controls works?!

Edited by Retro_Link

It looks like Shigsy's struggling to make it respond the way he wants. I just don't see how that's better than pressing a button :/ I must be getting old.

It looks like Shigsy's struggling to make it respond the way he wants. I just don't see how that's better than pressing a button :/ I must be getting old.
I think Shigsy's getting old! :hmm:

I think the controls failed, simply. They were blaming it on wireless interference, but I dunno.....

Looks impressive, lets see how many of the ideas make it into the game this time.