NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Have you been reading this thread? I'll get a quote since this is coming up a lot.

Screw it i'll type. There was large amounts of interferance during the demo, and could be seen from the get go and in Epic Mickey. The hands on from folk has been extremelt positive and that the controls have been working flawlessly.

Not early or ambitious at all.

Ninty can't keep everyone happy can they.

I'm fine with the graphics, just as long as it plays well, controls work fine and it has a great story with great gameplay then i don't mind what it looks like.

A bit surprised to see quite a few negative reactions about the game. Looked pretty good to me. I like the art style, Wind Waker with Adult link. But, it looks different, too. A different soul. It works for me.

The controls issue was probably made out to be worse than it actually was. Whatever the issue was, it'll be fine when we actually come to play it. As if the actual game itself would be unplayable. :heh: Whether it's down to interference or the controls simply not working, the game isn't being released tomorrow. It'll be fine.

Also, the bow controls seem pretty much like the ones taken from Wii Sports Resort. Is that right? If so, well then those ones work pretty much perfectly. So, not worried in the slightest.

There were some nice touches to the game that I absolutely loved. Particularly the way you throw/roll bombs. Very inventive. Really liked that.

So, looking forward to it. Not sure about the name. Skyward just doesn't seem to work for me, for some reason. It sounds more like something from a Kid Icarus game than the title of a Zelda. But, not too bothered by that either.

We haven't got details on story, setting, characters, etc. Why do we all want that info at once? The biggest mistake with Twilight Princess was the hype. How long was the waiting time between the game being unveiled to the day we actually played it? Too long. Plus, a bit too much information was given out before then. Let's leave it as a mystery, makes it far more exciting.

In short: It's Zelda. We'll love it.

It's a really lovely art style, I love how colourful the world looks, the colour palette is gorgeous to look at, as opposed to (in hindsight) TP, which will probably look quite dull by comparison. Darkjak, I agree, it reminds me of OoT as well.

To be honest I was a little underwhelmed at first. They built up all this hype about how there will be huge surprises and how TP was the last Zelda of it's kind… - having watched the videos, Skyward Sword (a bit of a naff name agreed) actually seems identical to TP but with motion plus controls. The Zelda formula seems pretty much the same. Which is great in a way, but I guess I was expecting more. Obviously it's way too early to judge properly, I'm sure there will be lots of surprises as we learn more, but for now from what we've seen, they seem to have played things safe. Am I the only one who felt (at first) it was a bit of anticlimax?

The presentation of the motion plus controls was a giant fail, sadly. It was a little cringeworthy at times. I'm also not quite sure I want to be doing the actions for everything. Button pressing works great, and a lot of the time, these motion controls could actually take players OUT of the gaming experience by putting another layer of difficulty to get what they want to do. Meh, we'll see. One thing I hate the sound of is tilting the controller to move an on-screen reticule. How totally imprecise is that when something as simple as pointing to the screen worked so perfectly and felt more natural in TP? Look how much trouble Miyamoto had to kill those bug things, pointing at the screen and anticipating their movement would have taken 2 seconds.

Item selection looks useful I suppose, I hope they don't dumb it down and only offer a handful of items like PH and ST. There didn't seem to be much room on that selection circle.

Making the eyeball on the door dizzy was goofy, but quite cool at the same time, hopefully lots of puzzles like that will freshen up the series.

Beetle flying thing looks good. Link looks great, and little things like the sky dive at the end of the trailer were really cool. The forest looks lovely, especially the way the trees swayed in the wind, and the big boss battle, visually, looked stunning, particularly the mood and environment.

I suspect these are all very early in the development trailers. Anyone remember the first teaser for WW, the final product looked very different and far more polished.

Very pleased, was worried they were going to fuck it up. Can't wait. And 2011 is a relief as well, glad they're not rushing to bring this out this year as was reported.

The more I watch and look at this, the more i'm loving it.

I still feel kind of weird seeing Adult link in a cel shaded world. What with the style of Zelda games reflecting the tone of the story.

It was slightly cringe worthy how wrong it was going... But now I've had time to think about it. Watch the trailer again and read reports, I'm getting really hyped about it. As long as it feels like a "world"...it's so tricky Zelda. You don't want them to ruin it, but you want them to freshen it up...

Him skydiving at the end is exciting, wonder how they'll use that.

I'm more eager to hear about the, structure and world then the style!

Me too, but there's not much to go on at the mo.

There's an Iwata Asks on the official site where Aonuma says they've concentrated on "gameplay density" this time around, and getting a solid structural foundation from the very beginning. The feeling in the Zelda team is that TP had a lot of stuff in it, but still felt a bit empty. That's what they want to address.

Artwork:

ssartwork1.jpg

ssartwork2.jpg

Lovely artwork.

And yeah good point about TP having lots of stuff in it, but still feeling totally empty.

I'm pumped for this game.

Looks good and sounds good. And hopefully, it will wash out the bitter taste left by TP.

Lovely artwork.

And yeah good point about TP having lots of stuff in it, but still feeling totally empty.

TP felt empty because the minigames and sidequests were too few and too meainingless for the large world.

It was the opposite of Majora's Mask, which feels like a far more robust Zelda in comparison because of its sheer amount of sidequest content.

Goes to show that dungeon quantity alone doesn't mean much.

1e74c910bdb93487a9b180b253cce9e4.jpg

wow at part of the world screenshot.

CgVW3.jpg

z13.gif

Really following the LOZ booklet style. :)

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Not sure if this has been posted but just to ease peoples minds

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-128-1276627419-e3-2010-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hands-on.html

Once I held the Wiimote in my hands, I could tell why Miyamoto was so flabbergasted on stage. The MotionPlus swordfighting works immaculately well. I was a big fan of Red Steel 2's implementation of Wii MotionPlus combat, but Zelda just does it so much better. Every single swing of my arm was instantly recognized by the game and translated into corresponding movements of the Master Sword. Raise the sword high above your head and Link will do the same. Jab forward quickly, and Link will follow with really no noticeable lag. This fantastic MotionPlus integration isn't just limited to the sword controls, though. Every item in the game seems to support the device brilliantly. Aiming projectile weapons is similar to Wii Sports Resort's archery game, rather than the IR implementation from Twilight Princess. Cracking a whip is as simple as a flick of the wrist. You can even bowl bombs simply by making the motion. It all comes together really well, and never felt like it was misreading my motions.

I love the art style.

FUCCKKKKKK

Now i'm immensly hyped for this. I swear something has just clicked in me now. I just got a flash of this game in my head and now I can't wait for this.

The thing with Zelda is its exceptionally hard to judge it from a few screenshots or a few videos. For me, you have to experience it. If this has a huge, vast, open-world to explore, it will feel much more epic; and feeling this epicness is more powerful than any art style can portray.

Move up and down on this page over the Link artwork. :)

New screenshot?

bildernazelda_214689box7t.jpg

From Roundtable:

Posted 6:44 PST

One day, he learns there is a land below the clouds ruled by evil forces.

Quote:

Posted 6:46 PST

However, the revelation prompts a series of events which forces him to go to the land beneath the clouds.

Quote:

The reason he goes down is in the title--it's the Skyward Sword

Quote:

The sword possesses intelligence, and will assume the semi-human form in the teaser poster shown last year.

I really, really wish the demonstration hadn't been destroyed during the conference.

Leaving all the press and hardcore games with a sour taste is such a bad way to promote the game's new control schemes.

I hope that video isn't seen by too many people honestly. I hope better demonstrations pop up soon.

Great news that they're going orchestral with the soundtrack!! I wonder if Yokota will be involved now that Galaxy 2 is out the way?