NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Is it me, or are Nintendo attempting to use a hint of cel-shading over the top of the TP engine??

Is it me, or are Nintendo attempting to use a hint of cel-shading over the top of the TP engine??

My first thought was Wind Waker more than TP. It's only when you look closely that you see shades of TP.

Yeah, that's probably why it still looks a bit like TP graphically. Looks really nice, really glad they went for Cell Shading again.

They always take the last engine and then modify it so the similarity isn't surprising.

The Link model looks identical except for the textures right down to his animation.

But then when TP was first shown, he was running around using the Wind Waker Link's animation for arms and legs.

WW was maybe on the too cutesy side and TP looked somewhat bland. This is the happy medium i was hoping for

Well after all, TP itself was a refit of the WW engine. This is a much more subtle, shaded, pastel style than both. The character models look and animate more like TP.

Exactly what I was hoping for tbh.

On the other hand, they've only shown the barest essentials and it's clearly far from finished. We've had no story details and the trailer was less than epic. I can see why some feel underwhelmed.

Quite honestly, I don't like the graphical style. Its like WW and TP had an ugly baby.

I like the style.

It's a bit stylised, and yet it's not over the top toony like Wind Waker. Feels very OoT somehow.

And to me it seems that Nintendo have tried for 1:1 controls, rather than waggle, which also makes me happy. I just hope those rumors about a higher difficulty level proves correct.

Thank god the hands on are positive; was worried about that. Nintendo should have done an incredible video instead like the other games and it would have been even more mind blowing. I presume the controls are so perfect they felt confident to wow us....oh well....

What an entrance by shigsy though!

IMO nothing could be uglier than TP!! :p

It'll never be as bad as Wind Waker.

Looks good though, I echo the sentiments of the massive WiiMote bullshit. Plus it means I'll have to get myself a Motion Plus. Damn you Nintendo, always thinking of pr0 new ways of gaming at the cost of my [hard earned] cash.

From the released screens this looks like a pastel shaded outing. Really refreshing to see and although in places it looked 'saturday morning cartoon', the adult style with the WW direction is a superb one for the franchise.

TP was Zelda's darkest direction outside of Majora's Mask and IMO the series really suits the cartoon-like approach.

I want to like this game.

I want to like the visual style, I want to believe the watercolour style is nice creative direction.

I can't though, because it's completely soulless and just looks blurry and kind of sickening. It's like they were intent on doing a different visual style that separates the game from Twilight Princess, yet all they could come up with when being limited by Wii's tech was something halfway between TP and WW.

I really hope they make some bold decisions and change the visuals up in SOME WAY before release.

I think I'd actually feel more content if it was young Link.

I think I'd actually feel more content if I played it and didn't judge it by it's graphics alone.

Fixed. ;-)

Its because it tries to be both games but its neither. Cel shading and base colours worked on WW because it made it look like a cartoon and the environment was modeled to be like one. TP looked good because it had a more traditional style that tried to push the console while retaining that Zelda feeling.

This one is just basic, looks like a ps2 platformer.

Fixed. ;-)

I'm always open minded about visuals, I still play my Wii after all!

But this arguably has a weaker visual style than TP, that's the problem. It almost feels like they may as well have used that engine.

The gameplay has always sounded exciting to me, I basically only bought wii sports resort knowing eventually I'd be playing this game.

Miyamoto's demonstration put me off a bit though. That really worked out so badly for them. I know it was technical difficulties, but what should've been making the controls look cool instead ruined the idea of them for everyone watching.

TP was flat, muddy and uninspired for me. The Snowpeak temple looked great though, as did the twilight sections, so I'm probably exaggerating. ;)

The thing this most closely resembles visually is probably Galaxy 2! No bad thing, but I can see why some think it may not be suitable for Zelda.

Bear in mind all they've shown is a very vanilla demo of an unfinished build. There are no shadows etc, so I think the graphics are still being finessed. I've still got my fingers crossed for a partly orchestral score too :)

I think Nintendo's approach is more to attract the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks audience than it is to blur Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Skyward Sword ease gamers in with an hour of birds eye view

Yeah, there's a "friendly" Wii vibe to it. It's dividing opinion already! ;)

But seriously, if they'd reused the TP engine as is there would have been a phenomenal amount of bitching.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Skyward Sword ease gamers in with an hour of birds eye view

This is what we need. A 3Dish version of A Link To The Past.

From reports its meant to look beautiful. Like a painting.

Weird how people were chatting about this very thing a few days ago!

I'm more eager to hear about the, structure and world then the style!

I think Nintendo made it pretty hard for themselves showing us live gameplay so early, especially with the ambitious control system. They could just have done a video showing us the best parts. Miyamoto has said that this time they are developing the gameplay first, then focusing on the presentation, which makes me believe it will look more detailed and polished by release.