N-Europe

General Switch Discussion

Ashley

1 hour ago, bob said:

The issue is hosting the content. If Nintendo or Sony developed somewhere people could upload pics or clips to, then you could easily link or embed them to whatever social media you wanted. It would help advertise and spread the word, like you say. 

Nintendo could link theirs to the Mii avatars, like some kind of Mii universe.

It does baffle me that Xbox allows you to upload screenshots into cloud storage, but sharing images from it is a pain and you can't access them via a browser.

Grain of salt, blah blah blah, but PapaGenos (who was on top of the Prime Remastered shadowdrop and Mario vs Donkey Kong announcement) is hinting that a Legend of Zelda game with Zelda in the lead role is on its way:

If you take the capital letters in the tweet:

Tears of the kingdom Had a great zelda design I think we are Severely overdue for a game where zelda Is the main character. Seems to me A Hyrule adventure like that Is something fans want, Nows The time.

THIS IS A HINT

So, please be excited for Hyrule Warriors: Princess Zelda ~ Showtime! ft Cooking Mama :p

Investor's Q&A is now out officially in English.  Transcript is here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2024/240508e.pdf

Some notable tidbits...

Nintendo Account was prepared before the launch of Nintendo Switch as a way to maintain long-term relationships with consumers across hardware generations, so we will continue to make active use of Nintendo Account with the successor to Nintendo Switch as well.

Nintendo Accounts to transfer forward.  Expected, but nice.

Q4 I think one big change over the lifecycle of Nintendo Switch is the remarkable growth in digital sales. Looking back at the progress of the digital business and its contribution to financial results thus far, I would like to know what expectations you have for the digital business over the lifecycle of the successor to Nintendo Switch.

A4 Furukawa: As you pointed out, the expanded scale of our digital business can be cited as one of the major changes since the release of Nintendo Switch. In the previous fiscal year, robust sales of Nintendo Switch Online memberships and add-on content for games such as Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 3, as well as the depreciation of the yen, led to increases in both the digital sales amount and the digital sales ratio. Our objective is not to simply increase the share of digital sales, but to maximize overall game software sales, including sales of physical software. This policy will remain unchanged going forward.

Switch 2 won't be dropping support for physical games, unlike what some stupid rumours were reporting before...

Regarding the supply of the successor to Nintendo Switch, we cannot give a specific answer, as we have not yet announced the timing of the launch. However, currently there is no semiconductor shortage like we saw up until 2022, so we are not anticipating the supply of semiconductor components to be a major issue when we launch the successor to Nintendo Switch.

Console supply at launch should be good.  Good.

Q6 Regarding the successor to Nintendo Switch, is there any special intention behind calling it a "successor?" Looking back at past hardware announcements, Wii U was described as a "system to succeed Wii," and Nintendo Switch as a "game platform with a brand-new concept." This time it is described as a "successor to Nintendo Switch." Is this an indication of your intent to continue with the gameplay and concept of Nintendo Switch? You said there will be an update during this fiscal year. At that time, will you talk about its launch timing and specifications?

A6 Furukawa: At this stage, we cannot say anything more about the successor to Nintendo Switch. For today's announcement, we determined that the most appropriate expression to use was "successor to Nintendo Switch." Information will be released in stages leading up to the launch, as we have done with previous new hardware announcements.

Oh look! This was a mistranslation, what a surprise :heh:

Q9 I understand that Nintendo uses "annual playing users" as an important indicator. This indicator has continued to grow since it was first disclosed, even after Nintendo Switch hardware sales have peaked. Do you expect the numbers to dip this fiscal year? Also, will annual playing users continue to be an important indicator for Nintendo even after the release of the successor to Nintendo Switch?

A9 Furukawa: The number of "annual playing users," which is an important indicator for Nintendo, recently exceeded 123 million users (for April 2023 through March 2024). This is up from the previous year and is the highest number to date. New titles like The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Super Mario Bros. Wonder posted high sales in 2023, and many people took the opportunity to play on Nintendo Switch, so the number of annual playing users also increased. I think one of the keys going forward is how well we succeed at releasing titles for consumers that can create these kinds of opportunities to play on Nintendo Switch. This fiscal year, it is more important to sustain business momentum than to further expand the Nintendo Switch business, so we intend to maintain the number of annual playing users at as high a level as possible and carry that into the future. Going forward, as we continue our integrated hardware-software dedicated video game platform business, the emphasis will be on whether the people who have purchased our hardware keep playing games over the long term. For the healthy growth of our business, we believe it is vital that people take the opportunity to play games in a variety of scenarios, like when they get together for holidays and birthdays. For this reason, the number of annual playing users, which indicates how many consumers have played our games over the last 12 months, will continue to be an important indicator.

Sounds like they realise that putting out heavy hitting software on Switch 1 is a fools errand at this point, and ensuring business continuity with a successful Switch 2 launch is more important than selling software on their existing hardware.  Makes Metroid Prime 4 even more likely to be a next gen exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm now super confused about what does and doesn't belong in the "Nintendo Switch Successor Announced" thread; is that not the de facto Switch 2/whatever thread now? ::shrug:

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Sounds like they realise that putting out heavy hitting software on Switch 1 is a fools errand at this point, and ensuring business continuity with a successful Switch 2 launch is more important than selling software on their existing hardware.  Makes Metroid Prime 4 even more likely to be a next gen exclusive.

donkey-kong-confused-smash-bros-0vgfl21v

Assigning the words "heavy-hitting" to anything Metroid related is kind of wild to me after Dread broke Metroid franchise sales records by selling 3 million units (which, while great for a bit of a series revival, is measly in the grand sum of Nintendo IP) and considering that we haven't had a meaningful update on Prime Remastered sales since it broke the 1 million units sold mark. It's still an incredibly niche franchise. 

I think the only way Prime 4 ends up a Switch 2 exclusive is if it's a technical showcase for the console which can't physically run on the OG Switch, which I don't think is impossible, because I'd say Metroid is one of the few IP Nintendo has where I do think it can be given a layer of polish to visually rival other modern AAA juggernauts. Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, etc., they all look fantastic, but they don't offer the opportunity for a visual blitzing that Metroid does: I'm thinking particle effects; I'm thinking smoke, clouds, leathery alien skin, shiny metal, boots-on-the-ground dirt-on-the-visor; and I'm thinking...more particle effects :p

Besides that argument, though - which I won't deny is, for me, the strongest one - I don't think software sales is a reason to consider making Prime 4 an exclusive game for the Switch 2. I really don't. Waving goodbye to an install base of 140+ million for a franchise as niche as Metroid is for anything other than technical reasons? I think it'd be wild to do if they genuinely have the option of bringing it to the OG Switch. I think how they handle Prime 4 will be really telling for how that potential cross-gen period might play out for the first couple of years of the Switch 2's life. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Julius said:

I'm now super confused about what does and doesn't belong in the "Nintendo Switch Successor Announced" thread; is that not the de facto Switch 2/whatever thread now? ::shrug:

I'm inclined to say when the console is actually announced we'll create a new thread so the first details of the console aren't 12 pages deep, although in practice there will be a direct announced so that'll be another thread too. 

The "announced" threat can be about speculation, rumours, hopes, dreams and fears. 

On 07/05/2024 at 11:44 AM, Dcubed said:

ND Cube usually put out one game every 1-1.5 years and the last game they worked on was Everybody 1,2,Switch as a co-development with EPD (Their last solo game being Mario Party Superstars in 2021), so I reckon they'd be due another release come November this year.  We have had late-life Mario Party releases a few times before (7, Advance, 9 and Top 100 all spring to mind immediately) and it's basically a guaranteed 7+ million seller by this point.  So I reckon it'd fit the bill nicely.

Seeing as SmileBoom helped with other Mario Party games, it looks like a new one is a lock at this point.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Seeing as SmileBoom helped with other Mario Party games, it looks like a new one is a lock at this point.

Hopefully, they fix their horrendous mistake and make Boo playable again.

tumblr_ojfcnpg4K61rrftcdo1_400.gif

It's endlessly funny!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I don't think I've played a Mario Party game since the N64. Just one of those series thats so tied to that console, era and most importantly controller for me.

They've been some decent ones since but none have been able to recreate the magic of the original trilogy.

Like you, it's a series I remember most fondly because of the controller, how new and fresh it was in that era and the multiplayer sessions I was able to have on it with my friends.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

6 is the best one, and that's that.

Spoiler
  1. Mario Party 6
  2. Mario Party 3
  3. Mario Party 7
  4. Mario Party Superstars
  5. Super Mario Party
  6. Mario Party DS
  7. Mario Party 10
  8. Mario Party 2
  9. Mario Party 5
  10. Mario Party-e
  11. Mario Party Star Rush
  12. Mario Party
  13. Mario Party 9
  14. Mario Party Island Tour
  15. Mario Party The Top 100
  16. Mario Party 8
  17. Mario Party 4
  18. Sitting around, doing literally nothing
  19. Mario Party Advance

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Nintendo have acquired Shiver Entertainment from Embracer, who have worked on ports for Mortal Kombat 11, Scribblenauts, Hogwarts Legacy and Mortal Kombat 1 on Switch. 

Per Nintendo of Japan

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Kyoto, Japan, President and Representative Director: Shuntaro Furukawa; hereinafter "Nintendo") hereby announces that it has entered into an agreement with Embracer Group AB (HQ: Karlstad, Sweden, CEO: Lars Wingefors)to acquire 100% of the outstanding shares of Shiver Entertainment, Inc. (HQ: Miami, Florida, U.S; CEO: John Schappert; hereinafter "Shiver") and to make it a wholly owned subsidiary (the "Acquisition").

Shiver is a video game development company that develops software for multiple platforms including Nintendo Switch. Since its establishment in 2012, Shiver has partnered with publishers and developers through commissions for large scale title developments, and recently, has worked on porting and developing software titles such as Hogwarts Legacy and Mortal Kombat 1. Nintendo will acquire 100% of the outstanding shares of Shiver and make it a wholly owned subsidiary. By welcoming Shiver's experienced and accomplished development team, Nintendo aims to secure high-level resources for porting and developing software titles. Going forward, even after it becomes a part of the Nintendo group, Shiver's focus will remain the same, continuing commissions that port and develop software for multiple platforms including Nintendo Switch.

Time to start getting some ports ready for that Switch 2 launch window!

Seems like a very smart move given that they've worked together before and with the technological gap between Switch 2 and PS5/Series X|S potentially being smaller than that of their respective predecessors, I can imagine that - I mean, assuming they run well - there'll be more demand for ports from the get-go with their next console. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Very interesting... Really quite unusual for Nintendo to outright buy an external developer (and a western one at that), and it sounds like they're going to be placed purely on 3rd party game porting duties.

Makes it all the more baffling that they let Tantalus get snapped up by Keywords back in 2019 instead of pouncing on them when they had the chance.

Edit:  Ahh… Just saw someone else point out an interesting connection that might help partly explain this acquisition…

Shiver’s founder (John Schappert) was previously COO of EA and worked directly alongside Doug Bowser while he was also at EA.  So there’s a bit of personnel networking going on here too... Wouldn’t be too surprised if Schappert starts rising up the ranks of NOA after this acquisition then.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Edit:  Ahh… Just saw someone else point out an interesting connection that might help partly explain this acquisition…

Shiver’s founder (John Schappert) was previously COO of EA and worked directly alongside Doug Bowser while he was also at EA.  So there’s a bit of personnel networking going on here too... Wouldn’t be too surprised if Schappert starts rising up the ranks of NOA after this acquisition then.

Nintendo giving jobs to the boys doesn't sit right with me. I'd almost rather they scooped Shiver up just because it reminded them of Splatoon 3. Will more of Doug Bowser's chums set up Frye and Big Man studios so he can splash some cash on them...?

Those games @Juliusmentioned are all I'm seeing. Has Shiver been involved with any other Switch ports? From a gamer's point of view, it bodes well that Nintendo is taking steps to secure third-party ports as they're something that've made the Switch, for me. It'll be interesting to see what this opens the door to. Especially as Mortal Kombat and Hogwarts Legacy are more on the ambitious side of things for the humble Switch.

I'm sure the acquisition will pay for itself once the royalties come rolling in. Could be a baby step towards Nintendo diverting all third-party support their way... total world domination.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Nintendo Switch has officially surpassed same of the Nintendo DS in Japan (32,903,889 vs 32,878,490), making it the best-selling gaming system OF ALL-TIME in Japan! 

Who would've thunk that this was where things were heading some 7 years ago? 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder if the Direct will arrive this week? The SGF and Xbox shows done nothing for me and so I'm hoping Nintendo are able to deliver something half decent.

You can almost count on it, calling it now...

Nintendo Direct Tuesday, 11th June, 2024 at 17:00 UK time.

Look out for the usual roundup article, shortly after the presentation has aired. ;)

On 09/06/2024 at 9:42 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder if the Direct will arrive this week? The SGF and Xbox shows done nothing for me and so I'm hoping Nintendo are able to deliver something half decent.

Probably.  Nintendo usually host their E3 Directs in the second week of June, and they’ve already announced that the next ND is coming this month, so I’d bet on either this Wednesday or Thursday.

On 6/9/2024 at 9:42 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

It could do, but it's a bit hard to predict at the moment based on how things have been since 2020 onwards, I think. We haven't had a Nintendo Direct arrive in the first half of June since E3 2021 (15th, time and date announced close to a full 2 weeks ahead of time for the last time), and since dropping the "E3" mention in the title of their June Directs, 2022's June Directs for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (22nd) and their Direct Mini (28th) and last year's June Direct proper (21st) all took place in the latter half of the month, a full week and a half after the Not-E3 festivities had kicked in. Obviously, granted, one of those is a game-focused Direct paired with a Direct Mini a week later, but based on the small sample size of the last two Not-E3s, this week isn't the one where I'd put money on a Direct being announced and aired, as they've kicked their Not-E3 off in the third full week of June the last two years running. 

Not that it can't happen this week - I'd love it to, the sooner we get a Direct the better in my eyes - but I don't see any real reason Nintendo might have to be seen mixing in the week of Not-E3 vs last year or 2022 -- especially with wanting to perhaps lower expectations going into the last June Direct for the Switch, what with the Switch 2 all but expected to be announced and released by this time next year. Xbox, Ubisoft, et al all stand to benefit from the hype trickling off other events and Summer Game Fest - a rising tide lifts all ships and all that jazz - but Nintendo I think benefit most from the distance they put between themselves and this initial wave of Not-E3, where expectations drop back down, we're all somewhat disappointed and missing the hype of E3s of old, a bit of the recency bias shown for some of these shows wears off and Nintendo could pummel the rest of the industry events with just one or two A-tier announcements held up with a few B-tier first party titles and some indie hits. 

If I had to bet money, it'd be on it turning up next week during the third full week of June like it has done the last two years. But I WANT - no, CRAVE - it to be this week. 

On 6/9/2024 at 10:24 PM, S.C.G said:

You can almost count on it, calling it now...

Nintendo Direct Tuesday, 11th June, 2024 at 17:00 UK time.

Look out for the usual roundup article, shortly after the presentation has aired. ;)

...can we get this even if it doesn't air? An alt reality take on the final June Direct solely for the Switch :laughing:

47 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Nintendo usually host their E3 Directs in the second week of June, and they’ve already announced that the next ND is coming this month, so I’d bet on either this Wednesday or Thursday.

I love that they did this.

Feels like everyone's on their toes already, and have been for months -- sweating, anticipating. Xbox and co. were all probably praying that the Nintendo Direct would be announced a good bit ahead of time so they'd get some trickle off hype. 

They could drop this thing two hours from now and I genuinely wouldn't bat an eye. Their June Directs proper always hit and they've almost let the title of Kings of Left Field go to their heads at times this gen it feels like with random news drops and Direct announcements, and I LOVE the chaos and hype that their approach perpetuates.

Them bowing out of live E3 shows as early as they did has only benefitted them in that these recorded Directs just feel E3 through and through, and I'd argue are the last bastion of that level of hype and anticipation in June; not to say there haven't been other good presentations in June since E3 closed, but Nintendo are always closing, and it feels like they do everything in their power and development schedule that they reasonably can to earn that right and responsibility. 

I fully expect this June Direct to be relatively refrained and I still think it's going to comfortably crush all the other showings we've seen over the last few days. That's the hype and power that Nintendo has bought with their consistency and chaotic approach this gen, and I hope it only continues on with the Switch 2 :D

On 09/06/2024 at 9:42 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Googled it for you and apparently June 18th. The timing used to be aligned with E3, as you'll well remember, but since Stink the Place Out Fest came along, they've been putting it up later.