NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

So the battery on my launch day Switch seemed to be on its last legs, it got to the point where it would drain from 100% charge to empty in the less than 20 mins it takes me to do my daily chores on Animal Crossing. I've replaced a broken screen on my phone a couple of times before and I read through the guide for replacing the Switch battery and it looked more straightforward so I figured I might as well do it myself. Bought a new battery and some tools but when I started I hit a bit of a roadblock, the middle screw on the joy con rail (both sides) just wouldn't turn at all. The screws were definitely stripped, no matter what I tried I couldn't get any tension on them. My Dad suggested drilling them out, which I was cautious about but I knew that the Switch was dead if I couldn't replace the battery so I decided to go about doing so very carefully. 

I covered the rest of the rails with masking tape and taped a microfiber cloth around the body of the Switch so the screen didn't get scratched then we got to work trying to drill them out. The heads came off pretty easily, we didn't need to go deep at all, but it didn't help loosen the backplate at all. We tried again a few more times, getting incrementally deeper, but neither screw would budge, the backplate was as inflexible as it had been the first time we tried the drill. We had one more go, at a loss for what to do, and suddenly there was smoke on one side, then sparks on the other. We'd drilled straight through the frame. 

Worried that I'd destroyed my Switch I was relieved that we were at least able to take off the backplate so I could assess the damage. The battery had definitely been knicked by the drill, we were lucky there wasn't anything more dramatic than a brief spark. Most worrying though was that we looked to have drilled into the motherboard on the other side, right near the storage chip, so I wasn't exactly optimistic about the repair. I disconnected the old battery then took the rest of the Switch outside to blow off any debris.

The actual repair was really easy, besides the stubborn screws levering out the old battery was the toughest part but it didn't take that long. I connected the new battery to test it out and it booted up just fine so I thought I'd got away with it. I glued the new battery in, put everything back together and turned the Switch back on. All seemed fine but when I tested out the WiFi connection the speeds were abysmally slow and then I realised I couldn't connect any controllers wirelessly. I figured I might have nudged one of the antennae loose but after reopening the Switch nothing looked out of place. I took a look at the diagrams and teardowns online and noticed that the antenna cable ran along the joy con rail, right past where we drilled through to the frame so I feel like I've probably cut through the cable. You can buy replacement WiFi/Bluetooth antennae so I will attempt a repair but it's a much more involved process, you have to strip literally everything else out of the shell. I thought I'd be happy enough to use it as is in the meantime but the WiFi is so screwy that it won't even connect in my room and I'd have no chance of being able to play docked while I couldn't connect any controllers so I reluctantly bought a brand new OLED. 

Long story short, drilling into your Switch probably isn't a good idea - but the OLED seems pretty nice

• Like 2

Universo Nintendo reported the other day that a Nintendo Direct was set to arrive on September 14th, and now Noda developers seem to be hinting at a Direct coming on that date, too:

The new Nodage will be announced next week!
It will probably be on Thursday the 14th!
Please wait and guess what the super Nodage will be this time!

(their last game was announced at a Nintendo Direct)

I know it's normal to have a Direct in September but I don't feel like I need one. We pretty much know what's coming until February and the rest of the year is already pretty packed. 

I could see them throwing out a Partner Showcase, though. 

20 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I know it's normal to have a Direct in September but I don't feel like I need one. We pretty much know what's coming until February and the rest of the year is already pretty packed. 

I could see them throwing out a Partner Showcase, though. 

I agree, honestly it feels like we're inundated with enough games as it is on the Switch alone, never mind every other platform! This year has been stacked and it already looks like the gaming calendar is stacked until at least the start of the second half of next year, which is nuts. 

For Nintendo, assuming we do get a Direct this month and it is a Direct proper this time around (not a silly old Partner Showcase, I hate those things, they just look and feel like the contractual obligations we all guess they are), I imagine it would be more from the perspective of hyping everyone up for what looks to be the Switch's last Christmas as their main focus, given that the general consensus is that it's successor is arriving next year. Maybe one or two announcements, but you're right, there's not much space for a megaton announcement to be dropped, especially with some titles already announced with very little info (like the Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon port or the new Peach game). 

This all being said, if this does shape out to be the last Direct proper solely for the Switch - given that I think it wouldn't be crazy for Nintendo to drop news on the Switch successor in Q1 next year and gear up for a more typical Q3/Q4 release this time around - I think they can yank our legs a little, if they really want to, and close on a Metroid Prime 4 teaser trailer, ending with a date of 'Late 2024'. Puts it squarely in the camp of launching alongside the Switch successor, one last big hype announcement for the Switch, and finally gives us an update on a game we haven't heard anything from since, when, well over four and a half years ago?! 

September 14th is around the time I’d expect the usual September Direct to happen, so it’s probably true.

Nintendo have posted a video message with Charles Martinet and Shigeru Miyamoto about the changing of Mario's voice actor

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

It seemed a nice thing to do, to acknowledge him.  At the same time though, it seemed a very strange way of doing it!

I liked their little insider reveal that Martinet refers to Miyamoto as “Papa”, and it was touching for Miyamoto to publicly thank Martinet.

It was a little awkward mind, to view what could easily have been viewed as a private conversation between the two (if you ignore the clear looks beside the camera to the script) and one can only hope they’ve had proper conversations before this.

To me, doing something like this to thank Charles Martinet is a lovely act, and not something a voice actor would usually get. If you were going to do it though, to me a video package highlighting Charles taking over Mario’s voice and then showcasing how he took on more characters and more dialogue, with footage to highlight the sheer volume of games, interspersed with how he’s voiced Mario at events and include within the package the kind comments by Miyamoto (& even a sentence or two from others).  That would have been a more fitting thank you (if you’ve seen the types of video packages companies like WWE can put together it gives you able idea of what is possible).

But this is Nintendo, and they do things their own way!  At least we have the anecdote about how Martinet almost banged his head on the door….

• Like 1

Watched the video and so he's... Doing the convention circuit? Which he did before anyway?

Kind of feels like they wanted to change the voices and he was still in a contract, or perhaps he's so connected with the franchise if they just dropped him there would be backlash so they're just waiting for him to no longer be able to go to the events

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Watched the video and so he's... Doing the convention circuit? Which he did before anyway?

Kind of feels like they wanted to change the voices and he was still in a contract, or perhaps he's so connected with the franchise if they just dropped him there would be backlash so they're just waiting for him to no longer be able to go to the events

Someone suggested Ninty wanted to keep him on the payroll so he wouldn't go around doing fan requested messages for birthday messages, etc. And I'm inclined to agree.

Probably don't want Martinet shouting expletives with that voice.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

In fairness I don't imagine he would have done those. 

I did see a suggestion that Nintendo got annoyed that the Mario movie voice cast was overshadowed by "why isn't it Martinet?", suggesting he "is" Mario. Don't really think it's that but wouldn't be surprised if it did at least annoy them.

Is "somewhere on the internet" not good enough for you? What if I did it in the Harvard Referencing System style? 😋

But just to be clear, I don't think it is that just one of those "wouldn't surprise me 🤷‍♂️" kind of things

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

In fairness I don't imagine he would have done those. 

Probably not, but it's more a case of Ninty covering their bases.

In reality, it's likely them pre-emptively making the change before Martinet gets too old to continue at that pace.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I'll just-a leave-a this here...

I can't be the only one who remembers this video? :p

Worth watching if you haven't seen it before, he does some unique impressions, and as close to expletives as would be allowed at a live show.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I'll just-a leave-a this here...

I can't be the only one who remembers this video? :p

Worth watching if you haven't seen it before, he does some unique impressions, and as close to expletives as would be allowed at a live show.

I did like how Miyamoto subtly acknowledged Martinet's pre-Mario 64 contributions to the voice of Mario, when he said that his "video game" debut was in 1996.   Turns out that Martinet has been doing the voice of Mario for quite a while before then...

He's been doing the floating head showcase as far back as CES 1992-1993!

And his debut as Mario's voice was not in a video game... or even as the floating head, but rather...

There's also Mario Teaches Typing and Mario's Game Gallery on PC in 1994 and 1995 respectively, but they're not proper video games :D

And just for fun... here's a clip of Martinet actually helping somebody else do the Mario floating head thing at CES 1992! (That's ol' Charles helping to put on the mocap face "suit" at the start of the video :hehe:), while Charles gets to take a break.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Switch version of Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed has a release date now (for the US at least, but I assume the UK is the same): October 19th. Digital version cost $19.99 and can be preordered from this Thursday on the eshop. The psychical costs $29.99 and has an alternative glow in the dark front cover.

Edit - It was added to the eshop today for pre-order and is £17.99

ghostbusters_ecto_edition_gitd-1000x563.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

The Switch version of the Batman Arkham Trilogy has been delayed by two months

Edited by Helmsly

PAC-MAN Mega Tunnel Battle: Chomp Champs announced

PAC-MAN Mega Tunnel Battle: Chomp Champs is an online-only PAC-MAN eating competition!

Eat your way through multiple interconnected mazes using Power Pellets and a variety of Power Items to chomp the GHOSTS and opponent PAC-MAN players!

Be the last PAC standing at the end of each match in this 64-player battle royale to be the Chomp Champ!

Pretty scummy that they killed Pac-man 99 for this.  It looks like decent fun, but there's no way that I'm playing it, just out of pure principle.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

I was in the town centre today to pick up my new glasses and was about to go to Argos and buy the controller when I suddenly remembered I need... food and electric lol. The perils of survival. Alas, come payday I will get myself one. And I think the Tails one is my favourite, and that's not out for another week, and I don't need TWO, so I shall wait. 

On 10/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, Helmsly said:

PAC-MAN Mega Tunnel Battle: Chomp Champs announced

Looks ok. I honestly wasn't that fussed by Pac-Man 99 so it will be interesting to see if this is an improvement. 

That name is SO bad though, like, Nintendo style bad. Like the new Red Switch OLED that they inexplicably have called Nintendo Switch – OLED Model Mario Red Edition.

Anyway we reached peak Pac-Man years ago and for some reason it still doesn't have a Switch port - Pac-Man256! Though maybe it's for the best as I got unhealthily hooked on that game at the time lol. 

• Thanks 1