N-Europe

A Place Called Home

Ashley

I've known for quite a while that I don't see myself living in this country for the rest of my life. Its never quite felt like home. There's places I like, and its not like I hate it here but I dunno...I don't drink tea, I don't watch football and I'm indifferent toward Charlie Brooker. Not very British :p

But likewise I'm not sure where I want to set my hat and I'm coming to realise I'm going to have to realise at some point but rather than whine on myself just wondering about everyone else.

Do you have a place you are happy to call home? Is it your hometown or somewhere else you've moved to? Would you consider emigrating and if so where to (and actually doing it, I'm sure it would be nice to move to Australia but do you ever actually plan to?)?

Someday I'll go where there ain't no rain or snow

‘Til then, I travel alone

And I make my bed with the stars above my head

(although personally a place with rain and snow would be nice)

I can imagine myself living in the UK at the end of my life (If I live till old age), but I'd prefer to be somewhere beautiful on the European mainland or the US.

Got Stephen Fry In America for my birthday, and I'm in awe of the entire landscape. A Tori Amos album themed around the dusty deserts of America first made me interested, but I'm in such need to go on some sort of road trip for myself.

Edinburgh is stunning, and I like to call it my home, but then I hate the concept of Scotland, so I'd prefer not to.

Edinburgh is genuinely an amazing city, since It actually knocks down any ugly buildings, so only immaculate ones are left standing. And I love that there's no high-rise buildings anywhere near town.

However, it's not very culturally diverse, and I hate the "rough" scottish accent, and general attitude of scottish ruffians.

I'll admit I've never been too far afield for too long a time than right here in my hometown, but it's where I've been for my entire life, and despite it being a piece of shit, it's my piece of shit, and I hope I'll always want to call it home, even if I end up somewhere else.

Edinburgh is stunning, and I like to call it my home, but then I hate the concept of Scotland, so I'd prefer not to.

What do you mean by "concept of scotland"?

If I was to stay in the UK then I can see myself living in either Glasgow or in the city of London. Love both cities but London for me is a bit better although friends and family are in glasgow.

I would love to move to Italy (metropolitan milan) or India (Chandigarh) when I retire.

Shanghai is home now, but there's a lot of unwelcoming aspects - casual racism, rudeness, a willingness to cheat foreigners and generally unhelpful attitudes to anyone who doesn't have brown eyes and black hair.

HOWEVER: It's cheap, convenient, with great food and hot women and men, a lot of amazing sights and sounds and it's a great place to work.

But the racism dos get to me and so does the ultra-nationalism.

Kilts + Irn Bru + Neds + Bagpipes + Monarch Of The Glen etc etc. Everything about Scottish culture reminds me of shite.

I like Scottish country/highland dancing. + Kilts. And I don't mind/quite like bagpipes when they're in huge pipe bands. On their own, I agree, they're rubbish.

Barrow in furness will always be home. But i hope to get my half pension (12 years served in the forces) and then transfer to the australian or new zealand defence forces. Do my 3 eyars service with them get my citizenship and just see what happens then. O well only 8 and a bit years left until that point i guess lol.

I dream about it but im not sure if it would actually happen. As its a bit in the future and you never know what could happen in that time.

As much Scotland will always be my home, I don't really feel very Scottish. I've always felt like I want to lay my nest in another continent. For me it's always been the USA or Canada but recently I'm warming to the idea of Australia or New Zealand.

I guess as with many here, their home will always be their "home", but to make another elsewhere I once would've said America, but as we know that's not happening. I've always wondered about making a shagpad in Australia.

Kilts + Irn Bru + Neds + Bagpipes + Monarch Of The Glen etc etc. Everything about Scottish culture reminds me of shite.

WRONG.

Irn bru is awesome, don't diss the Scots, man. =(

I'm actually Scottish born and raised. I have lived here (Northern Ireland) for the longest out of everywhere (13 years!) and I gotta say its home. I have awesome friends here, a job I don't really hate, and my family.

I went back to Elgin, as nice as it was, it just wasn't home. Everyone I knew as a young'un had moved on. I'll always remember my Scottish roots, but i'm happy enough here.

I'm kinda the same I don't have a sense of home..I've moved around as a kid due to my dads job, was born in Portsmouth, moved to Great Yarmouth, then to Harrogate then went to uni in Sheffield and now back in Harrogate. I often get nostalgic about Portsmouth as a place (not been there for ages since we won the FA Cup) but don't feel as attached to any of the other places I've lived or Harrogate (which I've lived in the most out of anywhere)

One thing I've defintely thought since my travels is about moving to South Africa, but I want to do a lot more travelling as there are so many different places to go to around the world. Also as bad as it sounds perhaps wait until my Dad is dead because I would hate for anything to happen to him and me not be around. I just can't see myself spending my life completely in this country its not all that...

I'm kinda at a crossroads to be honest part of me wants to just forget everything and go off travelling long term doing some more volunteering etc...but things are going really well at work got a new job role and they are offering to help pay for my teacher training etc...so its hard to sack all that off and leave...

I'm still trying to find my feet back in Newport, and a lot of it has changed for me. But, as long as I have family and friends here, it'll always be my home. I can't imagine not being in this house, so if the family moved permanently, I would be a bit upset, I think.

I loved my time in Brighton and I would love to live there again one day. It's one of these places where I seemed to just fit or slot in, and it didn't seem too big or too small a place for me. So, maybe one day I can be there again, if I can afford it.

There's so much of the world I haven't seen it yet. If I did live abroad, I'd be worried that I just couldn't hack it, and couldn't cope with learning other languages. I'm learning Dutch, but sucking, haha. I've never been to America or Australia, but a lot of people here seem to want to give that a crack. Maybe one day, heh.

I do know that I don't want to stay in Newport forever. There's too many things that I want to do that I just can't do here, and I don't think I truely belong here anymore. I know I've got good family and close friends here, and it'll always be a place that is welcoming to me (I hope) but I believe that I belong somewhere else. I'd like to go somewhere new and give that a try. Experience new things.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I'm incredibly English, even though I see the faults with this country when they present themselves. The only English-speaking country I'd move to would be New Zealand, but if I was prepared to learn the language properly I could see myself moving to France or Germany.

Speaking of family home; the one I grew up isn't the same place anymore. They say you make a house a home, well its become a home again. My mother took most decorative stuff when she left (and my father's not a decorative kind of person anyway) so its quite bare and everyone in there lives different lives. Its in ways like a student place. The only thing I like going back there for is to see my dog. Which is probably why I lack a feeling of home. This one is okay, but it feels like my mother's partner's home.

Moving every six-nine months on average probably doesn't help :p