Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Patrick Swayze Has Died

Dante

MSNBC -

Patrick Swayze, the hunky actor who danced his way into viewers’ hearts with “Dirty Dancing” and then broke them with “Ghost,” died Monday after a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 57.

“Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months,” said a statement released Monday evening by his publicist, Annett Wolf. No other details were given.

Fans of the actor were saddened to learn in March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from a particularly deadly form of cancer.

He had kept working despite the diagnosis, putting together a memoir with his wife and shooting “The Beast,” an A&E drama series for which he had already made the pilot. It drew a respectable 1.3 million viewers when the 13 episodes ran in 2009, but A&E said it had reluctantly decided not to renew it for a second season.

Swayze said he opted not to use painkilling drugs while making “The Beast” because they would have taken the edge off his performance. He acknowledged that time might be running out given the grim nature of the disease.

When he first went public with the illness, some reports gave him only weeks to live, but his doctor said his situation was

When he first went public with the illness, some reports gave him only weeks to live, but his doctor said his situation was “considerably more optimistic” than that.

“I’d say five years is pretty wishful thinking,” Swayze told ABC’s Barbara Walters in early 2009. “Two years seems likely if you’re going to believe statistics. I want to last until they find a cure, which means I’d better get a fire under it.”

‘Dancing’ made him a star

A three-time Golden Globe nominee, Swayze became a star with his performance as the misunderstood bad-boy Johnny Castle in “Dirty Dancing.” As the son of a choreographer who began his career in musical theater, he seemed a natural to play the role.

A coming-of-age romance starring Jennifer Grey as an idealistic young woman on vacation with her family and Swayze as the Catskills resort’s sexy (and much older) dance instructor, the film made great use of both his grace on his feet and his muscular physique.

R.I.P Patrick Swayze :sad:

Edited by Dante

Seriously a shame, so impressive that he fought it without painkillers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here we go:

Anyone for a rmake of "Ghost" ?

The worms have really got "Hungry Eyes"

Someone else?

Someone else?
He... had... the time of his liiiife.

Come to think of it, I never watched Dirty Dancing, now I think perhaps I should.

RIP, Swayster.

I thought he'd overcome it, as I hadn't heard anything about it in ages.

Shame. I've only actually seen him in Donnie Darko, but I liked him in that.

Haven't you ever seen Point Break?

[/Nick Frost]

I found out about this very early this morning, and was pretty sad about it. I've loved his films, including Ghost and also Road House. That's a pretty awesome movie that I think a lot of people tend to skim over.

I was quite sad to hear of his illness when the news initially broke. There were reports that he would barely last the end of the year. :(

R.I.P.