NEurope

to be honest this is the first game in a long time where the reviews aren't putting me off. I still think it looks fantastic and will add it to my list of games for the new year.

@Hero-of-Time

Do you want to play it and do you want - by any chance - that Spector continues to make games? You might as well pick it up. ;)

We know that DKC won't be the last of its kind, nor will CoD 7, FIFA xx or or Kirby be. But when there is no real pressure to get on of the other games instead, like the peer pressure to join the friends, because they're playing the hell out of game X online or the other game being much better, I'd rather get one of the good games that won't be churned out annually. The other games are all so big and successful, that we'll be seeing them on the shelves for a long time. And their successors within a year after that, unless they're from Nintendo, in which case a successor will take 3+ years. Well, Duke Nukem and Gran Turismo have been known to take a bit longer, too. :p

I got it. Despite not being much of a disney fan I absolutely love this game after playing for just half an hour , though now Iv'e put it up for christmas.

Bought it and I love it. It reminds me of Banjo Kazooie for some reason.

Maybe the warped, oppresive atmosphere and the early levels that look like Clankers Cavern. Can't nail it down but I love it either way. The warped Small World levels are great yet are a strange 'intro' before it gets more cheery. It feels like Kingdom Hearts at points too.

The camera is a LITTLE iffy and the pointer isn't as smooth as butter at times but it's nothing serious. It is definitely a great game and the passion and effort spills out of every room. I've even even found some NES/SNES references. Lovely stuff. When you tip-toe with Mickey you get staccato Violin too. and when you power up a TV all the enemies sit glued to the box. Enemies are also humorous scratching their heads if you disappear from sight and 'rolling' their arms up as if they had sleeves. Gorgeous stuff.

Anyway, back to the Epicness. If you are on the fence, buy it. It's steeped in Disney memorabilia, charm and evokes classic 3D platformers. It's also Mickey's best outing since Fantasia :P

Edited by tapedeck

It reminds me of Banjo Kazooie for some reason.

If there's any sentence that could make me instantly want any game, this would be it.

I don't want to read too much into this - in case I spoil things for myself. Is this a renter or buyer do you folks think?

I don't want to read too much into this - in case I spoil things for myself. Is this a renter or buyer do you folks think?
It's meant to have a load of replayability, and you can't get everything the first playthrough.

If you have plenty of other games to play atm, you could always wait for a bit and maybe they'll even be a price drop for/after Christmas on some sites.

*totally has to check bank account funds*

If all is well i'll buy it. Don't wanna miss it like Sonic Colours :heh:

Was able to play this for about 15 mins before the parents stole the TV. Liking it so far, definitely looks like a high quality title! Will share more once I've had a bit more time with!

can't wait for this game!

this is gonna be in america next Tuesday =(

the good thing, i'll get the collectors edition ^^

@Hero-of-Time

Do you want to play it and do you want - by any chance - that Spector continues to make games? You might as well pick it up. ;)

Not being a PC gamer I don't think i've played any of his games, that being the case I have no real stock in the guy and don't know the quality of his work from my own experience. Sure, people rave on about him but I hate PC gaming so their opinions mean nothing to me.

If there's any sentence that could make me instantly want any game, this would be it.

THIS.

Bought it and I love it. It reminds me of Banjo Kazooie for some reason.

Maybe the warped, oppresive atmosphere and the early levels that look like Clankers Cavern. Can't nail it down but I love it either way. The warped Small World levels are great yet are a strange 'intro' before it gets more cheery. It feels like Kingdom Hearts at points too.

The camera is a LITTLE iffy and the pointer isn't as smooth as butter at times but it's nothing serious. It is definitely a great game and the passion and effort spills out of every room. I've even even found some NES/SNES references. Lovely stuff. When you tip-toe with Mickey you get staccato Violin too. and when you power up a TV all the enemies sit glued to the box. Enemies are also humorous scratching their heads if you disappear from sight and 'rolling' their arms up as if they had sleeves. Gorgeous stuff.

Anyway, back to the Epicness. If you are on the fence, buy it. It's steeped in Disney memorabilia, charm and evokes classic 3D platformers. It's also Mickey's best outing since Fantasia :P

Thanks for the impressions. TD/RedShell/darksnowman are the peeps I trust on these boards, so I look to them when im undecided about a game. TD may have just sold me on it. Looks like a trip to Morrisons in the morning is on the cards. :)

Thanks for the impressions. TD/RedShell/darksnowman are the peeps I trust on these boards, so I look to them when im undecided about a game. TD may have just sold me on it. Looks like a trip to Morrisons in the morning is on the cards. :)

I'm gonna get Epic Mickey for Christmas so that probs means you'll have it impulse bought by the time I get my first impressions up. :heh: Warren Spector seems like a cool and enthusiastic guy from the interviews I've seen him give.

Off topic but are you getting this years Rabbids game?

Off topic but are you getting this years Rabbids game?

I was gonna but ONM slammed it calling it a mess. I think they give 40% or something around that mark. Im not happy they went back to the mini games collection, especially after the joy that was Rabbids Go Home. I will probably give it a whirl when it goes cheap, which should be pretty quick given the series history.

After reading TD's impressions I ventured up to Morrisons this morning. It wasn't an easy journey as the snowfall had been pretty bad up here in Consett, so I couldn't use my car. I had to trek though the snow to get this game, hopefully it will be worth the effort. :D

Consett is lethal. Here in Durham it's getting worse. Snow eh? I've a date with Mickey Mouse again so the snow isn't bothering me too much

Hope you enjoy the game HOT. It definitely jumps up a gear after the first two hours so stick with it.

Rabbids: a shame as their moon venture was marvellous. Do UBI even care that they've created what could be a brilliant series?

Bought this yesterday afternoon, and I've only played about an hour and a half or so but enjoying it so far. The camera and pointer control issues are pretty apparent, and I've had a few frustrations with them but nothing major. Basically, the atmosphere of the game is making me forget about the issues. Just looks and feels great. Looking forward to getting to some of the more open areas and seeing how the scenery changes.

Looks like this may be something to pick up in the future. However, my games list is continually growing and I'm thinking that I should start laying off buying games, so I'll leave it for a future time when it's dropped to a decent price(though £22 is very tempting already!).

I've put a couple of hours into it and so far i'm finding it a little average, to be honest.

The colours used remind me of Mushroom Men as it gives the game a rather grim and sickly look. I'm sure that's what they were going for but it's not doing anything for me.

I love the 2D black and white sections that i've played. It really took me back to my SNES days ( CAPCOM FTW! ) and I would have loved for the whole game to be like that.

Controls wise they are definetly hitty missy. The camera isn't that bad, it's a 3D platformer and very few developers have mastered how to work it. Turning it manually could have been made quicker though.

What really is killing it for me is the pointer controls. There has been so many times where i'm trying to hit something up a height and the game just fires at Mickey's feet. Even if there is a little object in front of you the game refuses to lift Mickey's hand even a little. Most of the time I find i'm just walking as close as possible to the object to make sure I actually hit it.

The platforming is solid though and despite these problems the game is still playable. Most of the reviews have complained about the pointer and in my eyes the complaints are justified.

Another thing I would have liked is a little voice over work from the characters. Again it's not a deal breaker but it would have added a little more charm I think.

Anyone know where the hell Pete's Logbook is? I've just entered the Gremlin Village and I still haven't come across it. Also, can you go back to previous areas? I seen a couple of chests I couldn't reach and would like to get them at some point.

@ H-o-T:

In the Gremlin Village, you should see to the right of the entrance/where you come in to the village a steam boat on top of a cliff/hanging over the edge slightly. The book's on there and you'll need to use one of the airplane ride things as platforms for getting over to the area where it is.

Hope that explained it. It's a little hard to explain it really but I did my best. Agree about the pointer controls. I've had Mickey spraying paint out of the screen rather than at the object in front of Mickey. Perhaps it's something to do with the camera mechanics and the level design and how those work together. ::shrug: It's far from unplayable, and I'm enjoying the atmosphere, but you'd think it'd be something they'd pick up in QA. Well, that is if Disney didn't tell Junction Point to hurry it up and get the game out of the door for the holidays, although I do think there'll have been a bit of that.

Cheers, Ganepark. I actually found it just after I asked for help. :D

I just did the 2D Clockwork section and man it looked so colourful and the music was fantastic, so cheerful.

People should really worry less about numbers and percentages.

It looks awesome and I can't freaking wait to play.

Like I said, the first few hours are a little unsettling but when you get to the alternative park/Oswalds domain the game just sparks to life in a 1930's creepathon kind of way.

I've accommodated for the vertical paint shooting by using the down button on the d pad to assist. You can also use the C button to lock on to enemies and the screen goes into letterbox mode ala Zelda64. Much easier then.

Thanks for the tips, TD. I will try them out later. Also, what you said about the first few hours is true.

I went back on it last night and everything just clicked for me and I really started to enjoy the game. I think it happened when I got to Mean Street and everything started to look alot more colourful.

I found this scene in Mean Street very touching...

It was where you see the statue of Walt Disney and Mickey looks all happy until the Gremlin explains that Oswald made a few changes. The sad look Mickey gives as he sees that Oswald has put himself with Walt is fantastic and you really start feeling sorry for the little rabbit.

I got to Ostown and one of the quests really had me stumped. It was where you had to find the power boxes for the phone. I looked everywhere and I just couldn't find 2 of them. At one point I even thought about just letting the Gremlin in my house so he could to set about the phone.

After searching around the whole town, for what seemed like an age, I just decided to start spraying around with my thinner. Now, I rarely used this because I was trying to rebuild everything around me so I completely forgot I could destroy things aswell. Sure enough a hole opened up in the wall and garden. :)

After that it was on to Mickey Junk Mountain and this is where I seen one of the best things in the game. The level is full of Mickey Memorabilia and as I was making my way across badges and lunch boxes then I came across a bunch of NES and SNES carts. I never played the NES Mickey game but the SNES one was definetly Magical Quest!

That was where I left the game last night. I could see a chest behind a waterfall of thinner but I was too tired to figure out how to get it. Before I go I will mention the 2D levels again. These levels are absolute platforming gold, with some of the best music and graphics in the game. Genius.