N-Europe

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was on the paper vs. what was supposed to be on the paper, can you say?

I like the student's comment at the end "If you are worried about going to university now, due to struggling with the named paper, perhaps you are not good enough for university where exam papers do test you!" A great retort.

Surely that comment was a joke and wasn't said by an A-level student?

Where -- I misread that at first, too. As in, those were the topics studied for uni 4 (presumably), but were not actually on teh paper.

The last question was basically the only relevant question and required minimal knowledge of one particular topic. There was pretty much nothing on any of the other topics. It was all statistics (Spearman's Rank came up, even though it says in the book it wouldn't), questions that made no sense, with no required knowledge of biology.

I had to blag my way through most of it, and feel that anyone could have done as well as me, with no prior knowledge of the subject - aside from the last question.

Well... the problem is that people who think that these tests should "test you" are getting confused to how the whole A Level system is set-up.

If you want a system where it's not just reciting facts with minimal interpretation, then you need to have that years worth of study spent exciting students, bringing ideas out of them, discussion - which involve learning lots of these facts, etc.

You can't have a year's worth of lecturing about theories, taking weekly tests, having quite boring homework, etc. and then be expected to go into an exam and be an all high-flying thinker and... stuff.

Where as uni. offers that.

Hum...

I dunno what I'm saying really.

Can someone with more "brain" put that into a more concise statement for me, please?

A-level is about knowledge acquisition, uni is about knowledge exploration. A-levels follow a set curriculum so that student's learn x,y,z which is then tested, whereas at university each uni design their own modules (and examinations) and encourage using the pre-acquired knowledge to develop and explore other ideas. This exam paper was more like a university exam in the sense that it was asking students to explore issues of biology, rather than testing that they had learnt the curriculum that is set to them.

Is that what you meant Wesley?

A-level is about knowledge acquisition, uni is about knowledge exploration. A-levels follow a set curriculum so that student's learn x,y,z which is then tested, whereas at university each uni design their own modules (and examinations) and encourage using the pre-acquired knowledge to develop and explore other ideas. This exam paper was more like a university exam in the sense that it was asking students to explore issues of biology, rather than testing that they had learnt the curriculum that is set to them.

Is that what you meant Wesley?

Such beautiful words come out of your jibbery-hole.

Edited by Wesley

Wolfie Blackheart, Professed "Werewolf," Decapitates Dog's Head, Then Boils It

Her Mother Lets Her.

Lisa Rodriguez, Wolfie’s mom, said she supports her daughter’s career goal.

“I say, ‘Don’t sever heads in front of me,' ” she said. “She usually does it in the woods.”

Wolfie cares lovingly for two huskies in the backyard.

Her room is a cluttered den plastered with posters of anime characters and howling wolves. On a high shelf, she collects heads, including the cleaned skulls of a coyote, ram and wild boar.

When a car ran over Pixie — her “best friend” — Wolfie cut off the chihuahua’s tiny head, cleaned it and placed it in a jar.

“I get requests on cats and stuff,” she said.

Wolfie also has collected more than a dozen swords, including a “two-handled war sword” made of carbon steel and a katana blade from Japan.

She said investigators knocked on her door Friday with a search warrant.

“When they saw her room, they had to call every single cop to her room,” said her mother, who lives in the home. “The spots on the wall, they thought it was blood. It’s catsup. The kids had a fight. They’re teenagers.”

She added, “Wolfie does have a bloody refrigerator, but they’re all dead animals.”

Crime scene investigators swabbed the walls. Authorities confiscated the dog’s head. No one could find the body.

Quite messed up girl and wolves are lupine, not canine.

I take it you've heard about NASA's Spirit rover getting stuck? It's trapped in a sandtrap, and NASA have declared they can't get it out.

Here's a somewhat Wall-E-esque XKCD, the poor little bugger. :(

spirit.png

It's now been 2216 days since it started it's 90 day mission - it has served us well, and brought us some rather awesome pictures of the Martian landscape.

Edited by The fish

I knew he was alive cause I did a series of Catcher In The Rye essays spanning 2 years (don't ask), and so when bored, I'd just read about him and his few other books. IIRC he was living with some way younger woman, or maybe that was years ago prior.

Wolfie Blackheart, Professed "Werewolf," Decapitates Dog's Head, Then Boils It

Her Mother Lets Her.

Quite messed up girl and wolves are lupine, not canine.

A wolf is part of the Canis genus. Canis Lupus is its Latin name.

Also, the girl seems a bit messed up, but in itself there's nothing wrong about collecting bones and skulls, as long as the animals are dead before the bones are collected. I know a girl who collects bones and skulls as well, and often cleans these herself.