N-Europe

And the one millionth English word is...

Retro_Link

*Excuse the rushed photoshop...*

countdownggx.jpg

http://news.uk.msn.com/features/article.aspx?cp-documentid=147866718

'Web 2.0' is one millionth English word

The buzzword that heralded the new age of social networking on the internet, Web 2.0, has been crowned the one millionth English word by a US-based language monitoring group.

The Texas-based Global Language Monitor (GLM) acknowledges new words once they have been used 25,000 times on media and social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook. It predicts that a new English-language word is created every 98 minutes.

Not that this has impressed experts around the world, with Geoffrey Nunberg, a linguistics professor at the University of California at Berkeley, telling journalists: "I think it's pure fraud ... It's not bad science. It's nonsense."

It is unlikely that many of us will ever use all of the million English words at our disposal. Even the most linguistically gifted person is only likely to use 70,000, according to GLM.

Some of the words recently added to the English lexicon may be unknown to most of us too - unless you know what 'flash mob', 'a herbert' or 'shoulder-surfing' mean.

As my picture implies, Web 2.0... bet good old Suzie is questioning that in dictionary corner!

It's getting a bit rediculous now, some of these aren't even words, they're just small phrases or expressions!

Gonna have to think of a new word now!

Certainly pissed this guy off...

Newsnight Video:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8093233.stm

Jeremy Paxman spoke to Professor David Crystal, a leading linguist and Paul J J Payack, President of the Global Language Monitor to debate the the validity of the claim that the millionth word was about to appear.

They say there that depending on how you look at the English language it may not be the 1 millionth word...

But the fact that it's even being classed as a word in the first place is a joke!

I was thinking there, wtf is the English language doing relying on freakin social network sites.. then i read:

"The buzzword that heralded the new age of social networking on the internet, Web 2.0, has been crowned the one millionth English word by a US-based language monitoring group"

Lol.

acknowledges new words once they have been used 25,000 times on media and social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook

So if one would create a group on Facebook or Twitter, consisting of 5000 people and then organise it so that everyone posts the same (newly invented) word on the message board of five of his friends, one could created lots of new words all the time. Awesome :D :D :D

This is rediculous. The OED consists of words that retain relevancy after hundreds and hundreds of years. But in a dozen years nobody will remember or care what Web 2.0 was. If you need to find out you can use an online encyclopedia, but that kind of thing is not what a dictionary was for. This kind of thing would only happen in a country so young!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Paul J. J. Payack is just an snake oil merchant. My first linguistics essay was to explain why his claims are such utter nonsense.

He makes me angry. If necessary I will explain in as much detail as you require why this is all so absurd, but I should probably wait until I'm more sober.

Edited by Supergrunch