Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Retro_Link

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did indeed start playing this again over the past couple of days, got an extra 6 Stars. I love the feeling of triumph you get when you finally nab it, especially on the comet levels. :) After a good little run though, I attempted Snowcap Galaxy and chasing after the bloody rabbits. It broke me, so I turned it off in frustration. :heh: S.C.G. gave me some tips for that though so I should be able to resume and nail the slippery gits.

The original was amazing and this one looks pretty epic too. I don't get why some people are calling it lazy or unimaginative.

Its quite obvious that there are loads of ideas around the galaxy concept and if im honest, i liked the original so much i wouldnt care if it had no new features, just new levels.

People complain about this but titles such as Guitar Hero Metallica or Fifa 09 which are basically the same games over and over again don't get flamed for their lack of originality.

So yes, I cant wait - Omg Yoshi!

Miyamoto: Why I Spiked Mario Galaxy 2’s Story!

Super Mario Galaxy 2 won’t have as deep a storyline as its predecessor, says Mario’s creator Shigeru Miyamoto.

Super Mario Galaxy, the 2007 game that marked the iconic mascot character’s first adventure on Wii, was notable for the fact that its narrative was much deeper than the series’ usual paper-thin, save-the-princess plot. But Miyamoto, in an interview with Wired.com at E3 2009, says he’s not a fan of putting story into Mario titles, and therefore he’s keeping the plot of Galaxy 2 to a bare minimum.

“I’d like to go with as little story as possible,” he said. “I’ve always felt that the Mario games themselves aren’t particularly suited to having a very heavy story.”

The Legend of Zelda games, he feels, should have deep storylines — but not Mario.

So why does the designer of Donkey Kong — the 1981 game widely credited with introducing storylines to videogames in the first place — shy away from adding a deeper story to his most famous character’s games?

“I just feel that the Mario games are something that should be a much more bright and active experience,” he said. “With the Mario games, you don’t need to have such a complicated setting where you have these particular characters with complicated backstories that can weigh down the bright and fun feel of the game.”

“I feel that even if all that you have is that the villain is just simply a villain and you fight them, and you throw them down, and you find out, well, that wasn’t such a bad villain after all, that’s enough story for ultimately what is just about a very fun experience,” he added.

A villain that’s not actually all bad is a recurring theme in the Mario games. Miyamoto has said before that his first villain, Donkey Kong, was just “misunderstood,” not evil. He reinforced this point in his very next game, Donkey Kong Jr., in which Mario was the villain and Donkey Kong’s son was the protagonist.

Somewhat complicating matters is the fact that the director of the Mario games, Yoshiaki Koizumi, disagrees with Miyamoto’s story-free philosophy.

“Mr. Koizumi is the type of person who, whenever we’re working on a new Mario game, he always wants to bring more story elements into it, as he did with Super Mario Galaxy. But in talking with him this time, he agrees and feels that with Galaxy 2, there won’t be a need for as deep of a story,” Miyamoto said.

But does he really agree with his boss, or has Koizumi just been overruled? In an interview with Wired.com in 2007, Koizumi said that he’s been trying to sneak bits of story into Mario and Zelda games for his entire career at Nintendo, even as Miyamoto has been trying to keep them out.

I told Miyamoto about what Koizumi had said, and he looked slightly taken aback.

“He said that?”

“Yes.”

“Well, I put a stop to that at the beginning, this time,” he said, and for emphasis punched the air with his fist.

We all had a good laugh. But it’s actually quite disappointing. In my view, Koizumi had the right idea. Super Mario Galaxy had the requisite, ritualistic kidnapping of Princess Peach, yes. But it also had another cast of characters, a princess from outer space and her family of talking stars, who had a deeper, sadder story that was revealed through elegant picture-book scenes throughout the game.

It’s not just Koizumi who’s pushing back against Miyamoto’s propensity towards minimalism. Miyamoto says he’s also had some “battles” with the team making New Super Mario Bros. Wii over the story.

“They always want to have these dramatic scenes where Princess Peach gets kidnapped, but I always tell them, no, it’s fine — Princess Peach likes cake, so you can just have them use cake as bait to kidnap Princess Peach, and that’s enough,” he laughed.

“Glutton” was the word in Japanese he used to describe Princess Peach.

“I was thinking they could have these big ships come in, and they’ve got these big chains all over them, and they drop a plate down with cake on it,” he said.

For the time being, it seems like the Galaxy 2 team is still trying to get some story in, where Miyamoto will allow it.

“I think you did see a person carved out of a tree stump in the trailer. That person has a bit of a story,” Miyamoto said.

33uzurd.jpg

"ooooo cake" :p

I finally got all 120 stars yesterday. Just started a new game with Luigi and I'm on 12. Not keen on how 'slippy' he is but this game is an absolute joy to play through and I can't wait to do it all again.

All of the little, subtle touches that are dotted throughout the game really put that Nintendo trademark shine on it. It's not an exageration to say that no developer can perfect and take such care for a product on a level with Nintendo. The visuals, the music, the gameplay mechanics, the level design, the little graphical effects and neuances; Nothing else on the market comes close.

as much as i would like a super paper mario 2, i would much rather have a Paper mario (3) game. I really missed the big fleshed out lengthy rpg game. super paper mario to me was more of an super mario bros with the paper mario graphical style.

as much as i would like a super paper mario 2, i would much rather have a Paper mario (3) game. I really missed the big fleshed out lengthy rpg game. super paper mario to me was more of an super mario bros with the paper mario graphical style.

I'm listening my friend, I'm listening.

The Paper Mario-series is an absolute god amongst the great story driven games of NINTENDO. The three all had fascinating stories to say the least, most of that can be thanked to the chapters, which all had completely different themes to them (Loved Twilight Town in TTYD, Mt. Lava Lava in the first one and, of course, the Bitzone in 3)

The cast of characters were all so extremely different from one another and when you took some of them out of their respective context (Chapter), the results were SOOOOO SWEET!:bowdown:

Unfortunately Super Paper Mario used the ol' 2d platforming formula instead of the gameplay which made the previous onces SO GOD DAMN AWESOME!

Here's to hoping they learn from their 'mistakes':yay:

-------

As for a Paper Mario game in developement; I wouldn't get your hopes up.

At E3 they announced 4 Mario Games (SMG 2, NSMBWII, Minis March Again and Mario&Luigi)

Even though the last one was already announced, it still is a mario game the west doesn't have so......yeah........Paper Mario 3:wtf: WHERE ART THOU!?!

by the way, if we look at history, it shows us that a Paper Mario game most of the time follows a Mario&Luigi game.

-------------

Back on Topic, SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 looks just as fun as the first one and with 90% of new stuff, how could it go wrong?

Edited by Fused King

• 4 weeks later...
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!