Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Retro_Link

I agree completely. But Nintendo won't have released a huge game in over 2 years!!! It's just...weird. Yeah we've had some great games (Mario Kart, Wario Land, Punch Out, Resort, NSMB) but in all honesty, I've not been REALLY excited about a Nintendo game since Galaxy... Smash Bros is obviously a huge release, but I'm not it's biggest fan (though I think it's great...) so it will actually be probably 3 years from one AAA Nintendo game to the next....and it's a sequel of the same game!!!

I don't mean to complain, I've loved a lot of the games and the Wii itself, and there's some great games coming out. But it's Nintendo games I want, and I feel a little unfulfilled....

You just admitted that Nintendo is pumping out several good releases. The fact that you aren't excited for a game like it's the best thing ever, isn't really their fault.

The last game I was uber-excited to get was SSBB. Before that, Tales of Symphonia. Big gap, isn't it? That didn't stop me from enjoying every minute of Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Skies of Arcadia in the meantime.

[rant]And I'm tired of all this talk of AAA games. If only those are worth talking about, and considering the exact definition changes from person to person, then even this forum is pointless[/rant]

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I was feeling the same way, but more because we didn't know about any AAA games coming up. Now we know about 2 from Nintendo, and more from 3rd parties. So at this point, I can relax and wait, and enjoy these "smaller" games while I do so.

Good isn't a good enough standard for me though. I've loved lots of games, but nothing beats a huge game to really get excited about does it?

Also, the other good Nintendo titles have been released in the first half of the year bizarrely. I don't know what it is about autumn, christmas time, but this is when you want at least one really big game....and we won't have had one for so long.

And who said AAA games are the only ones worth talking about? I didn't. I was just saying it's been ages since I've had one; and I know it's subjective, that's why I pointed to Brawl being one, but just not for me. With a mentality like yours (no one being able to express an opinion) then you're right, this forum is pointless.

Actually, I was feeling the same way, but more because we didn't know about any AAA games coming up. Now we know about 2 from Nintendo, and more from 3rd parties. So at this point, I can relax and wait, and enjoy these "smaller" games while I do so.

But we always know we're eventually going to get the games. But I think Nintendo can space them out a bit better. Or maybe give us a bit more respect with the "big" games they release (I'm looking at you Animal Crossing).

I literally could not agree more. I wasn't excited about this (and I'm still not, to be honest), but in context it's very welcome. It's really just like Majora's Mask, although surprisingly early. It's sensible to reuse engines.

Furthermore, the gaming press went absolutely overboard with the orginal Super Mario Galaxy, so if they're underwhelmed with a direct-engine sequel, I have to suspect they weren't quite as excited as they claim about the original. If I think of the games I really love, like Wind Waker, I'd have been overjoyed at a direct-engine sequel on the GameCube.

Going back to what you say, I must admit I'd have been underwhelmed if this had been the highlight of Nintendo's E3, but it wasn't. We have proof they're giving Metroid the rethink it needs (and much earlier than I'd expected) and the same goes for Zelda (although that is due), so I'm very satisfied, relaxed and content that Nintendo is on the right path.

Although NSMB Wii looks awesome, I can't help but think I've had my fill of 4 player 2D platforming via the sublime Little Big Planet. Throw in the multitude of Mario-themed levels on there and I feel like this isn't as big a deal as Nintendo are making out. Still, Mario 'physics' and level design are always sublime, so I know I'll end up with this. 2D is sexual too. If we have sommat like Super Mario World in our hands (for depth) I'll be well up for this. It will be awesomely retro. And everyone loves retro gaming these days - we're all trying to rekindle our 1980/90's childhood!

Anyway, in regards to Super Mario Galaxy 2, I'm delighted about this. Historically speaking, Nintendo have rarely re-used engines/assets for Mario platformers whilst other developers have cranked out the sequels. (Think Sonic right up to Ratchet and Clank and how STUPID it was when Nintendo never gave us a Mario64 sequel on the N64 but then saw sense with the reusing of the Majoras Mask engine (probably due to the cost of OoT)). I'm sure Miyamoto has said that Mario is almost the pioneer for new tech and new ideas and that is why the character is used so sparingly in any adventure titles. (See Mario characters originally in Wii Sports for proofs.)

Nintendo are the masters of keeping a franchise established so seeing another 3D Mario title is a HUGE deal. I'm actually delighted and for once feel like Nintendo are making the right decision for the consumer. Something they haven't really done in the past. And with the 2D Mario coming too, that's a massive awareness of projecting the DS success (and style) onto the Wii platform. Very clever.

(Mario) Hats off to them.

Edited by tapedeck

Pretty much agree with all that's been said there TD, getting a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy is beyond awesome and getting another New Super Mario Bros with 4 player co-op is the perfect complement. :)

Nintendo doesn't announce games it wont release in the space of a year. So you can expect this before the next E3.

unless they delay them.. far as i know smash bros, metroid prime 3, and maybe even twlight were over a year of annoucement at e3

I actually have a mega urge to play this. Tonight. I must.

I have quite an urge to play Super Mario Galaxy too (and Sunshine.. strangely :heh:) but I just have too many other games to get through that I have to resist the urge and clear up a load of games!

The closest one to the end at the moment is Henry Hatsworth.. well.. I say closest, it may take ages to finish yet :indeed: That game is suicide :eek:

Hehe you say that with so much conviction... But it was but a year ago when I remembered that gruesome wait for pal Brawl.

Brawl came out a year ago, but was officially announced more than 2 years ago. With Nintendo's current policy, it would've been announced a bit later than it was.

unless they delay them.. far as i know smash bros, metroid prime 3, and maybe even twlight were over a year of annoucement at e3

Currently, if Nintendo announces a game, they're probably close enough to completion, to avoid what happened with Twilight Princess. Considering TP was the motive behind the new policy, games announced before that don't really apply, do they?

Ever since the policy was announced, long waits haven't been the norm. I remember hearing Wario Land came out a few months after it was announced, for example.

I have quite an urge to play Super Mario Galaxy too (and Sunshine.. strangely :heh:) but I just have too many other games to get through that I have to resist the urge and clear up a load of games!

The closest one to the end at the moment is Henry Hatsworth.. well.. I say closest, it may take ages to finish yet :indeed: That game is suicide :eek:

Its very tricky indeed. End boss made me want to die at one bit. I genuinely thought it was impossible, but you just have to do something that is extremely difficult to pull off, three times in a row, perfectly. OR YOU DIEEEEEEEEE.

Megawesome game though. Bring on a sequel.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!