Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Retro_Link

The original was either accidental or wasn't meant to be a big deal.

Now that Nintendo are aware and realised others were aware, they chose to take advantage of the hidden message. Hence 'ally' which makes a tad more sense than 'ay' don't you think.

At the end of the day who gives a &%$^

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some info:

My 5 favorite bits after playing it, you ask?

5. Yoshi eating-launching bullets: Bowser Jr's Fearsome Fleet is the best galaxy out of the nine shown, IMO.

4. The new leaves and trees. Loads of leaves, sunlight creating glare between them.

3. NSMB Applause when you complete one of those horribly hard sections. Yeah!

2. Three planetoids. Sooo small that Mario keeps orbiting around (Sky Station)

1. Yoshi trying to eat things behind him. Awesome animation there

The original was either accidental or wasn't meant to be a big deal.

Seeing that the in-game particles, game cover, promotion cover and video animations all showed the "u r mr gay" I highly doubt it was by accident.

1. Yoshi trying to eat things behind him. Awesome animation there

That's awesome. I'm imagining Yoshi being like "!?"

• 3 weeks later...

No Hub for Mario Galaxy 2 confirmed!

I'm furious, I loved Princess Peach's Castle in Super Mario 64. Whilst the hub world in Galaxy 1 wasn't very good, surely they could have just IMPROVED IT instead of not having one altogether. This has really annoyed me and as far as I can see, this will destroy the exploration side of things, not that there was much exploration to have in the original Galaxy anyway.

How could a hub really be meaningful in Galaxy anyway? It's not like 64 or Sunshine, where you discover portals into little hidden worlds. The whole point is travelling outwards to new Galaxies. At best it could be a larger ship that you roam around, but again, integrating that with the ability to reach new levels could be cumbersome and forced. The first game managed about as well as it could with the observatory idea, but to all intents and purposes there was no real explorable hub - and the game didn't suffer for it! If this is like a Lost Levels kinda game, it'll probably be focused on the gameplay and challenge. I know as gamers we all want what's gone before, and to recreate the sense of wonder at running around in Mario 64.. but I think we need to get over it. Galaxy 1 provided many moments of wonder and 'discovery' hub or no, and I sure this will be the same.

What a giant backwards step. There goes having a bit of fun exploring and looking around. They couldn't think of a way of improving the hub world from Galaxy 1 so do away with it altogether for a dull, flat map.

Appealing to 'casual gamers' and all that...

What a giant backwards step. There goes having a bit of fun exploring and looking around. They couldn't think of a way of improving the hub world from Galaxy 1 so do away with it altogether for a dull, flat map.

Appealing to 'casual gamers' and all that...

Or making it more like the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' map from Super Mario World...

Of course an improved explorable hub would have been 'nice' but if they really couldn't think of how to improve the one from SMG then really this option is better, the only other thing they could do is duplicate Princess Peach's Castle from SM64... but in space.

I'm looking forward to seeing what a 3D Mario with no hub turns out like. Truth be told, the space station in Galaxy wasn't that outstanding, so having the ability to get stuck straight into the levels in Galaxy 2 sounds appealing to me. They are just streamlining the experience. :)

The thing is, I think you'll all over-reacting

We have seen that the Mario-head planet is Mario's ship. However, the art and screenshots show that while it is small, there's things to do on it. Then you go to like the wheel and thus the map appears as a navigational aid

I don't have strong feelings about the hub, but I'll say this:

The point of a map screen in the 2D games was that it made sense to view the level selection from overhead, whereas the gameplay was side-scrolling. Therefore two different displays were needed (ie. map screen + gameplay screen). However, with 3D, a seamless transition between level selection and gameplay is possible. That's why, to me, a hub makes sense.

I'm not sure about this move, while a simple map works for the 2D games, I'd much prefer a hub for the 3D games, while Galaxy 1's hub wasn't the best I'm sure with a bit of work they could have made something special like Mario 64 had, Sunshines hub was also great and gave a lot of character and extra exploration to the game.

I think it's probably best to wait for the game to see how/if this works or not. It's Mario, not something Nintendo will fiddle about with lightly. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt now until I play it.

This is exactly what I was thinking, and about to write. So...y'know...I don't any more. Thanks! :grin:

I don't have strong feelings about the hub, but I'll say this:

The point of a map screen in the 2D games was that it made sense to view the level selection from overhead, whereas the gameplay was side-scrolling. Therefore two different displays were needed (ie. map screen + gameplay screen). However, with 3D, a seamless transition between level selection and gameplay is possible. That's why, to me, a hub makes sense.

If Nintendo give Galaxy 2 the treatment like they gave to Super Mario World in terms of going to another level then I will be one happy person ^^

Too this day I think Super Mario World had the best layout of all.

166.jpg

To this day I think Super Mario World had the best layout of all.

I agree, although I have a massive penchant for Delfino Plaza. The map worlds in New Super Mario Bros would be better if they were based on Super Mario World rather than Super Mario 3.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!