Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Burger Kings New Advertising Scheme

Kirkatronics

Burger King has created an application for Facebook that allows users to delete 10 friends in exchange for a free Whopper.

Taking Klondike's "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" motif to the next level, Burger King invites Facebook users to sacrifice 10 of their friends on the social networking site for a coupon for a free sandwich:

"What would you do for a free WHOPPPER? Now is the time to put your fair-weather web friendships to the test. Install WHOPPER Sacrifice on your Facebook profile, and we'll reward you with a free flame-broiled WHOPPER when you sacrifice 10 of your friends."

Sacrificed friends show up in a user's news feed.

AdWeek offers more details on the promotion:

The effort crafted by Crispin Porter + Bogusky came about after agency creative staffers confronted the too-many-friends scenario themselves on Facebook.

"We thought there could be some fun there, removing some of these people who are friends [but] not necessarily] best friends," said Jeff Benjamin, executive interactive creative director at Crispin, and friend to 736 on Facebook. "It's asking the question of which love is bigger, your love for your friends or your love for the Whopper," he said.

The app also adds a box to user profile pages charting their progress toward the free burger with the line, "Who will be the next to go?"

I think this is a great advertising idea.

What do you guys think? I think its an innovative way of advertising.

EDIT: Its only in America :(

I would do it (trim the fat of people I never actually talk to) but I don't want a whopper (Veggie Burger would be nice). Plus with the whoring of friend numbers you could probably add ten strangers who'll just accept anyone and then delete them.

Does it look like getting 10 friends is a problem?
The thing is... 414? Whenever I see someone with a facebook friends list that size I have to wonder how many real friends they have. I mean you can't possibly know that many people irl, so how many are online only? Friends of friends? Old friends? Just people from a school you went to, even though you hated or never talked to them? My friends list is fairly selective, I don't want just anyone to see my profile, and I don't want a latest updates page filled with 200 status updates and comments about people I don't even care about. I don't think I could trim it by 10 without getting rid of a few people I like.

The thing is... 414? Whenever I see someone with a facebook friends list that size I have to wonder how many real friends they have. I mean you can't possibly know that many people irl, so how many are online only? Friends of friends? Old friends? Just people from a school you went to, even though you hated or never talked to them? My friends list is fairly selective, I don't want just anyone to see my profile, and I don't want a latest updates page filled with 200 status updates and comments about people I don't even care about. I don't think I could trim it by 10 without getting rid of a few people I like.

It can be nice to speak to old friends, but most these people only accept the friends to say "Look, im more popular, i have 235 more friends than you do".

I've got 200ish friends I think. About 25 of them are from the internetz. It's amazing how many people you know when you think about it- friends from first school, family friends, secondary school, college, uni, friends through association etc etc.

I've got 200ish friends I think. About 25 of them are from the internetz. It's amazing how many people you know when you think about it- friends from first school, family friends, secondary school, college, uni, friends through association etc etc.

People I know is one thing, but I don't add people just because I know them. I have no problem turning down people I knew from secondary school who I know never particularly liked me, and are probably just adding me along with everyone else they find when they search for my year's school alumni in order to boost their friend count :/ I like it when the first page of my facebook only shows me information of what the people I really care about have been up to :D rather than a mass of conversations and comments and 'new profile pictures' I couldn't care less about.

My point being (to bring it back to the thread's point) that I seem to be one of very few who couldn't cut 10 friends from their friend list! There may be one or two that I added out of politeness (my g/f's old flatmates for example...) but I'm sure most of them would take offence! This BK promotion is clearly aimed at everyone else :heh:

People I know is one thing, but I don't add people just because I know them. I have no problem turning down people I knew from secondary school who I know never particularly liked me, and are probably just adding me along with everyone else they find when they search for my year's school alumni in order to boost their friend count :/ I like it when the first page of my facebook only shows me information of what the people I really care about have been up to :D rather than a mass of conversations and comments and 'new profile pictures' I couldn't care less about.

I feel honoured.

The thing is... 414? Whenever I see someone with a facebook friends list that size I have to wonder how many real friends they have. I mean you can't possibly know that many people irl, so how many are online only? Friends of friends? Old friends? Just people from a school you went to, even though you hated or never talked to them?

Everyone on that list is someone I've known. I only have about 5 people I've known from the internet, but that's about it. I don't know about you but unless they're someone I've met in person and liked being around, they won't be on my list. I don't know about you but I've never really stuck with one group of friends. My weekends consist of "rotations" with each group, and I'd usually integrate one with the other because I like introducing my friends to one another. Also, it helps if you've lived in another country for a large part of your life, then immigrated (which is my case). One of my best friends happens to have done this too, but on a much, much larger scale:

94289561mi2.jpg

He really does know that many people.

Everyone on that list is someone I've known. I only have about 5 people I've known from the internet, but that's about it. I don't know about you but unless they're someone I've met in person and liked being around, they won't be on my list. I don't know about you but I've never really stuck with one group of friends. My weekends consist of "rotations" with each group, and I'd usually integrate one with the other because I like introducing my friends to one another.

Rotation is essential! I try to avoid combining friend groups though. I always find it's a bit weird since I know everyone on different levels.

I've probably got about 10 internet people and about 20 people I'd happily get rid of if I could be bothered. The rest are there for a reason. I have a group of about 20 that I do hang out with a lot and talk to regularly, although from a lot of different circles so it's a bit of a mare.

About 10 of them are my non-direct family (my direct family don't do the facebook thing).