NEurope
Dante

Boy Dies From Excessive Deodorant Use

A coroner in Britain has blamed the death of a 12-year-old boy on his excessive use of spray-on deodorant.

It seems a volatile agent in the spray upset the boy's heart rhythm, but air quality experts say the boy's death is no reason to avoid the products.

Daniel Hurley was using Lynx spray-on deodorant in the bathroom of his Derbyshire home when he collapsed in January.

He died five days later in hospital because from a cardiac arrhythmia, or abnormal heart rhythms.

His father Robert Hurley told the coronial inquest that Daniel was a fit and healthy young man who was proud of his appearance, and lavish in his use of hair gels and deodorants, which he often sprayed all over his clothes.

By spraying the deodorant in a confined space, the coroner found, the concentration of solvents affected the 12-year-old's heart.

His death followed a previous incident several weeks earlier, when he had collapsed in the bathroom but immediately recovered.

The New South Wales president of the Clean Air Society, Kerrie Ross, says spray-on deodorant is safe if used properly.

"It was not being used in accordance with instructions; it was not being used in accordance with what one would normally call common sense," she said.

"In normal use, in normal sensible use, they wouldn't be a problem. [but] if you lock yourself in a room, you have a medical condition, you overuse it, of course you can cause problems.

"And if you fail to heed warnings from previous attacks, of course you can get into problems. But that's the same with anything."

There are some differences in the compositions of Lynx products sold in Britain and Australia.

But they both carry warnings against spraying large amounts of the products in confined spaces.

Ms Ross says users should pay attention to the warnings.

"Just use them with common sense, use them according to the instructions and it should be OK. It seems he was using excessive quantity," he said.

The manufacturer of Lynx deodorant, Unilever, has expressed condolences to the Hurley family; the company says it has never seen a case like this before.

abc.net.

I never knew that "not caring for the environment will be the death of us" could be taken so literally.

Moron.

Another entry for the Darwin Awards.

My thought exactly. I'm tempted to send it in to 'em...

I'm very prone to chest infections and stuff so deodorant abuse really really gets on my nerves. Apart from that it must costs a damn fortune! Especially when you buy lynx.

Manys a day I walk past a group of chavs and the smell of cheap deodorant would knock you sideways XD

When I use a small amount of deodorant I can feel it burning my lungs/throat and its awful. X(

Meh, not much sympathy for him with excessive use, common sense would of said a can every hour was bit too much :heh:

The price to smell irresistable is death. Irony.

I just noticed the kid was only 12 too :( Thats kinda sad - you wonder why the parents didn't say something.

Kinda off topic but seeing as there are a lot of males here; Do you guys all use lynx? I personally don't like lynx all that much, especially in massive doses. X(

After working on the health and beauty department in Tesco and witnessing first-hand that the main demographic for Lynx is 14 year old chavvy males, you soon stop buying it. :heh:

Right Guard ftw!

The Lynx effect, innit.

Haha!! Just imagine the advert. :heh:

Right Guard ftw!

Totally. The smell of Lynx makes me want to wretch.

Lynx is basically the smell of teen desperation.

I think this cause of death would be a suitable way to kill the designer of the Lynx adverts. Some bloke spraying himself with Lynx suddenly causes every woman to become a slut and think the guy is God's gift to society - **** off, that's just ridiculous.

What I don't understand is that 1 + 2 = 3 product. You have to buy two deoderants to make it smell decent? If anyone has bought them, are they any good alone?

The advert's good with the tasty lasses though.

I usually get whatever is on offer i.e 2 for £4 or something. Not a lover of lynx/Axe. Especially their latest one called boost. Smells distinctively medical

I use Lynx cause I can't be arsed getting anything else. But then, I dunno, it never seems to "stay".

He had it coming. He had it coming. He only had himself to blame.

If you'd had been there, if you'd had seen it, I betcha you would have done the same. (It was a murder but not a crime)

What I don't understand is that 1 + 2 = 3 product. You have to buy two deoderants to make it smell decent? If anyone has bought them, are they any good alone?

They're doing a Pokemon - you've gotta buy both versions to catch 'em all! Basically if Joe Bloggs wants to catch every single woman on the street with his saggy biceps he has to give Lynx two lots of money! Genius!

Don't forget to also buy the shower gel.

I don't need to buy deodorant ever. The gift sets I get at Christmas last me the entire year. The only thing of the sort I buy is some Sanex Anti-perspirant.

I'm content with any old deodrant -- but it takes me a year to get through the two cans that I get for christmas (and two other cans I sometimes get for my birthday...), so I have an assortment of Lynx smells. I'm glad they fade, as Haggis says, as there's nothing worse than walking down the street and getting a massive whiff of africa from some dirk.

I know girls don't like lynx - but boys don't like Impulse, so really we should be spraying each others scents on ourselves to maximise attraction.

I aint bought any deorderant for months. I used lynx sometimes, but just cos it's there, dont usually buy it cos of cheaper market alteratives etc

Also, are we sure this kid weren't just a sniffer?